Apache Maven 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: Apache Maven 1.0 Released

1. Apache Maven 1.0 Released (26 messages)

The Apache Maven team is pleased to announce the release of Maven 1.0.

Download
    (please be patient as the release may not have propogated to all mirrors yet)

Maven is a project management and project comprehension tool. Maven is based on the concept of a project object model: builds, documentation creation, site publication, and distribution publication are all controlled from the project object model. Maven also provides tools to create source metrics, change logs based directly on source repository, and source cross-references.

New Features

* Bundle the Jelly XML tag library for build and for plugin's convenience
        * Add different types of download progress meters.

Fixed bugs

* Fix property inheritence under some circumstances Issue: MAVEN-1296. Thanks to Eric Lapierre.
        * <maven:get/> now initialises the plugin if it has not already been loaded, removing the need for dependency handles
        * Check last modified timestamp as well as conditional GET in case the server time is behind the local time Issue: MAVEN-1188.
        * Bugfixes for new httpclient based downloading (incorrect timestamps) Issue: MAVEN-1343.
        * Handle cross site redirects Issue: MAVEN-1353.
        * Correct absolute paths with no drive designator on windows Issue: MAVEN-1290.
        * Amend bootstrap to create directories that might not exist Issue: MAVEN-1341.
        * If artifact is not a snapshot, don't continue checking for newer downloads once one is successful Issue: MAVEN-1344.

Plugin Highlights

The latest plugin releases are also included, with bug fixes and some new features.

We hope you enjoy using Maven! If you have any questions, please consult:

* the FAQ: http://maven.apache.org/faq.html
        * the Wiki: http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/
        * the maven-user mailing list: http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

For news and information, see:

* Maven Blogs: http://www.mavenblogs.com/

- The Apache Maven Team

Update: A new article: Apache's Maven Comes of Age

Threaded Messages (26)

2. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Maven is
     -as simple as EJBs !!
     -as transparent as Perl !
     -as efficient as XML!
  3. You have someting better?[ Go to top ]

Maven is -as simple as EJBs !! -as transparent as Perl ! -as efficient as XML!
    Please pardon my response if the quoted response was supposed to be funny...

Yeah, but it solves a big problem and people use it and it works. Did you write something better that you want to make available open source?
    'Nuff said.

steve
  4. You have someting better?[ Go to top ]

Please pardon my response if the quoted response was supposed to be funny...Yeah, but it solves a big problem and people use it and it works. Did you write something better that you want to make available open source?'Nuff said.steve
    I didn't write it but feel free to check out Ant 1.6 or JAM.
  5. Ant + JAM != Maven[ Go to top ]

Once you get Ant 1.6 and JAM, you'll need to spend months writing the functionality provided by Maven
  6. Re: You have someting better?[ Go to top ]

Please pardon my response if the quoted response was supposed to be funny...Yeah, but it solves a big problem and people use it and it works. Did you write something better that you want to make available open source?'Nuff said.steve
    I didn't write it but feel free to check out Ant 1.6 or JAM.
    It is no serious. Why need me use new Ant if i can free use Maven: you can use ant in maven also most recent version of java projects now delivered with maven project file.
    And what is wonderfull feature of maven is eclipse and IDEA plugins - auto generate eclipse/IDEA projects files - is great and very helpfull if you have big project with many dependencies libs.
    Now when Maven no rc and beta versions I think more people attract attention on it
  7. You have someting better?[ Go to top ]

Who is "people" exactly? Of course there is a crowd of fans for every so obscure technology, as you can see with Microsoft :-). I have to admit I did not look at Maven for a year or so, but at that time it did not solve any real world problems but at most created a new playground for so called "release managers". I found it inefficient, cryptic, overly complex, invasive and a lot more. I will surely have a look, but I fear it is yet another bandwagon that will make development harder rather than easier.
  8. Who is using Maven?[ Go to top ]

You can probably see a lot of open source products now using Maven - certainly a lot of the Apache projects and the Spring framework. It is also gaining ground in the corporate development world.

My previous employer (a rather large french bank), where running several projects with a maven build, and my current employer (a rather small IT firm) have just set one up.

I'm just glad it's finally been released. Well done.
  9. Who is using Maven?[ Go to top ]

Well I looked at the documentation and the samples and I am shell shocked.

What is this good for? Running "Unit Tests" without a single word in the doc what unit test framework is used? Support for a single source directory? No support for complex builds? The doc still features big time obscure stuff like "downloading" the right library for a build from a URL (probably as error prone and versioning volatile as you can get)? Granted it provides a nice project documentation that may add (or not add) to a project managers piece of mind. Does it work with CVS only? Seems so at first sight. A proprietary scripting language, serving as a bad example of a domain specific language?

