HP Offers JBoss Support

Discussions

News: HP Offers JBoss Support

1. HP Offers JBoss Support (23 messages)

HP has announced that they will provide support for JBoss and MySQL in their servers. This offering gives HP an integrated hardware/OS/app-server support product competitive with similar offerings from IBM and Sun.

Bob Bickel, vice president of strategy and corporate development at JBoss, was a former HP exec, and it appears that he was instrumental in brokering the marriage.

Read more:

HP Throws Weight Behind MySQL, JBoss

HP Claims to Be First OEM with MySQL, JBoss Stack

In related news, JBoss 4 DR4 has been released

Threaded Messages (23)

2. HP Offers JBoss Support[ Go to top ]

Obviously now that Atul Patel has joined HP things are looking up for JBoss.

Has anyone checked Bob Bickel's IP address?

:-)

-John-
  3. I call bullshit.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/web_technologies.html

Apple supports both.

And it looks really pretty too.
  4. Actually I don't know of how many that use Mac as a server but at least you have a comfortable develop machine for those that prefer Unix, the equivalent of a Win 2003 server in MS world. It is convenient to have everything at hands!

Neither Sharepoint, Exchange or Sql Server Reporting Services installs on XP.

The about 10-15 million developers in the world is not a small market.

Why can I not but a Windows computer with "everything" installed? (both Java & .NET) It takes more than a day to set up and install all software on a new computer.

The customer is always right.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  5. Alternatives[ Go to top ]

Now there are at least 3 alternatives to using Marcf's company for support of JBoss - the server. HP, Apple & CDN. People need to disconnect JBoss the company from JBoss the software. If you don't like Marcf & company's actions, get your support from another vendor.
  6. HP Offers JBoss Support[ Go to top ]

Way to go HP.
  7. WebLogic?[ Go to top ]

Interesting. Do they (HP) still support Weblogic?

Dmitry Namiot
    http://www.servletsuite.com
  8. WebLogic?[ Go to top ]

Hello,

I guess So
    </P>
  9. WebLogic?[ Go to top ]

Interesting. Do they (HP) still support Weblogic?Dmitry Namiothttp://www.servletsuite.com
    HP still counts for something like 34% of their sales according to HP. I would say that's a fairly legitimate figure.
  10. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

Is anyone using MySQL in a production environment on a business application (lots of reads and writes)?

If so, is it pretty much the same as using Oracle/DB2/SQL Server in a J2EE application? That is, do transactions work the same way, etc.?

Thanks.

--Kevin
  11. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

The Max DB product(originally SAPDB) is engineered for large scale enterprise systems.

The SAP guys that I've worked with(independent contractors) seem to like it for stability and scalability.
  12. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

Right, but that's not what people think of when they're talking about MySQL--I don't think, anyway.

I'm pretty sure SAPDB is a similar type database to the Oracle/DB2/SQL Server variety, but I'm not too sure about MySQL.

--Kevin
  13. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

I've used MySQL on a couple of fairly large scale projects and it works pretty well within its limitations. I've had it up to 200 simultaneous transactions on a single Linux box running for 48 hours - more than I ever get out of SQL Server on Windows. Things to look out for are that the SQL implementation remains particularly non-standard which is a pain if you have to switch DB's at any point - also I found that the sub selects had a tendency to kill my server (support for sub-selects is pretty new so it may have just been a bit buggy in the version I was using) and I remember the outer join support used to be awful but I think they may have sorted this out now. Still a good alternative to SQL Server if you're looking for an OK medium sized DB.
  14. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

I've used MySQL on a couple of fairly large scale projects and it works pretty well within its limitations.

It's pretty quick with simple queries .. I think the problems come with anything complex, like inner / outer / nested joins, subqueries, etc.

If you are (for example) using a simple Entity EJB mapping (EJB -> SQL table) then you will probably have no problems with MySQL. If you are doing super-optimized complicated selects with joins, you may find the hyper-expensive Oracle options to be a bargain (which is to say that it pays for itself very quickly when compared to Rogain.)

Just keep in mind that MySQL (the company) has stated that they expect to be paid for licenses if you use it for commercial-use applications, so while it's free as in speech, it isn't free as in beer.

Now let's talk about beer .. ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  15. MySQL with C#[ Go to top ]

Cameron: "Just keep in mind that MySQL (the company) has stated that they expect to be paid for licenses if you use it for commercial-use applications, so while it's free as in speech, it isn't free as in beer."

If you use MySQL together with the commercial C# libraries dbProvider or MySQLDirect ($149) then MySQL will charge you for a commercial license of MySQL!
    http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2002_10.html

On the other hand, MySQL has acquired the popular Open Source ByteFX.Data provider that also is used by the Mono team. Expect MySQL to be big on Windows too.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  16. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

.Now let's talk about beer ..
    Didn't get enough at the conference? Or finally recovered?
  17. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

<quote>Just keep in mind that MySQL (the company) has stated that they expect to be paid for licenses if you use it for commercial-use applications, so while it's free as in speech, it isn't free as in beer.</quote>

You used the right phrase "they expect". MySQL is GPL license. Free to use, free to distribute. Period. They may EXPECT something else.

As I remember, a Boston company modified MySQL and re-distribute it using MySQL name. MySQL brought the company to court. The result was: 1. The Boston company must stop using MySQL name: that is a trade mark. 2. No money remedy: the original MySQL is free, no damage.

Wei
    Acelet
  18. "MySQL GPL" in action[ Go to top ]

NuSphere owned by Progress Software Corporation was distributing a package called MySQL Advantage that consisted of many parts, Apache, Perl/PHP scripting, and the proprietary Gemini storage module linked to MySQL.

The case from MySQL was that Progress had broken the GPL contract by not including the source code for the Gemini software on its distribution medium. (Although Progress did include the Gemini source code in a later release.)

So the case was not that they had modified MySQL and re-distribute it, which is allowed, but that they not had included the source code from the beginning.

As it was solved by settlement we don't know the details, but as the NuSphere Corporation continues to distribute the package with MySQL and all, the odds is that the reimbursement to MySQL AB was quite satisfactory. And that only for the short period they did not include the code!

And if you use a small database library for 99 dollar you have to pay for the whole database. :)

http://shop.soft32.com/buy-B00005QXVU-AsinSearch-us.html
    http://www.nusphere.com/releases/2002/110702.htm

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  19. "MySQL GPL" in action[ Go to top ]

See: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1577235,00.asp:

<quote>
    District Court Judge Patti B. Saris, in Boston, ruled that NuSphere must stop using the MySQL name within 45 days, but she denied MySQL AB's request to stop NuSphere from selling their distribution of the actual MySQL database.
    </quote>

The settlement was AFTER the court, as I remember.

Wei
    Acelet
  20. "MySQL GPL" in action[ Go to top ]

The settlement was before the second trial, of the GPL.
  21. "MySQL GPL" in action[ Go to top ]

MySQL users looking for a scalable database without commercial license costs should look at Firebird. It is an open source implementation forked off of Borland Interbase code. It has good tools and works well for me.
  22. OT: MySQL?[ Go to top ]

Fast history:
    Sap had to use Oracle, SQL Server or something similar to support its enterprise solutions, and that was a huge amount of money that went on the backs of their clients. So they decided to get their own solution. They buyed a snapshot of Software AG's Adabas along with the rights to make it open source. They named it SapDB and started their own development path at that point. It gained some momentum, but it wasn't enough so finally they decided to ship it with MySQL as MySQL MaxDB. MySQL got an enterprise class database, and SapDB got a well known name and a huge customer base. Now they continue development on both platforms, improving also their integration.

I've used SapDB, and it's a very good product. It has some shortcommings that you won't find in Oracle, some others that you won't find in SQL Server (less), but usually they're minor issues. It's stable, robust, scalable, and free. It's worth a try!
  23. HP Offers JBoss Support[ Go to top ]

You flatter me, but I did not broker the deal... HP decided they wanted to offer a complete open source stack and have a mechanism to support the product. HP was drawn to JBoss by the very large market share and a number of joint customers. HP's support is fully backed up by JBoss, Inc. and includes support for Hibernate and Tomcat.

Bob Bickel
    JBoss
  24. HP Offers JBoss Support[ Go to top ]

HP was drawn to JBoss by the very large market share and a number of joint customers.
    Yeah, theirs ;-)