Discussions

Performance and scalability: Input needed on scalable web application architecture

1. Hi,
    I am familiar with J2EE technology but far from expert.
    I would like to get your opinion in moving a C# server application to Java

Characteristics of applications are:
    1. server hosts various business processes to execute(BPEL)
    1. Server process is invoked using SOAP over http
    2. uses in-memory database to keep track of long running business process
    3. Uses relational database to store request/rewponse. However, it does not have to read this data to process a request.
    4. server has APIs to determine which process it listens
    5. Implements WS-Security, WS-addressing,and related standards to communicatie with client
    6. Doesn't require any transaction support

Goal is:
    1. application should be able to run on Linux as well on windows
    2. Should be very fast and reliable
    3. Should be able to do clustering and load balancing

My Question is,
    - is this application a good candidate for J2EE with Session beans
    or
    should I use servlets with plain Java objects?

Any input is sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Ashish
  2. 6. Doesn't require any transaction
    IMHO, that´s the reason why you shouldn´t use Session Beans. If you don´t have transactions, the SessionBeans aren´t going to contribute anything interesting.

Regards
  3. Uses relational database to store request/rewponse. However, it does not have to read this data to process a request... Doesn't require any transaction support ... Question is, - is this application a good candidate for J2EE with Session beans or should I use servlets with plain Java objects?Any input is sincerely appreciated.
    If you are not going to use transactions, then it is not neccesary to use sessions beans. Also, if you don't read information of the data base, of course you shouldn't use entity beans, so maybe you could run the application in a web container (you don't need a EJB container) such as Tomcat (this runs on Linux, but also in Windows).

Jose R. Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga