M7 Introduces NitroX for Jakarta Struts, Eclipse Edition

Discussions

News: M7 Introduces NitroX for Jakarta Struts, Eclipse Edition

1. M7 NitroX for Struts is now available for download. NitroX includes a real-time source and visual JSP editor, Struts editor, consistency checker, and JSP/Struts debugger. The AppXRay feature aims to keep track of the interrelationships within your application.

Read the press release: M7 Introduces NitroX for Jakarta Struts, Eclipse Edition

Threaded Messages (15)

2. -- Over 90% of Java developers are developing JSP-based web applications

-- Over 70% of web application development is based on the Jakarta Struts framework

-- Over 50% of Java developers use an Eclipse-based IDE as their development environment
    and this is based on... smells like BS to me
  3. -- Over 90% of Java developers are developing JSP-based web applications
    Not true. J2EE is widly used for B2B...
    -- Over 70% of web application development is based on the Jakarta Struts framework
    I agree that Struts is widely used, but 70%, no way!
    -- Over 50% of Java developers use an Eclipse-based IDE as their development environment
    Maybe.

They are using numbers to sel thier products!
  4. The product looks nice.[ Go to top ]

I just visited the product page. It looks very nice. The best HTML/JSP editor I have seen.
  5. The product looks nice.[ Go to top ]

I just visited the product page. It looks very nice. The best HTML/JSP editor I have seen.
    I've heard some negative things about JDeveloper in the past, but I recently installed and began using Oracle JDeveloper 10g and it has, I think, a very impressive Visual editor to HTML/JSP. In fact, I really liked the overall feel of JDeveloper. Maybe it's much improved over previous releases?

Mike
  6. This product is a very good Eclipse plugin.
    I try it since the beta (around 2 month ago) and I like this product.
    I strongly refer Nitrox to all web developers.
  7. I have tested this plugin in a large existing web application.
    It looks good and can be usefull.
    There are 3 weaks points:
    - don't manage multiples tiles config files
    - could not be installed on eclipse 3
    - I have seen some time an overload of the mem usage (you cannot use yo pc during some minutes)
  8. beware of support[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    from my previous working experience with "M7 Studio", I would not recommand using Nitrox to manage profesionnal struts-based projects.
    Even opensource tools provide better and faster support, clearer strategic orientation (not only driven by buzz-words).
  9. Can you be more specific?[ Go to top ]

NitroX is a completely new product. Can you be more specific? Having come from 2004 JavaOne, everyone we showed to was very impressed. (same as what you can download today) That said, at JavaOne, most every vendor demos well. The proof is in the doing, not just demos and buzzwords. The trialware is available at www.m7.com. We would welcome any serious, objective evaluation.
  10. Let's be more specific...[ Go to top ]

Yes, Nitrox is a brand new product but M7, the company, isn't brand new. They already released a product, called M7 Studio, once available in "Enterprise" or "Pro" edition.
    The "M7 Studio" product was nice looking, demos showed that you can quickly produce web-applications, we evaluated it and others, found M7 was the best to fit our needs, bought it.
    But working months with it, we found bugs (that is normal, no software is 100% bug-free). We submitted about 10 of them, 2 were corrected, the rest, including "critical" ones were abandonned, because the team was working on Nitrox. We had to deal with custom-made workarounds...

just be aware of that when choosing a Struts-oriented tool, if M7 company in 6 months decides they'd rather sell a springframework-oriented editor, you may not be able to get support on Nitox anymore.
  11. reasonable[ Go to top ]

You have very reasonable point. Before struts, there were a number of proprietary frameworks, all of which went bust (i.e. Alto Web and more recently WakeSoft) I would contend that if M7 continued to focus on a proprietary framework, it too would meet the same fate.

Now that M7 supports open source and open standards, the risks are mitigated greatly as applications developed would be based on open standards. The ROI that NitroX provides is in productivity of developing applications based on open standards like JSP, Struts and JSF. NitroX is an eclipse based plug-in.

