Remote Exception while returning large result from SessionBean

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Remote Exception while returning large result from SessionBean

1. Hi,

we have following problem with Weblogic 8.1:

A stateful session bean returns a very large object graph as the result of a remote method call, so that the transfer of the result from server to client takes very long. After 60 sec. into the data transfer, a RemoteException is thrown on the client side (from the stub, I presume), stating that the message was to large and the transfer took too long. Where can I configure these parameters?

(No, reducing the size of the result is not an option.)

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Lars
  2. Zip it! then send it back ...

If its really that big you could xml it and then zip :) max compression! more work course but it sounds dodgy whats going on anyway!
  3. Hi,we have following problem with Weblogic 8.1: A stateful session bean returns a very large object graph as the result of a remote method call, so that the transfer of the result from server to client takes very long. After 60 sec. into the data transfer, a RemoteException is thrown on the client side (from the stub, I presume), stating that the message was to large and the transfer took too long. Where can I configure these parameters?(No, reducing the size of the result is not an option.)Thanks in advance for your help,Lars
    Is reducing the size of the result an option?
  4. Is reducing the size of the result an option?
    Working at JBoss must be boring like hell...
  5. Is reducing the size of the result an option?
    It is boring but I'm not at JBoss. Why do you think I'm at JBoss?
  6. Is reducing the size of the result an option?
    It is boring but I'm not at JBoss. Why do you think I'm at JBoss?
    http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=21607#97155

Why do you think I am stupid?
  7. Lars, I don't think you are stupid and please don't tell anyone who I am.

Cheers,

MF
  8. Hi,we have following problem with Weblogic 8.1: A stateful session bean returns a very large object graph as the result of a remote method call, so that the transfer of the result from server to client takes very long. After 60 sec. into the data transfer, a RemoteException is thrown on the client side (from the stub, I presume), stating that the message was to large and the transfer took too long. Where can I configure these parameters?(No, reducing the size of the result is not an option.)Thanks in advance for your help,Lars
    Stateful session is not a good idea and having a result the requires more than a minute to transfer means that you are courting disaster.

If you look at the protocol database servers or JDBC drivers use internally to transfer data, you will notice they don't attempt to move all the data in one chunk.

You are going to run into memory problems on the server or client or failures on the network.

You will have to rethink the way you model and manage your result set because there is no magic that is going to solve your problem.

You will have to consider an asynchronous model where the large set is prepared at the server's leisure and stored somewhere. The client should then be able to retrieve the results in parts using a method that is better suited to the transfer of large chunks of data.

Search for articels on reliable messaging and you will find they refer to message queue technologies that are designed to do what you want.
    RMI/IIOP at aimed at smallish synchronous transfers.
  9. You will have to rethink the way you model and manage your result set because there is no magic that is going to solve your problem. You will have to consider an asynchronous model where the large set is prepared at the server's leisure and stored somewhere. The client should then be able to retrieve the results in parts using a method that is better suited to the transfer of large chunks of data.
    Yeah, I thought so as well. Thanks nonetheless,
    Lars