Discussions

News: JSX released under the GPL

1. JSX released under the GPL (8 messages)

freeJSX is a free version of JSX, now released under the GPL. It is a re-engineering of Java Object Serialization from scratch: we kept the ability to handle Serializable objects, but removed the need for Serializable itself (and serialVersionUID, too).

This version features highly readable XML, which is compact though use of attributes for primitives and cleaned by omitting the standalone information of JSX. It works with all objects without modification (whether Serializable or not), and does not need a no-argument constructor, nor special converters.

Visit the JSX homepage

Download JSX

Threaded Messages (8)

2. JSX vs Xml{En,De}coder[ Go to top ]

For java [de]serialization to/from XML in JDK1.4, can we not just use java.beans.Xml{En,De}coder ? Why JSX ?
  3. JSX vs Xml{En,De}coder[ Go to top ]

For java [de]serialization to/from XML in JDK1.4, can we not just use java.beans.Xml{En,De}coder ? Why JSX ?
    The JRE's XmlEncoder is very flaky (44 unresolved bugs on BugParade). Also, it only supports bean properties, which is lame.
  4. Why GPL?[ Go to top ]

GPL is not friendly to not-GPL developers. You cannot use it unless your code is GPL too. That's IMO too restrictive for a library.

I doubt, JSX will be successfull, because most (even open source) projects are not released under GPL, so they couldn't use it as component. If you dont like apache license, please release it with LGPL at least ..
  5. Why GPL?[ Go to top ]

+1
  6. Why GPL?[ Go to top ]

+1. Why don't use LGPL ?

bye,
    Luca Garulli
    www.OrienTechnologies.com
  7. Why GPL?[ Go to top ]

Ok, browsing the website make things more clear to me.

freeJSX is the FREE version of the commercial "professional" purchasable on: www.jsx.org. If you want to use in a commercial project you had to buy it.

bye,
    Luca Garulli
    www.OrienTechnologies.com
  8. Why GPL?[ Go to top ]

I see. I was lazy to open their URL ..
  9. +1 for JSX[ Go to top ]

We've used JSX for years, and it has always been useful and stable. Keep up the good work Brendan.

Damien
    www.teramedica.com