Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5

Discussions

News: Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5

1. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5 (47 messages)

Developers are playing with autoboxing, and some are finding some surprises. A recent entry tests our expectations of autoboxing, and you may be surprised. Others are talking about ignoring the world of primitives now (especially teachers). Many think this is a bad idea for now.

J2SE5.0 : Should I teach beginners about primitives anymore?

Bytecode tales: Beware of autoboxing (a reply on teaching primitives)

Autoboxing surprises

Threaded Messages (47)

2. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5[ Go to top ]

I can see what's happening here and it's rather like the 1+1=2 type problem made even more complex with the addition of "valueOf" being hidden from view. This takes me back to the bad ol' days of C++ and operator overloading. While it does make some things simpler to read it can cause some VERY nasty problems. I'm very much for progress but I'm not sure this is a good thing, it also raises an interesting question about how to teach Java now although Generics is going to eclipse this one.

-John-
    CTO, C24
  3. This shouldn't be any type of surprise. .NET users have been blogging on this same issue in their platform.
  4. From one of the comments:
    Integer j1 = 127;
    Integer j2 = 127;
    System.out.println( j1==j2); //Works!!!

Integer k1 = 128;
    Integer k2 = 128;
    System.out.println( k1==k2); //Doesn't Work!!!

Integer w1 = -128;
    Integer w2 = -128;
    System.out.println( w1==w2); //Works!!!

Integer m1 = -129;
    Integer m2 = -129;
    System.out.println( m1==m2); //Doesn't Work!!!
    This is nuts and pretty much unacceptable.
  5. They should all fail but[ Go to top ]

sun did some special things for object where there are a small set of values so that when you execute identitymap.put(1, "foo") and then identitymap.get(1) you actually get "foo" back, which you really shouldn't. However, this doesn't break any existing behavior and looking for "broken" corner cases isn't really the point of autoboxing anyway (a pretty pointless feature for keys of map, useful for values)
  6. They should all fail but[ Go to top ]

sun did some special things for object where there are a small set of values so that when you execute identitymap.put(1, "foo") and then identitymap.get(1) you actually get "foo" back, which you really shouldn't. However, this doesn't break any existing behavior and looking for "broken" corner cases isn't really the point of autoboxing anyway (a pretty pointless feature for keys of map, useful for values)
    Actually, that has nothing to do with Sun. Maps use hashcode and equals for storing and retrieving values. Any JVM will work with this code as long as Integer correctly implements the hashcode and equals methods (which Sun's JVM does). The autoboxing creates an Integer object and the contract of Integer is that hashcode returns the intValue and equals ensures that the two Integer objects have the same intValue. Doesn't matter if == works or not in this case.
  7. Actually...[ Go to top ]

I used identitymap not map for exactly the reasons you state. As you say, map wouldn't work but identityhashmap http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/IdentityHashMap.html works as I have described. This class implements the Map interface with a hash table, using reference-equality in place of object-equality when comparing keys (and values).
  8. Actually...[ Go to top ]

I used identitymap not map for exactly the reasons you state. As you say, map wouldn't work but identityhashmap http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/IdentityHashMap.html works as I have described. This class implements the Map interface with a hash table, using reference-equality in place of object-equality when comparing keys (and values).
    Gotcha. Missed that. Still, that's just a bad call now isn't it? IdentityMap was intended for flyweights and pretty much nothing else. That map is ideal for Enums, but pretty much bad for every other object in the entire JVM, unless you guarentee flyweight semantics.

In fact it tells you that:

This class is not a general-purpose Map implementation! While this class implements the Map interface, it intentionally violates Map's general contract, which mandates the use of the equals method when comparing objects. This class is designed for use only in the rare cases wherein reference-equality semantics are required.

Same with Strings as with Integers and for that matter primitives. Let's say that it didn't autobox the int, you would still have a value residing in a memory location for the put and an entirely different memory location for the get. Since this uses reference-equality semantics, it is the same as using the old C++ &value syntax (it uses the memory location). Therefore, even if the JDK supported primitives as keys, it still shouldn't work!
  9. This is nuts and pretty much unacceptable.
    Is it? I agree that it reads horribly the way it's written here. But I'd argue that it's not written correctly. We've all been taught since day one that objects should never be compared using ==. With autoboxing, my literal 2 becomes an object by way of assigning it to an object (Integer) reference.

We can't have primitive semantics with objects. Otherwise, how would we ever be able to determine if it is the same instance (assuming we cared)? Functionality would be lost. The alternative would be to always resolve a value (say 127) from a cache of integers...but then how would constructors (e.g. new Integer(127)) work?

IMHO, this implementation is correct. Using == to compare objects is incorrect.

Cheers,
    Clinton
  10. This is nuts and pretty much unacceptable.
    Is it? I agree that it reads horribly the way it's written here. But I'd argue that it's not written correctly. We've all been taught since day one that objects should never be compared using ==. With autoboxing, my literal 2 becomes an object by way of assigning it to an object (Integer) reference.We can't have primitive semantics with objects. Otherwise, how would we ever be able to determine if it is the same instance (assuming we cared)? Functionality would be lost. The alternative would be to always resolve a value (say 127) from a cache of integers...but then how would constructors (e.g. new Integer(127)) work? IMHO, this implementation is correct. Using == to compare objects is incorrect.Cheers,Clinton
    To take this a step further, if you want to use == with Objects, use the new typesafe enums. Wrapper classes aren't enums, so don't use ==. All enums are examples of the flyweight pattern where their is a cache of possible values and you always get one of those. This means that == works fine for them because it is impossible to get anything BUT one of those values in the cache.

(I wish Boolean was an enum) ;)
  11. We can't have primitive semantics with objects.
    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that a lot of what autoboxing is? Behind the scenes, everything is all objects, but then those objects are manipulated with primitive semantics?

Overall, I think this is a pretty silly feature.
  12. We can't have primitive semantics with objects.
    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that a lot of what autoboxing is?
    I don't believe so. Autoboxing is simply about automatically wrapping, or "boxing" your primitives with their corresponding object wrapper classes (int -> Integer). Once they have "become" objects, they are bound by the same rules as all other objects. That means that == won't compare the values, but will compare the references.

Cheers,
    Clinton
  13. This is nuts and pretty much unacceptable.
    Is it?
    Yes :-)
    I agree that you shouldn't use == for objects, but having inconsistencies, like above, is IMO unacceptable behavior. I wonder if it's even consistent across JVMs.
    Nonetheless, it's the blurring between objects and primitives that will be guaranteed to cause problems in the future.
    At the very least, the behavior should be predictable.
  14. To me teaching Java to beginners as a pure OO language is a pretty noble ideal. Java already has a precedent of selective operator overloading, in '+' for Strings. What I was wondering was if Java could extend the set of Objects it defines operator overloading for (still not allowing custom operator overloading) to the primitive wrappers. The JVM is perfectly capable of converting '==' calls to '.equals'.

Any of the autoboxing-related surprises mentioned here are surprises only if you're expecting primitive behavior and get Object behavior or vice versa, and consequently is more of a problem area for peopel who have already learnt Java in its present 'primitive' avatar. If you learnt to treat everything as an Object, why would you be surprised?

The performance cost of using Objects over primitives may be important for certain applications, but not generally, and it goes down with time. Case in point - the cost of using String + in place of StringBuffer .append has gone down enough that with the latest releases, for most uses, Josh Bloch's Effective Java does not advocate it if it makes things harder to understand, unless this part is known to be a bottleneck.
  15. but having inconsistencies, like above
    I guess I don't find it inconsistent, or at least not as inconsistent as the alternative would be. In each case the result is true or false based on whether the reference is pointing to the same object instance or not.

When dealing with objects, == does not compare values. Doing so _would_ be inconsistent.

The same situation has always held true for strings:

String s1 = "True";
    String s2 = "True";
    s1 == s2 == true //compiler uses one instance for string literals

String s3 = new String("False");
    String s4 = new String("False");
    s3 == s4 == false //two forced instances

String s5 = "True";
    String s6 = "Tr" + "ue";
    s5 == s6 == true //compiler evaluates and uses same instance

String s7 = "False";
    String sx = "F";
    String s8 = sx + "alse";
    s7 == s8 == false //compiler won't evaluate where a second reference is involved

These values are all "equal". But == will return true or false based on _how_ the values were set.

Stick to .equals(), and enjoy the remaining features of autoboxing.

Cheers,
    Clinton
  16. I guess I don't find it inconsistent, or at least not as inconsistent as the alternative would be. In each case the result is true or false based on whether the reference is pointing to the same object instance or not. When dealing with objects, == does not compare values. Doing so _would_ be inconsistent.
    I agree, and the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to disagree with my earlier comment. It's probably too early to tell what the impact of auto-boxing will be, but there's a fine line between obscuring and simplifying.
    I would have been happy with auto-casting on things like this:<code>
    Integer i1 = map.get(0);
    </code>
    That's the only place I always thought the compiler should know what to do since it's so obvious. Other than that, I haven't heard anyone ask for auto-boxing.
    Anyone know what really prompted the auto-boxing feature?
  17. Well, but in case of autoboxed Integers, it IS a little inconsistent ..
    it works something like this :

String s1 = "True";
    String s2 = "True";
    s1 == s2 == true //compiler uses one instance (precached) for string literals

String s3 = "True, but little longer one";
    String s4 = "True, but little longer one";
    s1 == s2 == false //compiler does not precache longer values ..

This is the same as with 127 and 128 values for Integers, with 127 those 2 objects are the same, for 128 are created different objects.
    So, if it works different based only on the value, than it is really confusing.
  18. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5[ Go to top ]

I'm a teacher too (in france).
    For me that not a surprise because the spec (JLS3)
    said that boxing wrapper from -128 to 127 are cached.
  19. String s3 = "True, but little longer one";
    String s4 = "True, but little longer one";
    s1 == s2 == false //compiler does not precache longer values ..
    All string literals are supposed to be unique within a special pool. So (IIRC) the above is incorrect. It's not the compiler, it's the JVM.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  20. String s3 = "True, but little longer one";String s4 = "True, but little longer one";s1 == s2 == false //compiler does not precache longer values ..
    All string literals are supposed to be unique within a special pool. So (IIRC) the above is incorrect. It's not the compiler, it's the JVM.Peace,Cameron Purdy
    Cameron, I think you might be referring to something completely different. The above example is regarding the way string literals are handled by the compiler. If they are the same within the class file, the compiler will use only one instance of it. Try it out:

String s1="Cameron";
      String s2="Cameron";
      System.out.println(s1==s2);

Compile that code and look at the class file. "Cameron" will only appear once, and this code will print true (obviously).

Cheers,
    Clinton
  21. string references[ Go to top ]

If they are the same within the class file, the compiler will use only one instance of it. Try it out:

String s1="Cameron";
      String s2="Cameron";
      System.out.println(s1==s2);

Compile that code and look at the class file. "Cameron" will only appear once, and this code will print true (obviously).
    I agree with everything you said, except the fact that == is true for this example (whether or not they are even in the same class!) is because the Java specification says that they will be ==.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  22. So, if it works different based only on the value, than it is really confusing.
    It's only confusing if == is misused. The point is that == is NOT for comparing values of objects (however they were set), and it likely never will be.

In Java, operators are overloaded for convenient String manipulation (albeit with a few caveats). So, we've always been able to do this:

String s1 = "A" + "B";

But we still needed to compare like this:

s1.equals("AB")

Now that we have autoboxing extensions, we can do this (not previously possible):

Integer i = 2 + 2;

But we STILL need to compare like this:

i.equals (4)

Consider it a coincidence that:

Integer j1 = 127;
    Integer j2 = 127;

In Java, == has never been used for comparing values, and autoboxing does not change that (nor should it).

Cheers,
    Clinton
  23. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

It's only confusing if == is misused. The point is that == is NOT for comparing values of objects (however they were set), and it likely never will be.
    Of course, but autoboxing is still extremely confusing. For example, <= and >= works fine for Integer objects, but == does not work, ie a <= b && a >= b does not imply a == b. I don't know of any other programming language that works this way, and it goes against all mathematical logic.
  24. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

Of course, but autoboxing is still extremely confusing. For example, <= and >= works fine for Integer objects, but == does not work, ie a <= b && a >= b does not imply a == b. I don't know of any other programming language that works this way, and it goes against all mathematical logic.
    This is a fair statement IMHO. Autoboxing is confusing, I won't argue that. I'm just saying that the use of == isn't inconsistent and it does exactly what it's specified to do. The >= and <= can be easily overloaded because they don't have any other function or meaning. Unfortunately == is reserved for another purpose. I suppose we could adopt another syntax for equality...like := (pascal asignment) or ===, but that would just be messed up. :-)

Cheers,
    Clinton
  25. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

I don't know of any other programming language that works this way, and it goes against all mathematical logic. <
    Mathematical logic only applies when you're dealing with numbers. Once you autobox them, they're not numbers, they're objects ... so maths logic doesn't apply.

If Java starts boxing and unboxing each time it encounters something like this:

(x * 2 + 6 + y) == (Y + 3 * 8 + t)

then we could be in for a bit of a wait.

And that's assuming that the compiler can work out whether you are testing values, or trying to decide if you're looking at the sanme object.

Autoboxing is just a bit of syntactic sugar to help with sticking numbers into collections. Folk seem to think that Sun was trying to replace primitives with objects. This is not the case.
  26. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

Mathematical logic only applies when you're dealing with numbers. Once you autobox them, they're not numbers, they're objects ... so maths logic doesn't apply.
    I guess in this case most of us are having problem not with "maths logic doesn't apply"(we wouldn't), but with "sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't". ;-)
  27. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

I guess in this case most of us are having problem not with "maths logic doesn't apply"(we wouldn't), but with "sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't". ;-) <
    I think the rules are pretty consistent; doesn't look any different to the object/primitive gotchas we've had all along.

The problem I have with it, is that for the sake of a bit less typing, Sun have introduced a whole new set of 'gotchas'.

Yeah, it was a pain having to box/unbox stuff, but at least folk knew what was going on.
  28. It's confusing[ Go to top ]

The problem I have with it, is that for the sake of a bit less typing, Sun have introduced a whole new set of 'gotchas'.

Sorry. Badly worded.

Sun haven't introduced more 'gotchas'; they've introduced a dozen more places to watch out for the existing ones.

... which is just as bad really.
  29. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5[ Go to top ]

It's only confusing if == is misused. The point is that == is NOT for comparing values of objects (however they were set), and it likely never will be.In Java, operators are overloaded for convenient String manipulation (albeit with a few caveats). So, we've always been able to do this:  String s1 = "A" + "B";But we still needed to compare like this:  s1.equals("AB") Now that we have autoboxing extensions, we can do this (not previously possible):  Integer i = 2 + 2;But we STILL need to compare like this:  i.equals (4)
    Slap me if I'm missing something here 8-) - so now we are supposed to remember to use i.equals(4) because 2 screens back we wrote Integer i = 2 + 2, not int i = 2 + 2?
  30. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5[ Go to top ]

we are supposed to remember to use i.equals(4) because 2 screens back we wrote Integer i = 2 + 2, not int i = 2 + 2?
    You should know whether you're working with objects or primitives regardless of the new autoboxing features. Just my opinion. :-)
  31. Autoboxing surprises from J2SE 5[ Go to top ]

You should know whether you're working with objects or primitives regardless of the new autoboxing features. Just my opinion. :-)
    Well I'm not sure about the "regardless of..." part because without autoboxing
    knowing which type you are using is of course a non-issue. However, when you just wrote on one line: i = i + 1, it's pretty distracting to have to think "now am I supposed to say if(i.equals(max)) or if(i==max)?". And it kinda gets even harder when you have a few of these autoboxed things popping around in a longwinding method. 8-)

--J.X.
  32. It's only confusing if == is misused.
    Actually the == alone is not the problem. This is something to be teached, I confirm on that. The real problem is that the same operation does not perform consistantly over all the ranges because of behavior change (not because of maths, of course).

It's violating a major criteria for a sound and complete model, something yu'd like to have in a language definition. There have been examples shown for it already.

That's the real issue.
  33. String s3 = "True, but little longer one";String s4 = "True, but little longer one";s1 == s2 == false //compiler does not precache longer values ..
    Actually it does. Try it. You'll blow the maximum string literal length limit and it will always come out true. In fact, it makes *more* sense for longer strings to keep the class file size down.

Cheers,
    Clinton
  34. From one of the comments:
    Integer j1 = 127;Integer j2 = 127;System.out.println( j1==j2); //Works!!!Integer k1 = 128;Integer k2 = 128;System.out.println( k1==k2); //Doesn't Work!!!Integer w1 = -128;Integer w2 = -128;System.out.println( w1==w2); //Works!!!Integer m1 = -129;Integer m2 = -129;System.out.println( m1==m2); //Doesn't Work!!!
    Yes - I agree that this is nuts.

The programmer should be able to work on the language without understanding how the language is implemented. If everybody needed to understand quantum theory before using microwaves, then you will be able to count the number of microwaves sold in one hand.

The language designers need to create a language that lets programmers focus on what they want to do, not how it is implemented. Or are we planning to trek back towards assembly.
  35. After reviewing all of these warnings, I tried the "128" test in JDK 5.0 final. It doesn't appear to demonstrate what I'm reading here. Was this oddity fixed after these tests were run?

I'm speaking specifically of tests like the following. As described in these notes, the first test should have failed, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Integer num0 = 128;
            Integer num1 = 128;

// The two objects are both equal to 128
            assertTrue((num0 == 128) && (num1 == 128));
            // But they are not equal to each other
            assertTrue(num0 != num1);
            // true: relational ops unbox both sides
            assertTrue((num0 <= num1) && (num0 >= num1));
  36. Integer constant pool[ Go to top ]

From one of the comments:
    Integer j1 = 127;
    Integer j2 = 127;

Integer k1 = 128;
    Integer k2 = 128;
    System.out.println( k1==k2); //Doesn't Work!!!

Integer w1 = -128;
    Integer w2 = -128;
    System.out.println( w1==w2); //Works!!!

Integer m1 = -129;
    Integer m2 = -129;
    System.out.println( m1==m2); //Doesn't Work!!!
    This is because Integer constant pool is maintained for integers between -128 to 127. So there a reference comparison is done and it passes. In 128, -129, the references have a different bit pattern..so the == check fails! Hope that helps!
  37. The above two pretty much cleared the Surprise. This message is just added to help understanding better or completely. ------------------------- For message "For clarity", Integer class's static method valueOf(int i) API can explain why this method is used instead of constructor Integer(int i). And the "caching frequently requested values" is done by the constant pool. From Sun's API of Java 6. valueOf public static Integer valueOf(int i) Returns a Integer instance representing the specified int value. If a new Integer instance is not required, this method should generally be used in preference to the constructor Integer(int), as this method is likely to yield significantly better space and time performance by caching frequently requested values. Parameters: i - an int value. Returns: a Integer instance representing i. Since: 1.5 -------------------------------------- for message "Integer constant pool" I quoted some here and add comments to it. "This is because Integer constant pool is maintained for integers between -128 to 127. So there a reference comparison is done and it passes. In 128, -129, the references have a different bit pattern..so the == check fails! Hope that helps! " Not only Integer, if replacing the code with Byte(only take values from -128 to 127 anyway), Short, and Long (an L at the end of number for example 127L), it will have similar behavior. Furthermore, the bit patterns probably remain the same as long as the value is valid. For any number in the range of -128 to 127, it is like the String literal constant pool, using Integer.valueOf(int i) will create just one "integer constant" object corresponding to "i" and the object will be put in the pool, and later same calls will point to the same object. That's why == returns true. This corresponding to the "caching frequently requested values" implementation in the API Integer.valueOf(int i). For any number outside the range, which won't be put in that pool (which must has limited size here to how just proper number of commonly used "i"s), so a brand new object will be created each time. So the reference variables on both side of == will refer to different objects now. Therefore the return result is false. overall "==" mainly and only cares the values on two sides.
  38. I think that there is something to be said for autoboxing in most cases. It doesn't reduce object creation, but it reduces code complexity. However, like everything else, if you can use primitives, do it. If you can't, don't. Simple rule. Here's some examples:

// Can't use primitives, let the compiler autobox
    HashMap map = new HashMap();
    map.put(1, "One");

// Can use primitives, autoboxing doesn't make sense here
    int count = 0;
    for (int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
        count += getResults(i);
    }

There are a lot of places that primitives are 100% acceptable and autoboxing doesn't clear anything up at all. Not to mention that it slows it down quite a bit. Would you want your OpenGL 3D engine using Double instead of double? I wouldn't because creating the Double objects is eventually going reduce my frame-rate. Here's the count example with autoboxing:

// Autoboxing seems dumb here
    Integer count = 0;
    for (int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
        count += getResults(i);
    }

This is guarenteed to create at most len objects (worse-case). So, just like the old language debate, use the best solution for the problem.
  39. Autoboxing in Java is bad[ Go to top ]

The more I think about autoboxing, the less I like it. One of the blogs had a really good example:

Integer i = new Integer(2);
    Integer j = new Integer(2);
    assertTrue(i >= j); // success
    assertTrue(i <= j); // success
    assertTrue(i == j); // failure!

