Eclipse Pollinate: BEA and Eclipse team up for Beehive plugin

Discussions

News: Eclipse Pollinate: BEA and Eclipse team up for Beehive plugin

1. BEA and Eclipse have announced a new open-source project Eclipse Pollinate. This new tool will enable developers to work with the Apache Beehive project via the Eclipse development environment (e.g. including visual design).

Press Release Excerpt
    "By integrating the Eclipse IDE with Apache Beehive application framework, we want to help developers leverage the strength of both the Eclipse and Apache open-source communities, and help provide free access to leading Java innovations, while helping to ensure investment protection and portability for applications, said Mike Milinkovich, Executive Director, Eclipse Foundation. "Combining the knowledge and experience of BEA, Instantiations and Eclipse, the Eclipse Pollinate project can help to dramatically expand the number of developers who can build enterprise scale Java applications."

"We are very excited to provide the key technology to help integrate Eclipse with Apache Beehive," said Mike Taylor, CEO, Instantiations, Inc. "Developers are clamoring for sophisticated, yet easy to use development tools and application frameworks such as we’re designing with Pollinate and Apache Beehive, to help make what they do easier and more productive. Eclipse Pollinate will be designed to extend the power of Java, Eclipse, and Beehive deeper into the typical IT development organization."
    Read the press release: The Eclipse Foundation, Instantiations and BEA Announce Formation of Eclipse Project to Integrate with Apache Beehive

Visit the Beehive home page

Threaded Messages (15)

2. hypocrisy[ Go to top ]

I'm amazed at the hypocrisy of BEA.
    I would really love for a BEA rep to respond to this. Less than 2 years ago they sent a pdf document to my boss stating the dangers of using JBoss and one of the main points was that JBoss was open source and therefore our intellectual property was at risk if we used JBoss. Now BEA is saying open source Java. What a bunch of low life hypocrites. Am I wrong or did not BEA send this document to customers?
  3. hypocrisy[ Go to top ]

Eclipse = Hypocrisy(Java)

Its unbelievable how Eclipse gets all this attention. The Eclipse thing is so anti-Java philosophy, yet the drones just plug in. So, SUN creates Java, thus, the "Eclipse" term is very appropriate!

And now BEA, I'm so sorry for suggesting WebLogic to my clients.
  4. Eclipse = Hypocrisy(Java)Its unbelievable how Eclipse gets all this attention. The Eclipse thing is so anti-Java philosophy, yet the drones just plug in. So, SUN creates Java, thus, the "Eclipse" term is very appropriate! And now BEA, I'm so sorry for suggesting WebLogic to my clients.
    What's the deal with being purist, & Eclipse being anti-java philosophically?

Bottom Line: Wherever the name "eclipse" came from, the bottom line is that Eclispe works. And it works well. The results and popularity speaks for itself.

When "things" (such as pure Java AWT) and the philosophy behind the "things" dont work well, common sense suggests to throw way the philosophy and the "things", not stick to them. (EJB3 JSR did that. Why can't you?)

Cheers,
    Srikanth
  5. Beehive rocks[ Go to top ]

I have already used Beehive in both JBoss and WebSphere, and it works fine. The ANT script provided works as well too.

Right now it seems a good alternative, since I **hate** editing the struts and tiles XML files. And the "@" anotations are, we all know it by now, MUCH more appropriate than that damned XML plague that hit us some years ago.

I've got the XML-phobia disease, sorry.

Well, it was about time for BEA to open-source the NETUI tags. I'm glad that somebody could see the light.
  6. Struts/JSF/Spring console[ Go to top ]

...since I **hate** editing the struts and tiles XML files.
    I've been using Struts console for sometime now. It works pretty well as a standalone app or as plugin. See http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/console/

The site also has editors for JSF and Spring. Can't comment on those

Have a nice day.
  7. Java Community[ Go to top ]

It's just amazing what a bunch of whiners the Java community has become.
  8. Java Community[ Go to top ]

These people are not representative of the Java community. They definitely are not representative of me and the people I know. I think Java has a lot more people of diverse backgrounds where certain morals are not part of their pre-suppositions.
  9. Java community[ Go to top ]

These people are not representative of the Java community. They definitely are not representative of me and the people I know. I think Java has a lot more people of diverse backgrounds where certain morals are not part of their pre-suppositions.
    BEA sent marketing material to companies claiming use of open source products like JBoss could put in danger their intellectual property. This was less than 2 years ago. Now they want Sun to open source Java. Un-freaking-believable.
  10. Java community[ Go to top ]

