Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache

1. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache (5 messages)

Hi,
    Is the web server bundled with Tomcat a production grade web server? Can I use Tomcat as my production web server to allow two application to exchange high volume transactions over HTTP? Or should I use Apache as my web server and connect it to Tomcat for Servlet invokations?

If you could point me to some web site that gives the answer to this question, that would be great.

Thanks.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache[ Go to top ]

Hi,Is the web server bundled with Tomcat a production grade web server? Can I use Tomcat as my production web server to allow two application to exchange high volume transactions over HTTP? Or should I use Apache as my web server and connect it to Tomcat for Servlet invokations?If you could point me to some web site that gives the answer to this question, that would be great.Thanks.
    I have no url sorry, just experence.

For projects with large amounts of static content I have had Apache server up the static content, such as images and html help pages. While the appserver took care of the dynamic content. It all depends on your load requirements... But this decision can be made at any time.
  3. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the response.
    So if I have no static content, can Tomcat be used as a production grade web server for HTTP posts to servlets only? or does adding apache as the front interface to Tomcat allow better throughtput?

Thanks.
  4. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache[ Go to top ]

So if I have no static content, [...] does adding apache as the front interface to Tomcat allow better throughtput?
    That wouldn't buy you anything.

Regards,
    Stefan
  5. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache[ Go to top ]

Actually, it does buy you something... decreased performance overall since every request has to be passed on to Tomcat. Apache increases performance in cases where a majority of the requests are to your static content.
    You could have gigabytes of static content, a few hundred k of dynamic, and if everyone who visits your site uses the dynmic, you would not see a performance benefit. On the other hand, if everyone is viewing your static content, then yes Apache will benefit you.
    Which is why it's dependant on your situation.
  6. Tomcat Web Server v/s Apache[ Go to top ]

Tomcat is not optimized for delivering static content. Apache is the one that can do it in the best way. Tomcat can deliver content that require dynamic generation using Java.

So allow Apache to handle all web traffic. Use mod_jk connector to route servlet/JSP requests to tomcat.

A decent config can be apache 1.3/mod_jk1.2/Tomcat5. This can be used in production.

JBoss Inc provides support for Tomcat in production.