Discussions

News: TSS @ JavaOne 2004: Day 1 Coverage

1. TSS @ JavaOne 2004: Day 1 Coverage (3 messages)

In the morning keynote, Jonathan Schwartz made several announcements, including the open sourcing of 'Looking Glass' and a new SOA endeavor: Project Kitty Hawk. Coverage of technical sessions on JSF and a 'J2EE Compatibility Panel' have been provided, including an evening gathering at the Thirsty Bear, where bloggers discussed the days events.

Read TSS @ JavaOne 2004: Day 1 Coverage

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Why Free[ Go to top ]

I dont understand why studio creator is kind of free. Why can't they develop a serious studio and sell it.May be base version can be free like JBuilder.
    Still most of the development work is done in windows.Why can't sun develop a serious develop environment(OS+Studio).
    I used redhat linux(v6/7/8) and jbuilder for 2yrs for java development. Most of the time either JBuilder crashes or xwindows crashes.I feel its not mature yet.
    Why cant there be a complete system like
    Rock Solid Solaris kernel+ GUI like OSX (with out xwindows) on X86 box
    Visual Studio like IDE for all java technologies(swing,ejb..)
    Weblogic is good enough
    Am I asking for too much?
  3. Why Free[ Go to top ]

Still most of the development work is done in windows.
    Maybe, but I personally develop 6 years on Linux (at begining RedHat, now Debian). Specially development with Java is easy and very useful on other than Windows platform because destination systems usually runs on Unix systems. SAP, Oracle, IBM and other houses are using Linux for development.
    Why can't sun develop a serious develop environment(OS+Studio).
    What's wrong with Eclipse, JBuilder, IDEA, ... java based tools?
    Most of the time either JBuilder crashes or xwindows crashes.
    My Xwindows crashes maybe once a year. Try Eclipse, try IDEA. Maybe JBuilder is your problem.
    I feel its not mature yet.
    Yes, but back to point. Sun through Studio is fighting with Eclipse and IBM, and that's real reasong why it's free (Eclipse is free too). Sun is looking for community which will develop plugins for Studio but I guess better will be develop something for Eclipse directly, because Eclipse has community and many plugins already available.
    In near feature I expect some plugin for Eclipse which will send Creator on the knees.
  4. Make no mistake about it, JSF is going to blow ASP.NET's component
    > architecture away.

It would be interesting to see ;-)
    Seriously, I think it would be good to see at least the same level
    of convenience at the first hand

Dmitry Namiot
    Coldbeans