Discussions

News: Joshua Bloch leaves Sun and joins Google

1. Joshua Bloch leaves Sun and joins Google (23 messages)

Joshua Bloch, author of Effective Java, JSR 175 spec lead, and much more, has decided to hang up his hat at Sun.

Just after his promotion to Distinguished Engineer, he moves down the road in the Valley to join the small startup Google.

He will still be involved in the Java community of course. There is talk of an Effective Java upgrade for Java 1.5.

Good luck Joshua!

NOTE: TheServerSide.com has a tech talk interview with Joshua on Java 1.5. View the tech talk

Threaded Messages (23)

2. Dion, do you have some source reference for this?

Josh added a lot to Java. He will be missed.

God bless,
    -Toby Reyelts
  3. No reference, we heard from Josh[ Go to top ]

Hi -

We don't have a reference, other than an email that Josh wrote to the JSR 175 metadata expert group.

He will be missed, and we look forward to seeing what he comes up with at Google!

Dion
  4. <!--Josh added a lot to Java.-->

I coudn't agree more. If MR.Gosling is the father of Java, MR.Josh nurture Java like a mother. I wish him good luck and hope he still be involve with Java.
  5. ...the small startup Google...
    Wish I could join such a "small" "startup". :)
  6. 1,900+ is that small?[ Go to top ]

...the small startup Google...
    Wish I could join such a "small" "startup". :)
    Yeah, 1,900+ is that small?
  7. Sarcasm. I am british :)[ Go to top ]

Guys -

I was being sarcastic when I said a small startup. I forget that outside of the UK I need to put on either:
    :)
    or:
    just kidding
    :) :)
  8. Sarcasm. I am british :)[ Go to top ]

Guys -I was being sarcastic when I said a small startup. I forget that outside of the UK I need to put on either:
    :)
    or:
    just kidding
    :) :)
    I figured you were. So I tried to point it out before someone else did. Guess my plan didn't work either.

Yeah, that British accent gets us everytime. :)
  9. Sarcasm. I am british :)[ Go to top ]

Guys -I was being sarcastic when I said a small startup. I forget that outside of the UK I need to put on either: :) or: just kidding
    Don't worry Dion, I got it, it's all those bizarre senses of humour the Americans picked up from their impure past.

Ooops, I missed the smiley :-)

I'm sure Joshua will be missed at Sun but it shouldn't make much difference to his contributions to Java and JSR 175, hopefully.

-John-
  10. Who is Joshua ;)[ Go to top ]

Really .. who is the guy .. and what was he doin at SUN ???
  11. Sorry to see Josh leave[ Go to top ]

Josh's contribution to Java has been immense. Goodluck to him and hope he continues to nurture the language.
  12. Joshua Bloch and Don Box[ Go to top ]

If Josh was more visible, he could likely be the same kind shepherd for Java developers that Don Box is for the MS/.Net crowd. Wonder why he never jumped into the blogosphere? Josh?

Yeah... his book is a classic in object oriented API design.

~harris
  13. I'm really going to miss... What's his name again?
  14. Java is not enough[ Go to top ]

Google is the place to be for all major computer scientist like him. To bring GoogleOS online ^^

Good Luck Joshua!!! you can still contribute through JCP :P
  15. Java is not enough[ Go to top ]

Google is the place to be for all major computer scientist like him. To bring GoogleOS online ^^Good Luck Joshua!!! you can still contribute through JCP :P
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in some sort of redesign for the Google API.

Josh Bloch set a great example with his APIs, especially Collections. No matter how fancy we can get with patterns, frameworks, blogs, or insightful online forums, what people learn the most from - and what helps to tie these things together - are archetypal examples. This is one reason why Microsoft periodically produce MS-Office in the look-and-feel they want developers to follow. And the same could be said of an API such as Collections, which is well-known throughout the Java community and embodies many of the principles and patterns discussed in "Effective Java".

Hopefully, Josh will continue to contribute through JCP or other means, as this is a big loss for Sun.
  16. real computer scientists[ Go to top ]

I thought SUN is where the real computer scientists are. Like bill joy :)
  17. Need any help?[ Go to top ]

I wonder if Google needs any more help? ;-)
  18. You could always find out here --

http://www.google.com/jobs/eng/sw.html#java_apdev

:-)
  19. I wish him good luck at Google. And hopefully he'll still spread Java best practices into the world :-)
  20. New google search algorithm:

search on .NET, Perl or C++: 1.500.000.000 hits on Java related sites ;-)
  21. New google search algorithm:search on .NET, Perl or C++: 1.500.000.000 hits on Java related sites ;-)
    yes, all linking to brothels and sexclubs on the Indonesian island >:-)
  22. Many thnks to Joshua for his enormous contibution to Java, and best wishes for him in his next role.
  23. Good Luck!![ Go to top ]

Good Luck, to Josh!

I wonder if he has started saying " I'm feeling lucky " ??
  24. Maybe will be better for Java[ Go to top ]

Hello all! Hope Google let Joshua work 50% of his time to the Java improvement. I heard that Google let Guido work 50% of his time to take care of Python.