I don't doubt that I can twist and tweak it into doing what I want for a more typical project, say a web app using various libs, ejbs, one or more web apps, dozens of libraries etc. etc. And maybe I can even let it talk to an "enterprise class" versioning system like continuus (not that I fancy it :-)) but at that point, will I have gained anything above "roll your own" in the first place? Anyway I think it is a nice tool if you have a nice simple straightforward development process in a nice simple environemt, like building a simple library with a couple of support files and documentation. And it may be nice if you work very loosely together like in a distributed open source project. But that is about it, really. Otherwise I see a lot of complexity without things getting significantly simplified.
  10. Who is using Maven?[ Go to top ]

hmmm I wonder if Bruce Tate / Rod Johnson will ever recommend Maven.
  11. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I think Maven is great but the poor documentation doesn't allow many to use it. I will be using it myself, but i wish maven project could be more documented. I know how to use jelly and ant, but i don't know about maven... The only thing i know is that i can use any jelly or ant tag in maven xml files... I will be using the mevenide to speed things up and generate distribution and documentation for my project.

Lots of people i know who are developping in java, are still not willing to try anything not properly documented(a waste of their time...).
    There are few projects which provide javadocs as documentation... Most java programmers know how to read a javadoc, but will they check it for every kind of library they want to use to discover available methods they can use to fullfill their needs. My answer is no, unless their are obliged to.

Hope it can help you improve maven quality.
  12. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Any real-world examples yet or is maven still a pipedream?
  13. Great Job!!![ Go to top ]

This is great news. Good job guys.
  14. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Congratulations Maven team! Makes building and documentation site generation so much easier.

Is there a roadmap for overcoming the shortcomings identified during version 1.0 ? such as the ones Howard Lewis Ship mentioned ? Several others have been raised in JIRA. Having flexibility on the version of dependencies would be good. Having flexibility on the specification of dependencies also. Seeing an idea of timescales would be great, but the main thing would be how the issues raised will be resolved.
  15. Maven 1.0+ Roadmap[ Go to top ]

Is there a roadmap for overcoming the shortcomings identified during version 1.0 ? such as the ones Howard Lewis Ship mentioned ? Several others have been raised in JIRA. Having flexibility on the version of dependencies would be good. Having flexibility on the specification of dependencies also. Seeing an idea of timescales would be great, but the main thing would be how the issues raised will be resolved.
    This will be coming together very shortly. Thanks!
  16. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Maven does provide a lot of nice tools that automate several things. Although there is a group of people that are afraid to use maven, because they don't know if it will break in some circumstances (different platforms, etc.). And Jelly isn't fun to look at and troubleshoot.

I think it would be nice to see the core of Maven forked from Jelly to Java/Ant Tasks. I think this would make maven 3 times more useable than it is now, either that or the community that supported it would increase quite a bit. You wouldn't have to subscribe to the entire Maven build, you could just us one plugin if you wanted. This is only possible now if you run the plugin under Maven.
  17. Whoo hooo. Great job guys! After using a year's worth of betas and RC releases it's hard to believe the 1.0 final is actually here. Simply put, Maven rocks.

It has been a life saver on the Geronimo and OpenEJB projects.

-David Blevins
  18. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Maven is a project management and project comprehension tool.
    Project management tool? What I've seen it's just a build tool.

SourceForge, GForge and the likes I count as project management tools. I don't count linking HTML template to a random number of dispersed defect tracking systems, discussion boards, mailing lists, download sites, etc a project management tool. Just like linking to Google doesn't make your site a search engine.

If Maven tries to be an 'easy Ant', it didn't convince. There's one additional language to learn (Jelly) and it takes frustratingly long to get the builds working as they should. At least if you happen to have more than one source folder (a feature which I think should be supported out-of-the-box in a project developed this long), XDoclet tags or some other similar Java project feature.
  19. Has anyone used Maven for Continuous Integration? I am a firm believer that Maven can do this and I have to come up with the proof for my company and I would like to know if others see Maven as this type of contender? Thanks, Jeremy

P.S. - Great job Maven devs. :D
  20. Has anyone used Maven for Continuous Integration? I am a firm believer that Maven can do this and I have to come up with the proof for my company and I would like to know if others see Maven as this type of contender? Thanks, JeremyP.S. - Great job Maven devs. :D
    Sure, you are right. It is possible to use maven for continouus integration. There will be quite soon a continouus intergation system build on top of maven. It will make a heavy use of Project Object Model (POM).