The problem with autoboxing in Java is that the variable i is both an object reference AND a primitive depending on the context. Because == is defined for object references, the last line doesn't work as the lines before it, where i and j where treated as primitives. This ambiguous behaviour will cause lots of programming errors.
  40. Autoboxing in Java is bad[ Go to top ]

Autoboxing on JVM doesn't have to be complicated, this is Nice
       http://nice.sourceforge.net/

void main(String[] args){
       let c = new ArrayList();
       c.add(100);
       c.add(100);
       println(c[0] == c[1]);

c.add(10000);
       c.add(10000);
       println(c[2] == c[3]);
    }

Answer:
    true
    true
  41. This is the dawn of Java[ Go to top ]

I would not claim there is no real world scenario for this problem. This actually would have to be proven and I can't see a chance for that to happen. The examples are the proof against it, actually. Programmer skill sets do not count in that matter.

The point is: there is some artificial boundary set up where the language is not consistent in between. I think this will become a major issue to acceptance of the language soon. Taken the exsample given, financial institutions will call red alert, whatever the practical relevance it has.

The caching is a practical, typical IT focused approach to performance but it's braking the language's inner logic. And that's the very frightening part of it.
  42. Ok If I'm not missing anything, Autoboxing just work to save us time typing:
          Integer myInterger= 2+2;
    instead of
          int i=2+2;
          Integer myInteger= new Integer(i);
    because after that I shouldn't compare myInteger with ==, => or <= because they're objects and I should use equals() method, right? (like I have to do with Java 1.4) ... so what?? for learning/teaching purposes.. ok you got something more to study/teach but for practical purpouses...What kind of improvement is this? I preffer to type a few caracters more and have a clearer and more consistent language.
    Java 1.5 save us to work with the XML descriptor storming but I would like to see that the changes bring some improvement (that's the reason of the new versions)
  43. Java has always be strongly typed and that a good thing but to make code ledgible you need to avoid creating a class called "string".

What Java developers need, to make auto boxing convenient, is a good nameing convention.

For example creating an Integer called i IS arguable confusing when you later test if(i==x)

The solution is to not create the variable i.
    "i" is traditionally a primative int, If it is used to represent anything else it is the variable name that is confusing not the language

Create and Integer called iBox or iObject
    Anything with a lowercase start and an uppercase somewhere in it is immediately more obvious to me.

Preprending "obj" is another option that has been around in some circles for a while.
  44. Should you teach arrays?[ Go to top ]

The collection classes have a far richer interface so one might consider eliminating arrays from the course material. When combined with autoboxing, arrays are entirely optional.

I say "one might consider" but I certainly would never consider that. There are important reasons why primitives exist in the first place and performance is still an extremely important aspect of commercial quality software. It's also important insofar as 99.99% of the software out there uses primitives in Java and almost every other commercially viable programming language.
  45. For clarity[ Go to top ]

I've seen a lot of posts in this thread about what is happening on ==

It's simple:

When we do
            Integer i = 127;
    autoboxing turns this into:
            Integer i = Integer.valueOf( 127 );

Go look at the implementation of Integer.valueOf(), and you'll find:
        public static Integer valueOf(int i) {
    final int offset = 128;
    if (i >= -128 && i <= 127) { // must cache
    return IntegerCache.cache[i + offset];
    }
            return new Integer(i);
        }

If the int value is between -128 and 127, it will return a cached Integer value. This way we avoid creating many duplicate Integer objects for those common values. It save's on memory and improves performance.

And, of course, it does mean that Integer i = 127 will always return the same Integer instance.
  46. Innovation[ Go to top ]

Autoboxing might bring convenience but I am afraid that it might just open another can of worms. Yes, it is an innovation to software development but I am a bit hesitant to it. health
  47. Autoboxing has become much more open[ Go to top ]

This article is 5 years old. Autoboxing has become much more open and accepted today. I have seen people teaching primitives to beginners, and whether they choose to use it or not, it is good to have more knowledge.

Paul - http://www.connetu.com

48. A special surprise of boxing to me[ Go to top ]

I was surprised today experiencing that Java obviously does not box on the dot-operator.

Example:

'a'.toUpperCase(); // Get the message "Cannot invoke toUpperCase() on the primitive type char" still on Java 6.

I don't know any reason why the compiler couldn't automatically wrap a primitive when the dot-operator is invoked on it.

Does anybody know whether this is a known gotcha of the Java Compiler?