BEA sent marketing material to companies claiming use of open source products like JBoss could put in danger their intellectual property. This was less than 2 years ago. Now they want Sun to open source Java. Un-freaking-believable.
    So once a person or company comes to a decision (or a least the marketing dept or CEO does) then they are not allowed to change their mind/heart? I can see your point though about some sort of explaination or appology. I think, though, that Jonathan Schwartz explains the same change of heart/mind that Sun is seeming to have with - "We've been doing a lot of analysis of new pricing models - I'm sure it's been obvious in our public communications. And you should expect to hear more."
  11. 2 cents[ Go to top ]

I agree the java community is a bit baby-ish at the moment, but I wouldn't totally toss off all of these points to readily.

After all, Bea did put out doc against open source along with IBM and some others. Also, I almost barfed when I read that Bea wants to ensure air tight no vendor lock-in. What the crap! Bea, IBM, and Oracle tools have been designed from the start to ensure endor lock-in: Workshop, WSAD, and JDeveroper have specific functions and features to integrate their servers and tools. What a bunch of crap.

Mark my words, if one of these guys sweeps the market, that'll be the end of open source dev for them. Then we'll be back to "open source is problematic". These guys are out for their own wallets, but I have to admit, that could be a good thing for java. After all, if SUN had charged a little something *AND* java was as popular today as it is, then java would be far more advanced than it is.

Cash runs the world... developers aren't free.
  12. Java Community[ Go to top ]

It looks like label “whiner” gets more and more applied to the people who express non-mainstream opinions these days.
    It might be useful to recall that “mainstream” perceptions always start as somebody’s private uncommon idea. So, lets listen to “whiners”, they might be right.
  13. Java Community[ Go to top ]

Discussing the technical consequences of business decisions is one thing, guessing the motivation behind vendor actions is another. Companies exist for the sole reason of making more money for themselves - Why would it surprise anyone.

I came here to learn more about beehive and pollinate.

Whatever.
  14. http://eclipsetracker.blogspot.com/2004/06/crn-breaking-news-bea-executive.html

A BEA executive defended BEA's decision not to join the Eclipse Foundation in light of news that the Java software vendor is supporting third-party development of an Eclipse plug-in for Project Beehive.

BEA unveiled Project Beehive last month as a an open-source version of the application framework of BEA's WebLogic Workshop tool, which uses visual controls to build J2EE-based applications and Web services. BEA subsequently gave the project to the Apache Software Foundation, which now directs Beehive.

Next week at JavaOne, BEA, San Jose, Calif., plans to announce that Instantations, a development shop in Portland, Ore., will build a Beehive plug-in for the Eclipse framework. The plug-in should be in beta by the fall, with the final release available early next year.

Dave Cotter, director of developer marketing at BEA, said joining the Eclipse Foundation, an open-source project spun off by IBM in February, would not be useful for BEA because the company has no desire to build its WebLogic Workshop tool on the Eclipse integrated development environment (IDE).

http://eclipsetracker.blogspot.com/2004/06/crn-breaking-news-bea-executive.html
  15. Thoughts on BEA's motivations[ Go to top ]

As an outside observer, I like the direction of BEA in regards to Beehive and the overall BEA platform. My guess on this is that BEA is releaseing Beehive and providing Eclipse support for it to promote their SOA architecture patterns. This will get many curious developers to try out thier core widgets and design patterns. The Eclipse plug-in only enhances curiosity and experimentation. Giving away developer licenses to Workshop won't get developers to move away from Eclipse. Eclipse is a better and more accepted IDE. Once there is a critical mass of developer buy-in, then BEA would come in with additional widgets and tools that will work with Beehive project and would be exclusive to Workshop and Weblogic.

Of course these additional goodies would not be free, but it would give them a big leg up on the other pay-per-container/IDE providers. In the end, possibly good technology is available in the open-source world. An added benifit is that developers are allowed to convince the pointy haired bosses in the world that the open source work we do in Beehive etc is safe and stable because BEA is endorsing it.

So thanks BEA for helping me deal with the pointy-haired.

John Murray
    Sobetech - Miami
  16. Thoughts on SOA[ Go to top ]

My guess on this is that BEA is releaseing Beehive and providing Eclipse support for it to promote their SOA architecture patterns.
    For some alternate veiws on SOA, check this out ... just cannot get over the hype being created around SOA! Trying to put a pragmatic perspective here on SOA :-)

Cheers,
    Ramesh