We don't have a n official roadmap for next versions yet but one of the main "theme" which will be addressed is simplicity. Maven will be even more simple to use.

One of the greates features which is coming to maven are so called transitive dependencies. They will enable (an example) to define in your pom dependencies on struts and hibernate and dependencies of those two will be directly available to your project. It means that POM files will get much, much shorter. And there is more such things coming :)

Michal
  21. Has anyone used Maven for Continuous Integration?
    We're using CruiseControl (using the Maven plugin) to checkout, build and test on our integration server as soon as anyone checks something into CVS. Test results are mailed out to the committer(s) and - in case of failures - the team lead. Once a day we generate project websites with a full set of reports and artifacts. Works pretty well.

Overall our experience with Maven is a mix of the worrying and the wonderful. I love the concept of project descriptors and the way Maven plugins provide me with much more functionality (checks, reports, etc) than we could afford to write ourselves. On the other hand,
     - In a 1.0 version I would expect much better documentation than this. Too often, I find myself up to the neck in Jelly to understand how to make stuff work.
     - Please tell me I am wrong: how on earth did Maven make it to 1.0 without support for transitive dependencies? I.e. if A depends on B and C depends on A, Maven can figure out that C also depends on B.
     - Interaction between plugins can be pretty brittle. You can usually find ways to make your plugin execute in the right order relative to other plugins that hook into the same goal, but unless something radical has changed recently, it may require hacks that could break easily.
     - I would agree that Jelly is evil. The available Jelly tags are poorly documented, as is Jexl. It's easy to get lost in Jelly, Ant, the way properties work, the Java bits and so on.
     - Maven can be misused and could do with a well documented and thought out set of best practices. For example, if (like us) you find yourself tempted to break up your project into lots of little subprojects, think again.

Maven feels a bit like a Frankensteinian creation, sewing sometimes ill-fitting projects together to create a monster that doesn't look particularly pretty but does some really useful things. Will I use Maven in the future? Absolutely. Do I recommend it? Definitely, albeit with caveats. Can it be improved? You bet.

Thanks for a cracking release, guys. Now please take the time to sit back, collect user experiences, and think very carefully about what works and what doesn't.
  22. Thanks for that. Very useful.

Think I'll steer clear of it for a while, and look again a few versions down the road.
  23. Maven CruiseControl Plugin[ Go to top ]

Is their any documentation on how to setup the maven cruisecontrol plugin? On the maven cuisecontrol plugin pages at apache there is no documentation on how to set it up. I could be missing it. Any help will be appreciated.
  24. Peter,
         Thanks for your insite regarding Maven. I just began using Maven for commercial use and just by reading the docs, I could see Maven being a Continuous Integration Platform if used properly. What do you think of CruiseControl? That and AntHill are other products we are looking into using for CI but since those projects aren't 100% open source, I didn't want to look there first. I'm an open source advocate and if there is an open source tool like Maven and semi-open source tools like AntHill and CruiseControl that do similar things, I'd rather support the open source one and work around it's inefficiencies than give these other products better reason to go commercial. Hopefully you'd understand. I look forward to your response, Jeremy
  25. I'm an open source advocate and if there is an open source tool like Maven and semi-open source tools like AntHill and CruiseControl that do similar things, I'd rather support the open source one and work around it's inefficiencies than give these other products better reason to go commercial.
    The way I use them, CruiseControl (or Anthill) and Maven are complementary. Maven handles the build process. CruiseControl handles the scheduling, checking CVS for new commits, and mailing out of build results. The Maven CruiseControl plugin merely generates the CC configuration file from Maven information.

Maven could certainly handle the entire process itself - either using a plugin or maven.xml automation - but I don't think there is any such plugin yet (unless it has been added recently).

I should perhaps add that some of the issues I mentioned in my previous post you'll encounter only when you start writing your own Maven plugins.
  26. Apache Maven 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Mavn looks like it has great potential, but isn't quite there yet. I also can't quite force myself to like Jelly. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it though.
  27. Apache Maven 1.0.2[ Go to top ]

Hallo Everybody,

I would like to know a few things about Maven 1.0.2 n its integration into java.

How can maven be started from Java? Are there examples how to integrate maven into java applications? i.e, do we have any APIs so that we call Maven from a java program etc to generate the nightly reports.

Can we stop maven from not downloading the plugins during a goal completion.
    Since we need to integrate into a product, where it can be a local
    Installation without an internet connection.

Shall be thankful for any ideas / suggestions.Thanks.

Sreenivas.