Discussions

News: JetBrains releases IntelliJ IDEA 4.5

1. JetBrains releases IntelliJ IDEA 4.5 (17 messages)

JetBrains is pleased to announce the release of IntelliJ IDEA 4.5. Thanks to all who have waited patiently (or otherwise) for this release which includes:

• A rich set of new advanced code analysis features
    • Full JDK 1.5 support
    ...and much more. We had hoped to have the release to you in June, but we ran into a few challenges late in the cycle and we felt had to get them right. Again, thanks for waiting.

You can download IntelliJ IDEA 4.5 at http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download

Read more at:
    http://www.jetbrains.com/idea

Also read some user comments:

Guide to new features in Idea 4.1 (4.5?)

Idea 4.5. A couple of things I forgot....

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Congratulations to the JetBrains team for releasing another version of the best Java IDE around. You guys are amazing.
  3. Exciting[ Go to top ]

IDEA is realy an ideal IDE for Java Developer
  4. Does anyone have experience with the Subersion plugin for IntelliJ? Is it good?

http://svnup.tigris.org/

thanks,
  5. Does anyone have experience with the Subersion plugin for IntelliJ? Is it good?http://svnup.tigris.org/thanks,
    We are using Subversion and like it a lot.

I had mixed feelings about the plugin. Seemed to make some operations prettty slow.

We are using TortoiseSVN instead (Explorer plugin) and I like that combonation better anyway. Alt-tabbing to the explorer window isn't that big a deal and TortoiseSVN seems quite a bit more polished than the plugin.

I was using an early access IDEA 4.5 for the last couple of weeks. Very nice. My favorite IDE by far.
  6. IntelliJ 4.5[ Go to top ]

How stable is the 4.5 compared to 4? I'm using the latest 4 series builds (1185) and I can run it through the whole day without problems (project size > 1000 classes).

Any speed differences? Can the 4.5 be run on 1.5 JRE?
  7. IntelliJ 4.5[ Go to top ]

4.5 is noticeably faster than 4.0 for my large project. It can run on JRE 1.5 and it supports the latest 1.5 features. Also it imported my 4.0 project without any problem.

Regards,
    Manoj

http://manojc.com
  8. IntelliJ 4.5[ Go to top ]

Seems to be quite responsive and fast with project of about 700 classes & about 300 more resource files.

Though, I found instabilites in debugging. The JVM detach (i.e., disconnecting from the remotely debugged JVM) threw an exception in 70-80% of cases. It didn't crash anything, but the famous Shutdown/Ignore button choice is annoying. I hope, that's fixed in 4.5 final.

My resume: highly recommended.
  9. IDEA 4.5 compared to 4[ Go to top ]

There's no comparison in terms of features and speed, especially for multiple modules and the ANT script generator feature.

4.5 is bad to the bone, and they have worked out all the bugs I hit. It's freak'in awesome!
  10. The plugin does not seem to work with the new 4.5 version. On Windows the plugin causes some serious delays. For some odd reason on Linux these delays were hardly noticeable. But things will get better, the 0.9 version of the plugin is supposed to address some performance issues.
    Does anyone have experience with the Subersion plugin for IntelliJ? Is it good?http://svnup.tigris.org/thanks,
    We are using Subversion and like it a lot.I had mixed feelings about the plugin. Seemed to make some operations prettty slow.We are using TortoiseSVN instead (Explorer plugin) and I like that combonation better anyway. Alt-tabbing to the explorer window isn't that big a deal and TortoiseSVN seems quite a bit more polished than the plugin.I was using an early access IDEA 4.5 for the last couple of weeks. Very nice. My favorite IDE by far.
  11. I agree. I found itmuch easier to use TortoiseSVN than the plugin as it seemed a lot faster and easier to use.
  12. Yet another milestone for another great IDE.

At production, we use both IDEA and Eclipse. There are some good points in Eclipse and some good points in Eclipse. So i keep both of them.

Congrats to the IDEA Team on this achivement :)
  13. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

Actually I experienced severe memory leaks with IDEA 4.0+. All of them were happening in one place: Module Settings->Classpath tab->Add jar/directory. You press the button, the window with directory structure appears and you see in task manager how VM Size grows to HUGE numbers. Last time it was 1.3Gb. You just do nothing and observe how memory is consumed.
  14. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

Actually I experienced severe memory leaks with IDEA 4.0+. All of them were happening in one place: Module Settings->Classpath tab->Add jar/directory. You press the button, the window with directory structure appears and you see in task manager how VM Size grows to HUGE numbers. Last time it was 1.3Gb. You just do nothing and observe how memory is consumed.
    I've never run into that issue using IDEA 3 & 4+ for the last few years on reasonably big projects. Must be something unique to your configuration? If it is a reproduceable bug make sure you record it at the idea website. I've found they are pretty speedy with support and patches.
  15. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

My experience
    3.+ - worked just fine, sometimes freeze ( once in 2 - 5 days while running 24x7)
    4.0.3 - unstable and has problems with memory and parsing of jar files (overall resolution - unusable)
    4.5 - works just fine, no problems noticed, thanks for making IDEA usable again and pleasant to work with.
  16. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

Well, I checked their website. This problem is mentioned couple of times. Though, they claim, that when you press trash button, all becomes ok...don't know, may be it's really hard to reproduce problem, unique to some special config. Anyway, I can live with it.
  17. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

Check this thread if you're interested:
  18. Memory leaks[ Go to top ]

Actually I experienced severe memory leaks with IDEA 4.0+. All of them were >happening in one place: Module Settings->Classpath tab->Add jar/directory. You >press the button, the window with directory structure appears and you see in task >manager how VM Size grows to HUGE numbers. Last time it was 1.3Gb. You just do >nothing and observe how memory is consumed.

I experienced similar problem evaluating IDEA 4.0 and Eclipse 3.0. It was caused by symlinks. Make sure You don't have symlinks on your path. I reported bug to jetbrains some time ago, they confirmed it is know (it's curius they haven't fixed this yet, though). Frankly speaking i've chosen Eclipse because of this bug :))).

Artur