Discussions

News: Free Book Download: Jakarta-Struts Live

1. Free Book Download: Jakarta-Struts Live (51 messages)

TheServerSide.com and SourceBeat Publications have teamed up to bring you the entire book of 'Jakarta-Struts Live', by Rick Hightower, in PDF format. The book covers the Struts MVC architecture, how to build each of the Struts components and shows you how to use vital features like Tiles, the Validator, DynaActionForms, plug-ins, and internationalization.

Jakarta-Struts Live also looks at how you can leverage other open-source technologies to improve your Struts development process and experiences.

Download the Free eBook PDF of Jakarta-Struts Live

Threaded Messages (51)

2. How very refreshing to have something like this, 273 pages of Struts and for free!

Personally I'm now starting to explore OpenSymphony's WebWork but our clients still use Struts big time and we get a lot of Struts based services. This PDF will be a great addition to my Linux base Zaurus C760 for reading on the London Tube on my way to the office, there's not enough room to open a average sized book in the rush hour.

Great stuff!

-John-
  3. Free Books Are Always Great[ Go to top ]

Thank you for a great book.
  4. Good book !![ Go to top ]

Thank for this book, very good, but any people having the APACHE SERVER book ?...thank you ...!!!
    Marcelo-Brasil
  5. can't download the book[ Go to top ]

I still can't download the book following the link, Can anybody shed some light on it?
  6. I now have your e book. now i shall conquer the world! ha-hah!

seriously. I think this ebook will help me greatly. I think its great that you did release this for free.

- francis
  7. Hi I am searching for mastering jakarta struts pdf. some body please help !!
  8. cant find book link for download[ Go to top ]

sir i can only see the blogs but where is the link to download the book
  9. Where's part 2[ Go to top ]

The pdf is half the book. Where's the second half? The example code is 18 Mbytes!
  10. Where's part 2[ Go to top ]

It's amazing how struts code can bloat isn't it Gary...

:)
  11. It's amazing how struts code can bloat isn't it Gary...:)
    I included the jar files in each chap example
  12. Hi Greg Lehane[ Go to top ]

Can you plz send me the attached pdf of struts book.(Jakarta-Struts Live)...
    its really urgent....
    m just unable to download.

thanks,
    aditi.
  13. Where's part 2[ Go to top ]

Gary,

I guess I don't understand your question/comment. The PDF that is made available to TSS members is the 1.0 release of Rick Hightower's "living" book. Our model is different in that readers subscribe to our particular books on an annual basis, and our authors update and add chapters each month to keep current with the technology. This release is slightly different than the current title on SourceBeat's website as Rick has added a chapter on AppFuse for April, and will have an update for May as well shortly.

I guess to answer your question, there is no "Part 2", only a first release with constant updates. I hope you some value in our book, and our model.
  14. Can't download the PDF file[ Go to top ]

I can't download the book when I clicked the PDF link. I always got a file called intercept-form.tss which is only 15KB. Can anyone tell me how to get the download work?

Thanks!
  15. Can't download the PDF file[ Go to top ]

Click on the link above which should lead you to another TSS page with a graphic of the book. Just under the book you'll see two "download" links, one for the PDF, one for the source. Click on that and it will lead you to yet another graphic, finally you can do a "save as" from there.

Just include something's really gone screwy with your browser, this is the book link:-

http://www.theserverside.com/books/sourcebeat/JakartaStrutsLive/downloads/JakartaStrutsLive.zip

-John-
  16. Still can't download[ Go to top ]

Still can't download
  17. Can't download the PDF file[ Go to top ]

I can't download the book when I clicked the PDF link. I always got a file called intercept-form.tss which is only 15KB. Can anyone tell me how to get the download work?Thanks!
    I had the exact same problem with Mozilla, but not with Internet Explorer.
  18. Still can not download pdf file, instead get tss files. How can I read the book
  19. I thought this was the complete work in *pdf format. I only got the first 8 chapters, 273 pages, when downloaded. I am on Linux/Mozilla, so maybe this has something to do with it?
  20. About Part 2[ Go to top ]

I think there is a part 2. This books (PDF format) is available for download purchase from http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?partner_id=75&cgi=biblio&inkey=91-0974884308-0

Price : $18.95

The size of that PDF file is 3.9MB, while the one we downloaded free is 2.9MB. There is no free lunch. The author put the first 8 chapters here to prove the value of this book. Now it our decision to buy the full version with $18.95.
  21. Missing Chapters[ Go to top ]

The book that is downloadable only includes chapter 1 - 8
    From where one can find a book that contains the remaining chapters
  22. This is the best book on Struts[ Go to top ]

I was struggling with Struts. This book has made it very easy to work with Struts. Thank you very much Rick, SourceBeat, and TSS.
  23. Really cool reference on Struts[ Go to top ]

I have been working on struts for 2 years now and i think that this book really demonstrates the strengths, usage and application of struts in a crystal clear manner which is kind of cool. Its really nice when you have to initiate newcomers to struts.

However it would have been a bonus if working with struts and xdoclet could have had a little place in the book. As writing the struts config files manually can be really painstaking on big projects, xdoclet automates all that and i think thats pretty neat too.
  24. Thank you for a good book.
  25. Thanks for the book![ Go to top ]

Hey!!

Thanks for the book!
  26. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

I'm just curious, maybe the Struts community can give me a clue...

After the creation of JSF, would you begin a new web project with Struts? I see that JSF is quite good (event oriented instead of action oriented) and has already an Open Source implementation like MyFaces. Surely we need Struts to maintain all those web applications, which are already written in Struts, and we don't need to rewrite them. But I don't see any good reasons - if I need to write a completely new web application - to do this in Struts. After all, I find JSF is quite easy to understand...

Any comments on this topic?

Thanks,
    Lofi.
    OpenUSS and EJOSA.
  27. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

I could name few reasons:
    - JSF is still quite new framework while Struts is mature and stable.
    - There are much more Struts than JSF developers
    - Currently there are more tools with Struts support
    - There are things that are not covered with current JSF specification so they will be implementation specific

I have no doubt that JSF time will come. Even if it is not the best MVC framework it has wide support from vendors so it cannot fail easly (just like EJBs)! But I don't think you should always choose newest and coolest technology for critical projets. Lets be honest, JSF 1.0 is just few months old. Every EA version was quite different from easch other so if you have some JSF book which is not based on 1.0 final specification it is pretty unusable. I don't think there was enough time for collecting some JSF best practices. How many successfull JSF projects do you know mby now? I haven't seen any!
    So for next few months I will stick with Struts for doing new projects and play with JSF in the free time.

On the other hand I have doubts about Struts future. I have heard and read many times that Struts and JSF will coexist and that in future you will use JSF components on the top of Struts. However, except for migrating Struts application to JSF, I don't see a reason for using both Struts and JSF. Perheps someone involved with both Struts and JSF (Craig McCalahan?) could explain this more?

Dejan
  28. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your comment. I agree with your opinion. We are in a transition time. I also don't see any advantages of Struts, as most of Struts users just use JSP as the view technique just like JSF. This would be different if I use XMLC or Tapestry... So, IMO, one reason more to use MDA on the top of our development process, as the technology movement is just too fast :-)

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  29. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your comment. I agree with your opinion. We are in a transition time. I also don't see any advantages of Struts, as most of Struts users just use JSP as the view technique just like JSF. This would be different if I use XMLC or Tapestry... So, IMO, one reason more to use MDA on the top of our development process, as the technology movement is just too fast :-)

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  30. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

Between JSF and Tapestry, I am personaly heading towards Tapestry simply becasue it is a Jakarta project as opposed to MyFaces project. I wonder if this should be such an important factor.
  31. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

I don't think it could be a valid reason. Just because some project is hosted on Jakarta does not make it good (read some of Hani's blogs). Also, there are many excellent non-jakarta projects (Hibernate, Spring, Eclipse,...)!

You should consider other things (documentation, quality, popularity, supported standards...).
  32. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

I don't think it could be a valid reason. Just because some project is hosted on Jakarta does not make it good (read some of Hani's blogs). Also, there are many excellent non-jakarta projects (Hibernate, Spring, Eclipse,...)! You should consider other things (documentation, quality, popularity, supported standards...).
    I agree with you -- although perhaps you take Hani more seriously than he does himself?

