Difference between application server and webserver

Discussions

EJB design: Difference between application server and webserver

1. Dear All,
         I am back to the site after a long time. Can any one give me the list of differences between Application Server(s) and Web Server(s). I am bit confused to list out them.

Regards,
    Pardhu.
  2. Dear All,     I am back to the site after a long time. Can any one give me the list of differences between Application Server(s) and Web Server(s). I am bit confused to list out them.Regards,Pardhu.
    Hello
    Webserver is a server which handles HTTP requests and send HTTP response back to the client i.e Browser in most cases. So in J2EE terms it supports JSP and Servlet and other web-tier components.
    Whereas Application server provides the runtime environment for running the distributed components like EJB. It is scalable and high performance server than webserver.It supports messaging thru JMS in addition to webserver components like jsp and servlet.By runtime env. for EJB i meant handling the EJB life cycle,creating instance pools to boost performance . Entity-Database mapping. JDBC Connection pools and providing transactional Datasources etc are the key features of a App. server.
    For e.g: BEA Weblogic is a application server whereas Apache Tomcat server is a web server(Servlet container).
    thanks
    Amit