That said, I sympathize to your dilema and I believe M7 offers a reasonable migration path for customers who would like to migrate to NitroX and an open standards based architecture.
  12. Can you be more specific?[ Go to top ]

Hi there,

I'm evaluating your NitroX product at this moment and I have some questions for you. I really like the extra views it adds to Eclipse and especially the JSP designer/source editor. I'm also interested in the AppXRay feature and I think something like this is highly useful for model-driven development with Struts.

I'm a bit concerned, however, as I have found that Eclipse (and my entire system) freezes for around 5 minutes at a time when I try to performs certain memory-intensive operations. Basically the whole system slows to a halt and continuing my work becomes impossible.

This usually happens when I try to debug a JSP page or launch Tomcat from within the IDE. I noticed that your plugin uses Eclipse's JSP indexing capability and I have read from other sources that this uses the JDT indexer which leaks a lot of memory. I have seen this behaviour in other Eclipse plugins and what some people are doing to get around this is to simply disable JSP validation/indexing in Eclipse.

I didn't see an option to disable this in the NitroX preferences page, and I was just wondering, is there another way to disable/avoid using JSP indexing in NitroX? If not, does your development team have plans for a workaround or perhaps a replacement engine to perform this service?

Thank you for your time,
    Tarantula

http://www.tarantulaconsulting.com
  13. More specifics[ Go to top ]

Hi Ian,

I'm glad to hear you're evaluating NitroX. We don't use Eclipse's JSP indexing. We mostly roll our own magic.

I am surprised to hear your system is hanging. How much memory do you have? Swap space? We recommend half a Gig RAM. My own system, a Dell laptop with half a Gig runs fine. I've recently been evaluationg our own NitroX with other products, such as JBuilder, etc. and have them both running at the same time, with no issues as you've described. Sure, the disk will thrash more but otherwise, it's ok. This includes testing the debugging with Tomcat 4.1 or 5.

Our developers were very coucious of memory. Regarding scalability, we had one customer who chose our product simply because it was the only one they tried (and they tried most of them) that could handle their web app. We were very pleased about that. :)
    Hi there,I'm evaluating your NitroX product at this moment and I have some questions for you. I really like the extra views it adds to Eclipse and especially the JSP designer/source editor. I'm also interested in the AppXRay feature and I think something like this is highly useful for model-driven development with Struts. I'm a bit concerned, however, as I have found that Eclipse (and my entire system) freezes for around 5 minutes at a time when I try to performs certain memory-intensive operations. Basically the whole system slows to a halt and continuing my work becomes impossible.This usually happens when I try to debug a JSP page or launch Tomcat from within the IDE. I noticed that your plugin uses Eclipse's JSP indexing capability and I have read from other sources that this uses the JDT indexer which leaks a lot of memory. I have seen this behaviour in other Eclipse plugins and what some people are doing to get around this is to simply disable JSP validation/indexing in Eclipse. I didn't see an option to disable this in the NitroX preferences page, and I was just wondering, is there another way to disable/avoid using JSP indexing in NitroX? If not, does your development team have plans for a workaround or perhaps a replacement engine to perform this service?Thank you for your time,Tarantula http://www.tarantulaconsulting.com
  14. -- Over 90% of Java developers are developing JSP-based web applications -- Over 70% of web application development is based on the Jakarta Struts framework -- Over 50% of Java developers use an Eclipse-based IDE as their development environment
    and this is based on... smells like BS to me
    What would you say the numbers are? Just out of curiosity?
  15. I would guess...[ Go to top ]

-- Over 60% of Java developers are developing JSP-based web applications
    -- Over 30% of web application development is based on the Jakarta Struts framework
  16. Truth hurts doesn't it[ Go to top ]

I get quite amused at people who because of their pet language or software platform cannot or will not give a valid review of products. The truth of the matter is that the figures listed are quite valid if not a little on the low side.

Do the research before showing your ignorance.