Discussions

General J2EE: RMI vs EJB architectural qustion

1. RMI vs EJB architectural qustion (7 messages)

I am working on a project that will be acessed fron web and using swing clints locally and most of the business logic is shared among the two ends.
    the estimated active users from both ends will be 100 users abd most of objects to be transfered are collection of information and Hibernate objects and there is a high potential for integrating other appliations the same way.
    I have suggested using RMI for remoting instead of EJB for several resons:

1.no heavy transactional operation to use JTA.
    2.the number of concurrent users will not exceed 100
    3.all the information are data centric where data will be transfered from tiar to tiea.

what I am not sure of is that RMI can scale will in such loads and provide resonable reponse time or not ,in addetion to the fact that there might be other plcation get integrated on the future to the one tha is beaing developed and those will be of the same architctura nature.

please provide with any advise or useful information on tha regard.
  2. I have used RMI in a similar situation, and it worked great. It was very nice to eliminate the need for an app server.
  3. Thank you matthew,
    would you please provide with extra information on your case if this is possible I would really appreciate it.
  4. Thank you matthew,would you please provide with extra information on your case if this is possible I would really appreciate it.
    It was an application that gather information (surveys) from users. There was a html, vxml and swing front ends. There where 5000+ html, 1000+vxml and 100+ swing concurent users. We ran the html and vxml apps in tomcat, and had a standalone jvm with rmi supporting the swing app.

MySql uner Hibernate was the datastore.
  5. If I had to do it over again, I would probbly use stateless session beans. RMI is not know by most developers, EJB should be.
  6. If I had to do it over again, I would probbly use stateless session beans. RMI is not know by most developers, EJB should be.
    I would expect far more developers to know RMI than EJB.
  7. If you expect to integrate more applications, you are talking about scalability capability. Exactly what an application server should provide. "Eliminating the need for an application server" is quite an arbitrary criteria, in my opinion.

Regards,
    Martin
  8. Re: RMI vs EJB architectural qustion[ Go to top ]

If you got an requirement to scale your application, to be deployed in few instances and able to support the clustering for fail over. In this case, RMI got problem. So EJB can be the right scalable solution, if you think in terms of maintainablity and future proof. Regs