Suggestions for socket server performance

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Suggestions for socket server performance

1. Suggestions for socket server performance (1 messages)

Hi
      We are developing an online gaming application which is critically dependent on a socket server. The peak number of players connected might go upto 20,000. The socket server runs on a linux machine.
       Can anybody suggest me the possible ways of tweaking the socket server for a scalable performance. Things like what can be the optimal OS settings (linux kernel parameters), tcp parameters. If anybody could direct me to some site mentioning about the socket server performance, it would be great.

Thanks in Advance
    Rajit
  2. Hi  We are developing an online gaming application which is critically dependent on a socket server. The peak number of players connected might go upto 20,000. The socket server runs on a linux machine.   Can anybody suggest me the possible ways of tweaking the socket server for a scalable performance. Things like what can be the optimal OS settings (linux kernel parameters), tcp parameters. If anybody could direct me to some site mentioning about the socket server performance, it would be great.Thanks in AdvanceRajit
    In Solaris, we tune the TCP/IP layer in order to make sure that the sockets don't spend a lot of time in CLOSE_WAIT status. Also, you should try to increase the max number of sockets.

Jose R. Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga