Grady Booch talks past, present, and future

Discussions

News: Grady Booch talks past, present, and future

1. Grady Booch talks past, present, and future (10 messages)

Grady Booch gave a keynote address at the IBM Rational conference. He talked about the past, present, and what he thinks we will see in the future.

He also made a jab at Sun: "Java is not the last language -- although it may be Scott McNealy's last language."

AOP got a boost when he said: "Many of the frameworks of the future will be built upon UML semantics, and that aspect-oriented programming will be mainstream."

Read At IBM Rational User Conference: I have seen the future and it is Booch

Read Celebrating Rational's 50th Aniversary - Grady Booch

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Totally irrelevant[ Go to top ]

... as Booch has been for at least a decade. Why does anybody pay attention to these kind of unoriginal repackaged ideas from this guy ?
  3. Agreed[ Go to top ]

Agreed.
  4. For those interested...[ Go to top ]

For a more complete documentation of some of what was in the keynote see here:

http://www.cobbie.com/blog/archives/000037.html
  5. In the 2030s, the system will be continuously evolving, and, he said, "you never turn it off." Around that time, Moore's Law, which has served as a guide for silicon IC evolution, will expire. "We will be down to the level where quantum effects come in," said Booch.
    It will be much earlier than that; within a decade if we are lucky. If we are unlucky, the current leakage problems will turn out to be insurmountable.
    In terms of algorithmic breakthroughs, he said turbo algorithms like those used to create high-resolution photos in the Cassini Saturn probe will gain traction.
    Gibberish. No other way to put it, I'm afraid.
  6. Filtering gibberish[ Go to top ]

People have a right to their opinion on Grady Booch. But the author of the article did want to clarify something about the discussion of Cassini. He loosely used "algorithm" in place of "encoding" and he meant to refer to the transmission of images rather than the imaging itself. Booch should not be blamed for an error in transmission here that was the author's. JV

for related see: http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/mar04/0304code.html
    http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2876932
  7. Not only is this guy not very relevant, but most of his talk on future is stuff that's here _today_

<quote>In the 2030s, the system will be continuously evolving, and, he said, "you never turn it off." Around that time, Moore's Law, which has served as a guide for silicon IC evolution, will expire. "We will be down to the level where quantum effects come in," said Booch.</quote>

Squeeze me ? doesn't the guy know that we're already seeing quantum effects with new manif. processes ?? that they are adding materials to gates in order to minimize said effects ? and that 24-7 is already a reality for many (military and other) systems ? I mean gimme a break here.

I feel like I'm reading a trimmed-down (content-wise) Kurzweil book all over again...
  8. Not only is this guy not very relevant, but most of his talk on future is stuff that's here _today_<quote>In the 2030s, the system will be continuously evolving, and, he said, "you never turn it off." Around that time, Moore's Law, which has served as a guide for silicon IC evolution, will expire. "We will be down to the level where quantum effects come in," said Booch.</quote>Squeeze me ? doesn't the guy know that we're already seeing quantum effects with new manif. processes ?? that they are adding materials to gates in order to minimize said effects ? and that 24-7 is already a reality for many (military and other) systems ?
    Presumably Booch is evangelizing IBM's autonomic computing, which allows reliable clustering of unreliable machines. Its appeal is limited to utility computing. Neglecting to mention this context makes his chatter seem silly, and hints at possible ignorance. I saw him speak in Boulder, and I have to wonder if anyone can recall a commanding presentation of his in the last few years. It's likely been a while since he's coded.
  9. I stopped caring about what he said when I was forced to use clearcase and clearquest...and pretty much anything created by the Rational corporation.
  10. he added that "Java is not the last language -- although it may be [Sun Microsystems Chairman and CEO] Scott McNealy's last language."</a>
    Mr Grady Booch thought , right Sun would keep working on
    Java and Mcnealy will stay with java , so Java maybe his last language.
    and yes java is not last language , but JVM will stay alive for ever , and new languages will be made on JVM like Groovy , Goo , ... .
  11. He also made a jab at Sun: "Java is not the last language -- although it may be Scott McNealy's last language." AOP got a boost when he said: "Many of the frameworks of the future will be built upon UML semantics, and that aspect-oriented programming will be mainstream.
    Well said O-O Guru. I feel some personal touch in it. Was it a reply to McNealy's previous interview mentioning AOP.

Well Evolution is key to Progress be it humans or machines.

Same like Object Oriented Modeling has come long way.

Well "Improvement and Changes" has always been the reasons for future growth and success. Be it COBOL, ADA, FORTRAN, PASCAL, Java, C++, C, VB, C#, AOP-addon etc.

We are in many cases reinventing the wheel (spoke, rim based etc etc.) with reasoning to make things simpler and better.

We then enjoy the COMMUNICATION between the competitors and its followers cos all feel their wheels are better in any or all cases.

Mr McNealy have his personal views earlier, now Mr Booch. Mr Gates (or M$) you are next ;).

Well hex(oct)agon may give a better look than boring rectangle for Class (Change for some artistic reasons ;) Well we will still have compartments and hope it is not reserved for any other use. Use of hands instead of arrows for Sequence Diagrams.

I believe UML is going to last for ever ;)

Thanks to all Gurus for confusion mess. May be someones blessed words will become true.

Chill All