In the case of Tapestry, the documentation and quality is very good. I would love to see it approach the popularity of struts/JSP -- it deserves to.
  33. The end of Struts?[ Go to top ]

I agree with you -- although perhaps you take Hani more seriously than he does himself?
    No, that was a joke! I just didn't want to criticize any Jakarta project since he is better in doing that ;)
    I even use many jakata commons components in developemnet!
  34. Although JSF and Struts overlap in some areas, they do different things and can be used together. Read this thread for more info:
    http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=24318
  35. thank you very much TSS for giving us such a good source of learning ..... i am a biginer with struts and after exploring struts using the documentation and example application given with struts... i was realy looking for a very good book on struts and i found it on your site...thanx again and keep the same temper of helping us....
    thanx once again.
    sajjad ahmed paracha
  36. Great stuff![ Go to top ]

Great new book! Congratulations to R. Hightower and thanks to TSS for giving us such a gift!
  37. This is great stuff!

But when can we expect the rest of the book. This pdf just contains 8 chapters.
  38. The SourceBeat model allows readers to subscribe to a particular book for 12 months. The authors provide updates each month to the book, ensuring that you always have the latest and greatest information. In addition, as a subscriber you can interact with the author through list servers and weblogs. This way you can let them know your thoughts on current items and also what you would like to see in future updates.

The eight chapters available in this PDF are what is available so far. Each month moving forward, Rick will update this book and more content will become available.
  39. Thanks for posting the book on TSS. I am particularly proud of the chapter on Struts and TDD (Chapter 2).

Rick Hightower
  40. Thanks for the book![ Go to top ]

great
  41. screenshot[ Go to top ]

Good books, however the screenshot is too much and it include a whole desktop, not just the related window.
  42. Error downloading book ![ Go to top ]

Got the following error when i was tryying to download the book...

SERVLET: Can't find assemblerDownloadBook
  43. Link to download the book[ Go to top ]

Try the following link:

http://www.theserverside.com//books/sourcebeat/JakartaStrutsLive/downloads/JakartaStrutsLive.zip
  44. java Server MyFaces[ Go to top ]

can i get good book (.pdf) on MyFaces
  45. Download problem[ Go to top ]

Download works with Internet Explorer but does not work with Mozilla 1.7.1.
  46. In Memory Databases -Please Help Me![ Go to top ]

Hi, I am a carrying out my final year university project in STRUTS. Server side programming is all quite new to me and I am finding some difficulty understanding bits of the Jakarta Struts Live book.

In Chapter 3 of Jakarta Struts Live, the JDBCTestUtils class uses HyperSonic SQL; so when the connection is closed after a test, the data removed.

I am using a MySQL database for the Jakarta Struts Live tutorial. Will this be OK to use in the JDBCTestUtils class?

Can anyone explain why an in-memory database is used to test a Struts Action.

Thanks
  47. TheServerSide.com and SourceBeat Publications have teamed up to bring you the entire book of 'Jakarta-Struts Live', by Rick Hightower, in PDF format. The book covers the Struts MVC architecture, how to build each of the Struts components and shows you how to use vital features like Tiles, the Validator, DynaActionForms, plug-ins, and internationalization.Jakarta-Struts Live also looks at how you can leverage other open-source technologies to improve your Struts development process and experiences. Download the Free eBook PDF of Jakarta-Struts Live
  48. Seconds Half - Where to buy/download?[ Go to top ]

So ya..as many have continued to ask, where can we find the second half of this book? I'm looking to either download it and/or buy it. Please for the love of Struts, help us all out!
  49. Hard Copy of Jakarta Struts Live[ Go to top ]

I have read the pdf version of the book, Jakarta Struts Live. It is a book to have. I need a hard copy of the book, but can't find it in any of the book stores I know. I'm in South Africa. Any help please.
  50. Hi man, try struts2.0 and u will find it amazing.
  51. Thank you so much, Serverside.com and Rick Hightower. This is a really good document to get started with this technology and deepen into the develepment by means of Jakarta-Struts. Rafael Padron.
  52. It's Really Ver Good Book[ Go to top ]

I have read the book it was good infact it's coverd all the topics