Discussions

Performance and scalability: Network Bandwidth consumed, slows application

1. I'm testing an intranet multiuser online application built using JSP / Struts / EJB. The database is on Oracle 9i and the application is deployed on PRAMATI server.

When the appliation is accessed by 2 or more users on 64kbps line(WAN connection), it utilizes whole network bandwidth and access to the application slows down.

Any solutions / probable reasons ??
  2. Dheeraj,

You can do the following to optimise the uses of bandwidth

* Compress the response outputs.
    * Explore the possibility of using a Display Server (like Citrix)
    * Identify if your application screens have any area that gets refreshed again and again and the contents are static. If there are any such area then isolate them from the rest of the screen by putting them inside elements like iframes and avoid repeated refreshing of them.

Hope this helps !

Cheers,
    Lala
  3. Dheeraj,You can do the following to optimise the uses of bandwidth
    * Compress the response outputs.
    Not an option, the client suspects an HTTP response (guess based on the fact that struts is being used).
    * Explore the possibility of using a Display Server (like Citrix)
    And exactly how does that solve the problem?
    Citrix pumps everything over your network.
    * Identify if your application screens have any area that gets refreshed again and again and the contents are static. If there are any such area then isolate them from the rest of the screen by putting them inside elements like iframes and avoid repeated refreshing of them.
    Iframes tend to be evil, I would avoid them.
    Hope this helps !Cheers,Lala
    Cheers.

What I would have a look at if I were you is to identify exactly _what_ is costing you all the bandwidth and on which part;
    - if it's between the app server and the webserver
      -> start using/optimising your DTO's
    - if it's between the DB and the app server
      -> optimise your queries.

Rule of thumb: minimise the number of network calls.

Anyway, if that doesn't solve it you're running your servers you should consider the fact that the line your servers run on are not sufficient.
  4. Hi.,
    Please use load balancing technique .. almost al the popular servers support the feature . And predominently please write some optimized code ... and remember not to make load any images or *.wma or movie based clips or flash related files to load on to start up of u r aplpiaction.
    try this and if not getting pls let me know at my email
    <instrumantat at netscape dot net>

Krishna Kishore
  5. I'm testing an intranet multiuser online application built using JSP / Struts / EJB. The database is on Oracle 9i and the application is deployed on PRAMATI server.When the appliation is accessed by 2 or more users on 64kbps line(WAN connection), it utilizes whole network bandwidth and access to the application slows down.Any solutions / probable reasons ??
    You shoult try to use a load testing tool. You can save a script that simulates the real use of the application. Then, you can run the script and see how much size get the resulting HTML pages. Probably, you are going to find that several pages are ver big (more than 20-30 kbytes) or maybe you are using huge images or javascript files.

If you find that the pages are small, maybe you should try to check the cache parameters of the browsers (maybe they have the cache disabled).

Jose Ramon Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga/