Discussions

News: Shaking: Scott Dietzen leaves BEA and Kent Beck joins Agitar

1. There is even more moving and shaking :) This time Scott Dietzen is leaving BEA to move to the consulting world, and Kent Beck (Mr. TDD/XP/JUnit) has joined Agitar Technologies.
    Dietzen's departure is one of a series of organizational moves, including a revamped sales operation at the infrastructure software maker. The changes were put into effect on Monday, just as BEA announced that its second-quarter revenue and earnings will come in slightly below Thomson First Call's consensus estimate of polled financial analysts.

Dietzen, a high-profile technology executive in the software industry, will be replaced by Mark Carges, who has held both sales and product development roles at BEA. Dietzen follows the exit of technology visionary and former BEA chief architect Adam Bosworth, who left BEA to work for Google at the end of July.
    BEA's chief technology officer says bye-bye
    "There is a strong movement towards increased accountability for software developers and software development organizations. Accountability is expected from every other profession in the world, and now software developers are being held accountable too," said Kent Beck. "Developer Testing is a important step towards accountability. It gives developers a way to demonstrate the quality of the software they produce. Developing transparently, they become more productive by wasting less time reworking errors."
    Kent Beck, Creator of JUnit and Pioneer of eXtreme Programming, Becomes Agitar Software Fellow

Threaded Messages (14)

2. I used to work for Mark Carges at BEA. He is a pretty talented guy. The complexity of Tuxedo which he co-authored at Bell Labs far surpasses that of WebLogic so he is definitely qualified technically. Also, he can sell with the best of them so the balance is there.
  3. This is only a test[ Go to top ]

Looks like Kent Beck is now testing the consulting market.
  4. from Agitar web site...[ Go to top ]

Beck to accelerate Agitar Software’s mission to make developer testing a ubiquitous software development practice
    Developer testing? What are they testing them for? Sun certification? AIDS?
  5. Agitar[ Go to top ]

If you write JUnit tests you should check out Agitator. The Agitator will run thousands of tests against your code without you having to think about all the corner cases. And that is really the point. The tool thinks about all the corner cases so you don't have to.

The example I noted here is what sold me on the tool.
  6. People leaving BEA ?[ Go to top ]

Just a thought:

People leaving BEA. Signs of a Healthy market(where people leave and join) or something with BEA?
    I have no clue. Just wondering. Any views??
  7. People leaving BEA ?[ Go to top ]

Just a thought:People leaving BEA. Signs of a Healthy market(where people leave and join) or something with BEA?I have no clue. Just wondering. Any views??
    I don't know about BEA but rats generally leave a sinking ship. I think the Java market is very good for developers right now. Polish those resumes fellas!
  8. not a good sign for bea[ Go to top ]

first adam b and now scott d. hope the market won't be monopolized by IBM
  9. not a good sign for bea[ Go to top ]

I used to work with BEA in professional service as a senior consultant. The in look and outlook of that company is not same. In look is highly ugly, a hell lot of problems. Outlook was always good cuz BEA had good products and right mode of business approach. There are a hell lot of people inside BEA who will not respect the technical and business talent on individuals, working and worked behind their great products such as Weblogic application server. Working for BEA was a dream but once I got inside, it was just like another hell where a lot of idiots play their own roles and create as much as trouble. Personally as a technical person, working in USA through an immigration process, facing the troubles inside was a heavy load for me. But my aspirations to learn new technologies and move on always helped me to market me better once I left BEA.
  10. The Grass Really Is Greener[ Go to top ]

News Flash! The grass REALLY is greener on the other side of the hill.

However, what this really translates to is that: as complex physiological people that we are, we need change from time to time. An this can also be said true of organizations: corporate and government. A case in point: I'm in favor of Schwarzenegger's agenda to reorganization the California government. