Eclipse Project release 3.0 now available

Discussions

News: Eclipse Project release 3.0 now available

1. Eclipse Project release 3.0 now available (26 messages)

We've come a long way since Eclipse 2.1 shipped (March 28, 2003). Thanks to the boundless energy of the Eclipse community, the Eclipse 3.0 final release is finally ready. Here are just some of the more noteworthy things available in the Eclipse 3.0 release now available for download from eclipse.org downloads page.

Platform, SWT
    Text, Team & CVS
    Ant, Search, Compare, Help, Update/Install
    Java Editor
    Java Tools
    Java Refactoring
    Java Compiler, JUnit
    Debug
    PDE

http://www.eclipse.org

3.0 End game

Threaded Messages (26)

2. www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/[ Go to top ]

www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/
  3. fagenheit911.com[ Go to top ]

Frak! You again? Spam spam spam.

Who in the world wants to see this arcane vision of dribble from a washed up director? Talk about a lame democratic ploy... it drips with lies and mis-direction. Maybe Moore should run the country for a while, and we could make a movie about him and how bad he is.
  4. It is worth mentioning that Eclipse 3.0 supports SSH2 for CVS
  5. It is worth mentioning that Eclipse 3.0 supports SSH2 for CVS
    What is the advantage of using SSH2? Is it more secure? How secure is it not using SSH2?

Are there any side effects of using SSH2 (slower performance for example)?

Is there any reason not to use SSH2?
  6. SSH2[ Go to top ]

Its just that it supports it. This is useful for repositories that require SSH2 it does not mean you have to use SSH2.

Although SSH2 is supposedly more secure than SSH1.
  7. It is worth mentioning that Eclipse 3.0 supports SSH2 for CVS
    What is the advantage of using SSH2? Is it more secure? How secure is it not using SSH2?Are there any side effects of using SSH2 (slower performance for example)?Is there any reason not to use SSH2?
    It's definately worth mentioning SSH2, this is a very secure protocol that sits on TCP/IP and runs mainly on UNIX/Linux (Cygwin is a good option for Windows). It is a very powerful protocol, the SSH clients can do some amazing things, probably one of the most powerful commands in UNIX/Linux, certainly one of the most useful.

Anyway, to the point, if you use CVS over SSH2 (i.e. with the "ext" CVS protocol) you get a very secure connection to the server, plus you can do some sexy things like pipe it through other ports, tunnel it, redirect it etc. etc.

Without SSH then your probably using pserver, Window's sspi or one of the other half dozen or so. SSH is by far the best but it does have the disadvantage of requiring port 22 which is often closed by many company firewalls.

If you can use it, use it.

-John-
  8. BUSH AND HIS FRIEND BIN LADEN.....
  9. Nice...[ Go to top ]

Congrats guys. Between the awesome new features, speed, and new plugin support, you've managed to pull me out of intellij, mostly, and into eclipse. I'm in the process of switching. I never thought I'd see the day...

The tool is bad to the bone.
  10. welcome eclipse 3.0[ Go to top ]

Eclipse is raising standards of open source program editing.
  11. This is good, first we get the "Eclipse Foundation Announces Eclipse 3.0" on the 21st and now the actual "Eclipse Project release 3.0 now available". Off I go for another download...

What's more interesting though is the two or three "noisy" posts about a well known film released recently, are the two things connected I wonder, does Michael Moore know something about Eclipse we should know. Was Eclipse secretly funded by Donald Rumsfeld or has George Bush just noticed that the 11th August 1999 eclipse went through Iraq and got all confused?

Answers by encrypted postcards please.

-John-
  12. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Ok, I've been using Intellij Idea for a while and am satisfied, but I'd still like to at least check out Eclipse. Want to know my problem? They made it incredibly difficult to actually download!

If I go to Intellij.com, I see a download for the Idea trial. I click the link; download the file; run it. Slam bam, thank you ma'am, I'm good to go.

As a complete Eclipse newb, here's my experience:

1) I go to Eclipse.org. That was easy. The site for the product was at the address I had hoped it would be.

2) Nice and visible "downloads" link on the left nav bar. Perfect. I click it.

4) Whoa... lots of mirrors. I have no idea which one to choose as the ones in and out of the US are all mixed together. Oh... I scroll down and see a "Mirrors by Geography" link. Why isn't that the default? I click it

5) Kind of confusing page, but I find what I need. I *think* that the way to get to the download I want is by clicking on the name of the mirror. This isn't obvious, but I guess I give that a try. I click on "cudlug.cudenver.edu"

6) Crud... now I see what appears to be just a directory structure. All of the directories are named "I-I20040624-200406241728/" or "S-3.0M3-200308281813/". I have no idea what the heck any of this means, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I know I'm looking for the "release 3.0" of Eclipse and one of the 40(!) entries on this page is "R-3.0-200406251208/". The numeric part of that is probably a date and 6/25 is fairly recent so I'll give it a shot.

7) Peachy... another directory structre with three times as many entries. I have no frikkin idea which one of these I'm actually supposed to download. At this point I give up.

Back on the main "downloads" page, way at the bottom, is a link to the "Main" downloads area. I decide to give that a try. It's a ittle better but I still have no idea what to download. The top item on the page is the Eclipse SDK. That doesn't sound like what I need. I have no interest in developing plugins. It states, "if you aren't sure whcih download you want... then you probably want this one". I'm not convinced of that, but oh well, I'll give it a try. It's downloading now.

All in all, my first experience with Eclipse hasn't started out too well. I'm aware that that Eclipse is more than just a Java IDE. It's a modular development platform and java developmentis just one thing it does. Is there a site/project out there that focuses on the "Java IDE" side of eclipse that has distributions already setup just for that purpose?

-Watter
  13. Download probs[ Go to top ]

Matthew... yea, I'd have to agree with him people. I would say that BitTorrent is getting popular. So I'm considering giving it a try, if for no other reason as to get Eclipse.

Why not let a servlet select a mirror...?
  14. BitTorrent[ Go to top ]

I would say that BitTorrent is getting popular. So I'm considering giving it a try, if for no other reason as to get Eclipse.
    BitTorrent is an excellent application. I highly recommend Azureus, available from SourceForge, if you plan on making the plunge. It has a larger footprint than the alternatives, but if there's some kind of error, you actually have a chance of finding out what went wrong.
  15. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Ok, I've been using Intellij Idea for a while and am satisfied, but I'd still like to at least check out Eclipse. Want to know my problem? They made it incredibly difficult to actually download!If I go to Intellij.com, I see a download for the Idea trial. I click the link; download the file; run it. Slam bam, thank you ma'am, I'm good to go. As a complete Eclipse newb, here's my experience:1) I go to Eclipse.org. That was easy. The site for the product was at the address I had hoped it would be.2) Nice and visible "downloads" link on the left nav bar. Perfect. I click it.4) Whoa... lots of mirrors. I have no idea which one to choose as the ones in and out of the US are all mixed together. Oh... I scroll down and see a "Mirrors by Geography" link. Why isn't that the default? I click it5) Kind of confusing page, but I find what I need. I *think* that the way to get to the download I want is by clicking on the name of the mirror. This isn't obvious, but I guess I give that a try. I click on "cudlug.cudenver.edu"6) Crud... now I see what appears to be just a directory structure. All of the directories are named "I-I20040624-200406241728/" or "S-3.0M3-200308281813/". I have no idea what the heck any of this means, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I know I'm looking for the "release 3.0" of Eclipse and one of the 40(!) entries on this page is "R-3.0-200406251208/". The numeric part of that is probably a date and 6/25 is fairly recent so I'll give it a shot. 7) Peachy... another directory structre with three times as many entries. I have no frikkin idea which one of these I'm actually supposed to download. At this point I give up.Back on the main "downloads" page, way at the bottom, is a link to the "Main" downloads area. I decide to give that a try. It's a ittle better but I still have no idea what to download. The top item on the page is the Eclipse SDK. That doesn't sound like what I need. I have no interest in developing plugins. It states, "if you aren't sure whcih download you want... then you probably want this one". I'm not convinced of that, but oh well, I'll give it a try. It's downloading now. All in all, my first experience with Eclipse hasn't started out too well. I'm aware that that Eclipse is more than just a Java IDE. It's a modular development platform and java developmentis just one thing it does. Is there a site/project out there that focuses on the "Java IDE" side of eclipse that has distributions already setup just for that purpose?-Watter
    Here is my experience
    1. go to http://www.eclipse.org/
    2. clicked on downloads in left nav bar
    3. simply selected the first one in the list http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
    4. opend up a page with links to different builds. Chose the 3.0M8 link - http
    5. downloaded the zip.

Even a dummy can do it (except a few here i guess. )
    If you want to be a critic u can even complain about how many times u had to click etc. Who cares about your dumb experience.
  16. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Well then, guess I'm a dummy. ;)

I went back and did notice that several mirrors used a more friendly layout than the one I clicked on by chance. The point of my post was to point out that even a good project (which Eclipse most certainly is) can fail to attract new users if it doesn't handle certain things well, and providing a quick and easy way for new users to get started tops that list.

Thanks for the pointer to Yoxos, Jochen. It looks intersting. I finally figured out that I needed the "Platform Binary" along with the "JDT Runtime Library".

My main interest in Eclipse is that I'm beginning project that uses Tapestry and I've heard good things about Spindle. The variety of plugins available in one area where Eclipse beats Idea hands down.

-Matt
  17. shsh shshs... just go to hell. i followed your links, they are leading to no-where, that is where you should go an STAY, please!
  18. shsh shshs... just go to hell. i followed your links, they are leading to no-where, that is where you should go an STAY, please!
    i cant imagine people registered here who talk about IDEs and other high level topics cant download a software.
    Who the hell are you i dont know and i dont care - but i kno for sure u r not worth this community.
  19. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Here is my experience1. go to http://www.eclipse.org/2. clicked on downloads in left nav bar3. simply selected the first one in the list http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php4. opend up a page with links to different builds. Chose the 3.0M8 link - http 5. downloaded the zip.Even a dummy can do it (except a few here i guess. )If you want to be a critic u can even complain about how many times u had to click etc. Who cares about your dumb experience.
    You didn't get the final release of 3.0. You got M8. Not all the mirrors have the latest versions all the time.

You should try again. I eventually got my copy off of bittorrent.

Rich
  20. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Here is my experience1. go to http://www.eclipse.org/2. clicked on downloads in left nav bar3. simply selected the first one in the list http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php4. opend up a page with links to different builds. Chose the 3.0M8 link - http 5. downloaded the zip.Even a dummy can do it (except a few here i guess. )If you want to be a critic u can even complain about how many times u had to click etc. Who cares about your dumb experience.
    You didn't get the final release of 3.0. You got M8. Not all the mirrors have the latest versions all the time.You should try again. I eventually got my copy off of bittorrent.Rich
    i just gave an example - of m8 i could have chosen stable 3.0 release or final release or even old 2.1 release. thats not the whole point. the way it was described by the first poster - " he had bad experience with folders and files names etc just to get eclipse onhis box. " thats what i was responding to. if u cant just get right downloadable from a site, what do you expect. he was just trying to create some argument about eclipse. so the response... now enjoy 3.0
    its awesome
  21. With the launch of Eclipse 3.0 the first Eclipse distribution has appeared: Yoxos.

They promise it is easy to download and install ...

From the website:
    Yoxos delivers a pure Open Source solution - Eclipse and the included plugins are all available with source code. You can enjoy the flexibility and rich features of the open-source offerings in the Eclipse ecosystem while saving valuable time in the setup and management of your platform mix.

Jochen
  22. I've been using eclipse since version 2 M1, and for that I had never had a problem of what version and place to download. But for a newbie trying to get eclipse, it can be frustating.

The mirrors are a very good idea, but not all of them have html pages, so you get a bunch of files and directory structure.

Now they put the main download site as the last in the list, becouse too many people where using that instead of a mirror nearer to then. Based on the confusiness of the mirrors I can't blame them :P

Emerson
    Floripa / Brasil
  23. Trying to get Eclipse[ Go to top ]

6) Crud... now I see what appears to be just a directory structure. All of the directories are named "I-I20040624-200406241728/" or "S-3.0M3-200308281813/". I have no idea what the heck any of this means, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I know I'm looking for the "release 3.0" of Eclipse and one of the 40(!) entries on this page is "R-3.0-200406251208/". The numeric part of that is probably a date and 6/25 is fairly recent so I'll give it a shot. 7) Peachy... another directory structre with three times as many entries. I have no frikkin idea which one of these I'm actually supposed to download.
    To be fair to the main Eclipse site, it's worth noting that after you click on a mirror link, the mirror site takes over that frame. So whether you get a file download popup right away or a directory maze isn't under eclipse.org's control.

That being said, since the mirror sites do show content in an eclipse.org frameset, it would indeed be nice if they can work out some common theme, e.g., to the bare minimum, always provide a direct download link.
  24. TRUTH EVEN IF YOU DISLIKE: www.fahrenheit911.com
  25. BEA and Eclipse to integrate Apache Beehive:
    http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/jun282004pollinatepr.html

Regards,
    Henrique Steckelberg
  26. We've come a long way since Eclipse 2.1 shipped (March 28, 2003). Thanks to the boundless energy of the Eclipse community, the Eclipse 3.0 final release is finally ready. Here are just some of the more noteworthy things available in the Eclipse 3.0 release now available for download from eclipse.org downloads page.Platform, SWT Text, Team & CVS Ant, Search, Compare, Help, Update/Install Java Editor Java Tools Java Refactoring Java Compiler, JUnit Debug PDE http://www.eclipse.org3.0 End game
  27. http://eclipsetracker.blogspot.com/