How to install SQL Server 2000

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: How to install SQL Server 2000

1. How to install SQL Server 2000 (5 messages)

Can anybody give me the steps to install SQL Server 2000 ?
    I am installing from a CD which says that "Only Client Tools will be available".
    What does it mean ?
    Plz help.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. How to install SQL Server 2000[ Go to top ]

What Windows version do you have? You need a server version of Windows (Win 2000 Server / Win 2003) to install a full-fledged SQL Server 2000 edition. If you want to install on XP or W2K workstation, you need the "Personal edition" of SQL Server 2000 or a "MSDE".

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_ar_ts_8ynn.asp

Kind Regards,
    Stefan
  3. SQL Server Versions[ Go to top ]

It may be that you are using Enterprise edition - if you use Developer edition (should be on the same CD) then that should allow you to install sever tools.
  4. SQL Server Versions[ Go to top ]

I have such problem when I tried to install 'Developer' edition in my Windows XP professional:

when it come to the 'Services Accounts" page in the installation wizzard, in the "Services setting", the wizzard automatically checked "Use a domain user account" and filled in the "user name" and "Domain" with my name and computer name respectively. I tried to put in the password I used when I log in XP as computer powered on, but it always said the following error:

"The logon account cannot be validated for the SQL server service. Verify the user name and password entered are correct. The logon attempt failed."

I didn't install anything else before. Shall I install something else before I install SQL server 2000, developer edition? If so, what should I install and where to get them?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn
  5. SQL Server Versions[ Go to top ]

I have such problem when I tried to install 'Developer' edition in my Windows XP professional:

when it come to the 'Services Accounts" page in the installation wizzard, in the "Services setting", the wizzard automatically checked "Use a domain user account" and filled in the "user name" and "Domain" with my name and computer name respectively. I tried to put in the password I used when I log in XP as computer powered on, but it always said the following error:

"The logon account cannot be validated for the SQL server service. Verify the user name and password entered are correct. The logon attempt failed."

I didn't install anything else before. Shall I install something else before I install SQL server 2000, developer edition? If so, what should I install and where to get them?

Thanks in advance.
  6. Easy Steps[ Go to top ]

i think you are using win xp with sql 2000 server, install msde2000 first from office xp 2000 cd then install sql server 2000, it will work