Discussions

General J2EE: Weblogic or Websphere for self-training?

1. Weblogic or Websphere for self-training? (5 messages)

Hi Guys,

I would like to do some self-training on one of the two app servers (Weblogic 8 or Websphere) to gain some more hands on experience on J2EE.

Could you please let me know which one would be a better app server to do self-training on?

The main criteria for me are:
    1) Penetration of product in Telecom or finance industry – approx. how many companies are adopting the product in North America?
    2) Quality of documentation available with the trial versions – how easy is it to read the documentation and learn the ins and outs of the product?
    3) Length of trial period – I think Weblogic has a 1 year trial license while Websphere has 6 months trial license. Is that right?
    4) Quality of the IDE to build J2EE and application integration solutions.

Looking forward to your advice and experience on this.
  2. Use JBoss...[ Go to top ]

Hello,

to "gain more hands-on experience with J2EE" you should try JBoss. It has an unlimited trial license :o) and you can use Eclipse with JBossIDE as IDE.

On http://www.jboss.org you can also find links to some documentation and some books (at least "Enterprise Java Beans, 3rd Edition" from O'Reilly) are extended with JBoss examples (there's a "JBoss Workbook") you can try.

A good start is the "Getting started" tutorial from JBoss Inc. itself.

Regards,

René
  3. 1) Penetration of product in Telecom or finance industry – approx. how many companies are adopting the product in North America?
    If this is your main concern, you should go with Websphere. I am not sure about Telecom, but the Finance industry is overwhelmingly IBM-based.
    2) Quality of documentation available with the trial versions – how easy is it to read the documentation and learn the ins and outs of the product?

3) Length of trial period – I think Weblogic has a 1 year trial license while Websphere has 6 months trial license. Is that right?

4) Quality of the IDE to build J2EE and application integration solutions.Looking forward to your advice and experience on this.
    For all these factors, I feel that Weblogic wins out. It is a better and easier to use server environment and the trial license for developers is basically unlimited. I have not used their IDE, but WSAD is so bad that Weblogic Studio can't be any worse.
  4. It isn't true that WSAD is bad. WSAD is a very good product with many futures. It's based on Eclipse. There are many plugins - wizards, views, etc.

WebSphere is a very good application server with documentation

You can see on http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/Websphere
    There is books about WebSphere.
  5. Don't get me wrong. I love Eclipse, and think it is a great tool. I have had a lot of trouble with WSAD, though. It seems to have about twice the memory footprint of Eclipse, and a lot of its added futures (wizards, etc.) are flaky and hard to work with.

I much prefer the commandline-tool/simple-xml-config-file approach of Weblogic to the wizard-tool/incomprehensible-xmi-file approach of WSAD and Websphere. It is very hard to integrate a wizard into an automated build process.
  6. Right,JBoss is the best choice[ Go to top ]

JBoss is the right choice rather than Weblogic or WebSphere since JBoss is open source software.