Problems with Struts 1.1 and WebLogic 8.1 SP3

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Problems with Struts 1.1 and WebLogic 8.1 SP3

1. Problems with Struts 1.1 and WebLogic 8.1 SP3 (5 messages)

I have a struts 1.1 application that works perfectly on Tomcat and JBoss but when I deploy to WLS 8.1 SP3 I get the following error when WLS tries to load the webapp:
    Servlet: "action" failed to preload on startup in ation: "myapp"

javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Parsing error processing resource path
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.handleConfigException(Ljava.lang.String;Ljava.lang.Exception;)V(ActionServlet.java:1035
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.parseModuleConfigFile(Ljava.lang.String;Ljava.lang.String;Lorg.apache.struts.config.ModuleConfig;Lorg.apache.commons.digester.Digester;Ljava.lang.String;)V(ActionServlet.java:1014
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleConfig(Ljava.lang.String;Ljava.lang.String;)Lorg.apache.struts.config.ModuleConfig;(ActionServlet.java:955
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init()V(ActionServlet.java:470
    Has anyone else seen this behaviour? It appears to be related to parsing the struts-config but I know the config is ok since it works in other app servers.

Thanks,

Andy.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Hi,
     I got the same problem, and I'm trying on the same environment setup.
     I have struts 1.1 application, which i'm trying to deploy on the
     Weblogic8.1 sp3.
     I hope You might find some solution.
     If You know the cause of the problem, please let me know.
     I Appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Reddy.
  3. I have Struts and WL SP4 running and was still getting this error. There is a reported error for Java Server Faces which involves the order servlets are init'd (something different). The error 'Servlet: "action" failed to preload on startup in ation: xxx' is fairly generic...I think you have to look at the very next line for clues of what's really going on.

The problem I had (and the solution) aren't very glamorous: this error for me was caused by a remnant CLASSPATH setting that I had at the system level (of course, something I never usually do). I let the WL command file set all the paths needed. I set this system-level CLASSPATH to do some unit testing, and forgot that it was set.

When I started the WL container, it threw this exception and proceeded to exhibit some really strange behavior (some pages displayed, some threw nasty exceptions).
  4. facing the same problem.[ Go to top ]

I facethe same problem.
    My application was running perfectly in jBoss. But when i am trying to migrate this in weblogic8.1 i had a problem similar to urs

<Jul 27, 2005 4:25:57 PM IST> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101216> <Servlet: "action" failed to preload on startup in Web application: "opal".
    javax.servlet.ServletException: org/apache/commons/collections/FastHashMap
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:884)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(ServletStubImpl.java:848)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:787)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3252)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlets(WebAppServletContext.java:3197)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadResources(WebAppServletContext.java:3174)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.HttpServer.preloadResources(HttpServer.java:688)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebService.preloadResources(WebService.java:483)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletInitService.resume(ServletInitService.java:30)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemManager.resume(SubsystemManager.java:131)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.resume(T3Srvr.java:964)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:359)
            at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)
    >
    <Jul 27, 2005 4:25:57 PM IST> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101216> <Servlet: "action" failed to preload on startup in Web application: "eOpal".
    javax.servlet.ServletException: org/apache/commons/collections/FastHashMap
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:884)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(ServletStubImpl.java:848)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:787)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3252)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlets(WebAppServletContext.java:3197)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadResources(WebAppServletContext.java:3174)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.HttpServer.preloadResources(HttpServer.java:688)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebService.preloadResources(WebService.java:483)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletInitService.resume(ServletInitService.java:30)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemManager.resume(SubsystemManager.java:131)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.resume(T3Srvr.java:964)
            at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:359)
            at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:32)

Please let me know, I need to know the directory structure of the application and where i need to put all the project jars.
    Shall i put in the bea\weblogic81\server\lib or in bea\jdk141_05\jre\lib.
  5. Any resolution?[ Go to top ]

I'm working on my first Struts app using Tomcat and plan to move it to Weblogic. Has this problem been resolved somehow?
  6. Re: Any resolution?[ Go to top ]

Looks like that struts-config.xml is missing from WEB-INF folder. Check your build file whether it is skipping contents of WEB-INF or not.