Announcing Doclipse: JavaDoc tag plug-in for Eclipse

Discussions

News: Announcing Doclipse: JavaDoc tag plug-in for Eclipse

1. Cedric Beust has announced Doclipse, an Eclipse plug-in to help you write Java source files with Javadoc tags, either for documentation purposes or to be processed by a tool such as EJBGen or XDoclet.

Doclipse announcement

Doclipse home page

Threaded Messages (24)

2. Great![ Go to top ]

Just what I've been waiting for!
  3. Sweet![ Go to top ]

Very nice Cedric. Took me all of one minute to integrate our custom XDoclet tags. The only thing I noticed is I got a nasty error message when I pressed Ctrl+Space in the comments *before* I typed the @ symbol. Besides that - works like a champ. Not bad for a 0.0.1 release :-)

Ryan
  4. Do you have xdoclet definition files? I am lazy:)
  5. Sweet![ Go to top ]

Guys, feel free to send me your definition files and I will integrate them in the distribution. I have quite a few enhancements in mind.

The error parsing is very crude at this point so if you make a typo in your XML file, for example, it will probably very silently fail. I will fix that very soon.

Stay tuned!

--
    Cedric
  6. Good stuff Cedric!

This is something I have wanted to do for a long while, but never got around to.

Does anyone know if IDEA's openapi makes it possible to write a similar plugin? One that suggest tags based on context? Last time I checked the openapi didn't support this. (I'm NOT thinking about the low-level context-less tag support IDEA already has).
  7. New version of Doclipse[ Go to top ]

I just uploaded a new version of Doclipse, which now contains a definition file for Hibernate (thanks Ryan!) tags and also an improved preference page that allows you deselect files individually.

You should delete the previous directory of the plug-in before installing this one (the directory inside the zip no longer contains the version number, which makes things simpler for now).
  8. See also JBoss IDE[ Go to top ]

This functionality is also offered by JBoss IDE, a suite of Eclipse plugins targeted at the JBoss platform.

See http://www.jboss.org/developers/projects/jboss/jbosside.jsp
    and page 10 of the JBoss IDE Tutorial:
    http://aleron.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/jboss/Tutorial-1.2.2.pdf
  9. Doclipse[ Go to top ]

I created a mailing-list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doclipse/

I have also received definition files for Struts, SOAP and AXIS. I'll upload the new version soon.
  10. Eclipse cannot create the preference page due to the ClassNotFoundException : DoclipsePreferencePage.
  11. See also JBoss IDE[ Go to top ]

You can also use it for any other module that is supported by XDoclet.
  12. XDoclet tags[ Go to top ]

You can also use it for any other module that is supported by XDoclet.
    I just sent Cedric the Doclipse files for all of XDoclet 1.2.1's modules. In case you want to use them before he incorporates them into the next Doclipse release, you can find them here. The ZIP file also includes an XSLT file that I used to transform XDoclet's own xtags.xml files (used to generate XDoclet's documentation) into Doclipse files.
  13. you forgot something[ Go to top ]

you need add <description>EJB XDoclet tags</description> on every xml files, otherwise, it doesn't work
  14. you forgot something[ Go to top ]

I have downloaded the latest xip file.
    Do you mean that I have to modify each xml file from distribution?!
    Cedric do you have any comments on this?
    Thank you.
  15. you forgot something[ Go to top ]

I have downloaded the latest xip file.Do you mean that I have to modify each xml file from distribution?!Cedric do you have any comments on this?Thank you.
    It seems that the problem has nothing to do with the "description" tag as was suggested. The XML files work for me as-is...unless I try them on my XP box.

You see, I generated the latest versions on my Powerbook last night and they worked fine. After reading this post, I tried them on my XP box at work and they didn't work. But, if I open them up in my text-editor and resave them, they work fine.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I thought it might be end-of-line characters, but a quick look at the files didn't support that theory. I'll keep looking and let you know.
  16. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

It seems that the problem is only with the following XML files: jmx.xml, jdo.xml, tjdo.xml, solarmetric.xml, and xdoclet.xml. If you eliminate these 5 files everything else works fine.

So, what's so special about these? Well, for starters all of them except for jmx.xml have attributes where target="field". And, jmx.xml has attributes where target="constructor". I'm guessing that Doclipse only supports target="method" and target="class".
  17. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

Right, I will add support for constructor and field very soon. In the meantime, just deselect the files that don't work and you should be fine.

New release is imminent with completion on tag name, attribute and attribute values.

--
    Cedric
  18. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

Right, I will add support for constructor and field very soon. In the meantime, just deselect the files that don't work and you should be fine.New release is imminent with completion on tag name, attribute and attribute values.-- Cedric
    Actually, you have to do more than just deselect them...you need to remove those files completely. You'll get an error when you pull up the preferences window if it sees those files laying around.
  19. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

I tried the latest zip file from Cedric site on my linux box.
    So I suspect it is either the file format of the code itself.
    Eclipse log says something about: ClassNotFoundException as I mentioned ealier.
  20. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

ClassNotFound is not good... Can you email me your log?

Let's continue the discussion on the doclipse mailing-list: http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/doclipse

--
    Cedric
  21. unsupported targets[ Go to top ]

Your first version used to work ok on my linux/eclipse environment.
    Something has changed snce then I guess.
    I will try to signup to yahoo.
  22. you forgot something[ Go to top ]

It may be the file format - I am trying out on my Linux box.
    I will try to hack my way out for now.
  23. Nice one![ Go to top ]

Nice one Cedric!

It took me a whole minute to download and install the plugin in Eclipse 3 and another 2 to create a first draft of a custom doclipse XML that declares the custom tags we use with our MDA tool. So now when I update our MDA templates and add a new tag, everybody on the team will be able to use it in Eclipse by just updating the file from CVS. It will definitely save us time and typos.

Thanks

Bruno
  24. Nice one![ Go to top ]

Nice one Cedric!It took me a whole minute to download and install the plugin in Eclipse 3 and another 2 to create a first draft of a custom doclipse XML that declares the custom tags we use with our MDA tool. So now when I update our MDA templates and add a new tag, everybody on the team will be able to use it in Eclipse by just updating the file from CVS. It will definitely save us time and typos.ThanksBruno
    Happy to hear that, Bruno.

I just posted a better version on the mailing-list and a few more improvements will be coming very soon:

- Completion on attributes and attribute values
    - Constrained attribute values, e.g. "true" and "false"
    - Documentation for tags and attributes during completion
    - etc...

--
    Cedric
  25. help with doeclipse plz!![ Go to top ]

hi just downloaded and tried to install doeclipse but it is not being
    read by eclipse 3.1.1

steps taken
    1. downloaded doeclipse zip file
    2. unzipped it to eclipse/plugin directory (so I have a folder called