Calling EJB running on weblogic 8.1 from websphere 5.1

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Calling EJB running on weblogic 8.1 from websphere 5.1

1. I am trying to call a service running on weblogic application server 8.1. I am using websphere 5.1 app server.

I am using the iiop protocol for the same.
    My sample servlet code is..
    ========================================================
    Hashtable ParamHash = new Hashtable();
    String url = "iiop://hob3mla60402:7001";

ParamHash.put(InitialContext.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "com.ibm.websphere.naming.WsnInitialContextFactory");

ParamHash.put(InitialContext.PROVIDER_URL,url);
    InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext(ParamHash);

TraderHome th = (TraderHome)
    PortableRemoteObject.narrow(ctx.lookup("ejb20-statelessSession-TraderHome"),TraderHome.class);
    =========================================================
    I have written a servlet and deployed the same on the websphere application server and the code above is giving a call to the EJB service on the weblogic 8.1 server.

weblogic has some example EJB deployed..I am using the same.

I am getting the exception as folows.

java.lang.ClassCastException: Unable to load class: examples.ejb20.basic.statelessSession._TraderHome_Stub at com.ibm.rmi.javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(PortableRemoteObject.java:386) at javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(PortableRemoteObject.java:156) at HelloServlet.doGet(HelloServlet.java:40) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doService(StrictServletInstance.java:110) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:174) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:313) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:116) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.service(ServletInstance.java:283) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ValidServletReferenceState.java:42) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletInstanceReference.java:40) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:974) at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:555) at

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Use Weblogic.[ Go to top ]

Hi, If I'm not wrong you are trying to call EJB which is runnin on weblogic from WebSphere. Your code looks like you are trying to call a EJB which is running on websphere. you need to lookup for WebLogic server EJB. Find out the Lookup procedure for weblogic version you are using and then try it.

thanks,
    Anil.
  3. Sample code.[ Go to top ]

Hi, below is the sample code if you dont get it. I think this is 8.1 version.
      private SalesHome lookupSalesHome() throws NamingException {
    String url = "t3://localhost:7001";
        String user = "userid";
        String password = "password";

Context ctx = null;
        try {
          // Get an InitialContext
          Properties h = new Properties();
          h.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory");
          h.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, url);
          if (user != null) {
            log ("user: " + user);
            h.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, user);
            if (password == null)
              password = "";
            h.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, password);
          }
          ctx = new InitialContext(h);
        } catch (NamingException ne) {
          log("We were unable to get a connection to the WebLogic server at "+url);
          log("Please make sure that the server is running.");
          throw ne;
        }

try {
          Object home = (SalesHome)ctx.lookup("SalesEJB.SalesHome");
          return (SalesHome)PortableRemoteObject.narrow(home, SalesHome.class);
        } catch (NamingException ne) {
          log("The client was unable to lookup the EJBHome. Please make sure " +
            "that you have deployed the ejb with the JNDI name " +
            "SalesEJB.SalesHome on the WebLogic server at "+url);
          throw ne;
        }
      }
  4. Sample code.[ Go to top ]

I am trying to call the service running on Weblogic from Websphere.

My weblogic server is listening on 7001 port, If you look at the port in the URL it is 7001. I have to use the InitialContext factory as websphere's I can not use as weblogic's If I put the weblogic.jar in my classpath, the weblogic server does not start..!!
    So I have to use the websphere's InitialContextFactory. Also I can not use t3 protocol as it is weblogic specific protocol...That is why I am using iiop as a base protocol..!!
  5. Sample code.[ Go to top ]

I am trying to call the service running on Weblogic from Websphere.My weblogic server is listening on 7001 port, If you look at the port in the URL it is 7001. I have to use the InitialContext factory as websphere's I can not use as weblogic's If I put the weblogic.jar in my classpath, the websphere server does not start..!!So I have to use the websphere's InitialContextFactory. Also I can not use t3 protocol as it is weblogic specific protocol...That is why I am using iiop as a base protocol..!!
  6. Sample code.[ Go to top ]

I think you have to specify the InitialContextFactory class of Weblogic.
    With that class you can either use the URL as t3://xxxx or http://xxxx
    For me both the lookups work but I need to have the weblogic class on the calling side. If websphere does not start with the entire weblogic.jar in its classpath, try starting it with the class weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory and the other required classes for this class in your classpath.

The J2EE contract here is only till the InitialContext and InitialContextFactory interfaces level. In order to use the JNDI service of a particular app server you need a corresponding ContextFactory class.
  7. Hi,
    I could able to invoke the session bean running in weblogic 7.0 from web sphere by following code.
    String url = "t3://localhost:7001";
    String user = "XXX";
    String password = "YYY";
    Hashtable env = new Hashtable();
    env.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory");
    env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, url);
    env.put(Context.SECURITY_PRINCIPAL, user);
    env.put(Context.SECURITY_CREDENTIALS, password);
    ctx = new InitialContext(env);
    how can we give Web sphere context and iiop protocal for achieving the same.
    can you through some light on this
    Thanks
  8. what about weblogic.jar[ Go to top ]

do you have to include the weblogic.jar file somewhere on your websphere server location?
  9. so what is the final solution[ Go to top ]

Hi,

We also tried using the iiop protocol to connect. We had a JSP in the Websphere and connected to a EJB in WebLogic using iiop. It worked from the JSP, but when we move the same code into EJB method of Websphere (that calls the EJB in WebLogic), it stops working.

We are getting the error:
    javax.naming.CommunicationException: A communication failure occurred while attempting to obtain an initial context with the provider URL: "iiop://xxxxxxx:7001". Make sure that any bootstrap address information in the URL is correct and that the target name server is running. A bootstrap address with no port specification defaults to port 2809. Possible causes other than an incorrect bootstrap address or unavailable name server include the network environment and workstation network configuration. Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: purge_calls:1218 reason=1 state=5 vmcid: IBM minor code: 306 completed: Maybe

Does it work if you call the WLS SB method from WAS SB method?

Regards
    Raghu

The code is as follows:

try
    {
    String JNDI_NAME = "ejb20-statelessSession-TraderHome";
    TraderHome home;
            System.out.println("\n Start of JSP \n");
      String url = "iiop://xxxxxxx:7001";

Properties env = new Properties();
    env.put(
    Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,