Discussions

Performance and scalability: Websphere or Weblogic

1. Websphere or Weblogic (1 messages)

So this is a discussion that has occurred on multiple boards and on this one, 4 years ago. I am currently researching the comparison between websphere and weblogic and am preparing a white paper/case study on it. To provide some background, I am advising a government agency on whether to use websphere or weblogic and am looking for the following:

1) any existing white papers/case studies on this
    2) any knowledge of other govt agencies using weblogic or websphere
    3) general positives and negatives of the two
    4) anything else you think I should know

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Websphere or Weblogic[ Go to top ]

So this is a discussion that has occurred on multiple boards and on this one, 4 years ago. I am currently researching the comparison between websphere and weblogic and am preparing a white paper/case study on it. To provide some background, I am advising a government agency on whether to use websphere or weblogic and am looking for the following:1) any existing white papers/case studies on this2) any knowledge of other govt agencies using weblogic or websphere3) general positives and negatives of the two4) anything else you think I should knowAny assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    A year ago, we had a lot of performance problems in our J2EE application running on WebSphere 4.0 and we decided to test WebLogic 7.0 in order to see if the performance got better.

We ported the application to weblogic, performed the same load testing and.... what happened?.... we got the same throughput we yet had with websphere !!

As we saw that the performance was exactly the same between both servers, we decided to optimize the source code (using Quest PerformaSure) and we got marvelous improvements. So, we learned that the best way improve the performance of a J2EE application is not to change the application server: the best way to get more pages per second is to remove the bottlenecks of the application.

Jose R. Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga