Richard Monson-Haefel leaves Java Community

Discussions

News: Richard Monson-Haefel leaves Java Community

1. Richard Monson-Haefel has resigned from the JCP Executive Committee, all JSRs in which he is involved, and the Geronimo and OpenEJB open source projects. He has joined the Burton Group as a Senior Analyst, and feels that he has to be more removed from the industry in which he provides analysis. Congrats on the new job, but we are sorry to lose you.

Richard on his blog
    This is probably the last blog entry I will be making here on Java.net. I plan to move my blog to my own Web site and maintain a lower profile in the industry. In fact, this blog entry is to announce a change in my relationship with the Java community. Although I will remain a very intersected observer and occasional commenter, I will not continue to be a Java activist.
    My new role in the Java industry

I wonder if Richard will still keep up his book writing?

Threaded Messages (20)

2. I'm really sorry to see RMH go. He was the voice of reason in the EJB wars, and one of the people on the EJB expert group reaching out to the JDO community. Besides, he was a great communicator and his books were very readable. Gads... this sounds like an obit!

Gordon
  3. Integrity[ Go to top ]

Richard,
    I am not sure how anyone can second guess your motives at all with this move. I commend it, and wish you much success at Burton. I am sure you will be missed within the community, but will also provide much needed outside expert analysis in this space.
  4. Congrats !!!!![ Go to top ]

Thanks for your books!!
    Good Luck in your new job !!

William.
  5. Thanks for your books!!Good Luck in your new job !!William.
    Richard

Good luck, you seemed to be a rather decent fellow at JavaONE 2004 this year. I hope being an true independent and respected analyst does not mean
    that you have to give up writing books and technical articles.

Interesting web site too http://www.burtongroup.com/

Peter P
  6. A real bad news for us.
    At the time when EJB3.0 is under such growing stage, every body would have liked to have Richard with us.
    Wish Richard all the best!!! Thanks to him for having contributed a lot for the java community.

Eager to read his occasional comments!!!
  7. Starving Artist No More[ Go to top ]

The starving artist has found a rich patron.
  8. The starving artist has found a rich patron.
    Don't judge a man until you are in his shoes.
  9. Starving Artist No More[ Go to top ]

The starving artist has found a rich patron.
    Don't judge a man until you are in his shoes.
    Hmmm, I hardly considered the comment about gaining a rich patron to be judgmental. I took it as a hardy "congratulations". Good for him. I'm sure he'll make as great a contribution in his new job as he did at the JCP.
  10. This is sad for the J2EE community. Richard has contributed a lot. But he probably hasn't seen that much financial return on that contribution, and it's understandable that he's had to commit to a career move. Just a pity that it's to something that can't be reconciled with continued involvement in the JCP, in particular.

Rod
  11. It is time...[ Go to top ]

One after another EJB guru jumped ship. It is time for the J2EE commpunity to concentrate on things more productive like web services, and make the web tier easier to develop and performance better, JDBC working more effiently with DBMS.
  12. From Richard's blog:
    (The exception is the EJB 3.0 (JSR 220) expert group from which I resigned a couple weeks ago.)
    Maybe an indication that he was frustrated with the vendor domination (especially JBoss) of the EJB 3.0 JSR? Is there any true independent voice left in that EG?
  13. ...the EJB 3.0 JSR? Is there any true independent voice left in that EG?
    There are still four independents participating in the EJB 3 JSR. But Richard has made a huge contribution to EJB and the JCP and we all owe him a debt.
  14. Richard has made a huge contribution to EJB and the JCP and we all owe him a debt.
    It would have been a lot nicer had he helped to unite EJB 3.0 and JDO 2.0 into a single Java persistence spec. Well, maybe I am asking too much of a single person...

So Scott, that task now rests on the shoulders of yours and the 3 other independent EJB 3.0 EG members. I don't see any chance in the world for JBoss, or Oracle, or BEA to push for that agenda. And I hope you understand how desperate the Java developer community wants a unified spec.
  15. First of all, best wishes to Richard in his new role. Your contribution to the Java community has been enormous, and you have our sincerest thanks.

