...full object-orentied model is overkill...

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: ...full object-orentied model is overkill...

1. Some development shops are moving away from a classic business domain model. Frankly, for some applications (like thoes to baby-sit big relational databases), I'd have to agree with their direction. When you are doing nothing but viewing and entering relational data, a full object-orentied model is overkill ."
    - Better, Faster, Lighter Java

Can anyone talk to this?

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Appropriate overkill[ Go to top ]

Right, it is overkill.

Given a known domain and little reusable code, what's the point of OOP.

However, most apps that start as RDBMS babysitters will quickly morph into more complicated applications as additional business logic is applied. Those additions will be added more easily and cleanly with OO code.

As a single business with a given problem domain begins creating more and more RDBMS babysitters, a framework can be evolved out of the original app; this can't be done as easily without OOP.

Finally, with existing code for Object/Relational mapping; using OOP can enable code reuse right out of the gates reducing development time and reducing the amount of custom code.

-greg
  3. I agree...[ Go to top ]

Some development shops are moving away from a classic business domain model. Frankly, for some applications (like thoes to baby-sit big relational databases), I'd have to agree with their direction. When you are doing nothing but viewing and entering relational data, a full object-orentied model is overkill ."
    - Better, Faster, Lighter Java Can anyone talk to this?
    I agree totally with the author of Better, Faster, Lighter Java . The sourceforge project valuelist is a good tool to use when you are building a webapp that does mostly "viewing and entering relational data".

I had a requiremnets document that detailed 5 reports, each with different filter critiea (date ranges, name like...). This webapp was to report on an existing SAP database. I completed the project in under 10 hours. By using the valuelist I had:
     * No JDBC in the JSPs.
     * Was not tied to using JDBC, I could swap in a different DAO if needed.
     * Got sorting, paging and filtering without adding complexity to the solution.
     * All this was done with out a model layer what so ever. The model was all dynclass beans.