Secondly, whilst I'm pleased that independent voices remain in the JSR-220 group, the whole question of Persistence is not up to the independents alone. It seems likely that JBoss and Oracle have their own reasons for not pursuing closer alignment with JDO. However BEA, IBM and others retain substantial influence in the group. JDO already runs inside all J2EE 1.3-compliant appservers. Customers who want to see JDO's concepts promoted formally into the J2EE space should tell their server vendor, and Sun, of these wishes.

Kind regards, Robin.
  16. First of all, best wishes to Richard in his new role. Your contribution to the Java community has been enormous, and you have our sincerest thanks.Secondly, whilst I'm pleased that independent voices remain in the JSR-220 group, the whole question of Persistence is not up to the independents alone. It seems likely that JBoss and Oracle have their own reasons for not pursuing closer alignment with JDO. However BEA, IBM and others retain substantial influence in the group. JDO already runs inside all J2EE 1.3-compliant appservers. Customers who want to see JDO's concepts promoted formally into the J2EE space should tell their server vendor, and Sun, of these wishes.Kind regards, Robin.
    Robin, you talk about working together with the EJB3 group, but your tactics are a bit confusing. Your behavior at the EJB3 BOF at JavaOne didn't win too many friends.

Bill
  17. Which part do you find confusing, Bill? The part where I ask which EJB experts might attend the JDO session that evening to learn more about JDO 2.0 in the light of Linda's comments that they don't know much about its contents (2 responded positively and did attend), or the part where I seek clarification on Gavin's astouding statement that there "is very little overlap between JDO and POJO Entity Beans" ?
  18. Not to make this sound like an obituary, but Richard's contribution will definitely be missed. Good luck with everything and I hope you are still working on that Groovy book.

Hope your day job wonÂ’t keep you from writing, as we will also need the 5th edition of the EJB book once EJB 3.0 officially ships. :)

--Vinny
  19. ...as we will also need the 5th edition of the EJB book once EJB 3.0 officially ships...
    Don't worry, "EJB 3.0 in Action" (Manning Publishers) by the JBoss Group, Inc. will be the first book on the subject, now that Both Richard and Ed Roman have found greener pastures :-)
  20. Dedicated to RMH[ Go to top ]

I’m waiting for my man
    Got 26 dollars in my hand
    Up to lexington 125
    Feelin’ sick and dirty
    Huh, I’m waiting for my man

Hey white boy, what you doin’ uptown
    Hey white boy, you chasin’ my women around
    Pardon me sir, it’s furthest from my mind
    I’m just waitin’ for a dear-dear friend of mine
    I’m waiting for my man, come on

Here he comes, he’s all dressed in black
    Pr shoes and a big straw hat
    He’s never early, he’s always late
    First thing you learn is that you always gotta wait
    I’m waiting for my man

Up to a brownstone, up three flights of stairs
    Everybody’s pinned you and nobody cares
    He’s got the works, gives you sweet taste
    Then you gotta split because you got no time to waste
    I’m waiting for my man

Hey baby, don’t you holler, don’t you ball and shout
    I’m feeling good, I’m gonna work it on out
    I’m feeling good, feeling so fine
    Until tomorrow, but that’s just some other time
    I’m waiting for my man
    I’m waiting for my man
    I’m waiting for my man
    Man-man-man-man-man-man-man
  21. SeeYa 'Round da Hood[ Go to top ]

Hey Richard, long time no <insert favorite communication metaphor here.> I can't say I miss those round-the-clock--round-the-calendar sessions we found ourselves in while helping Sriram and Bob get Tengah (aka WebLogic) debugged. I do miss the environment we were in at the beginning of EJB, when all the folks building EJB servers were in the mix with us on a daily basis. I enjoyed doing the tech editing I did for your books, even if they did spell my name wrong on the first one ;). Anyway, congrats on finding your cheese and I'm sure we'll bump into each other soon enuf.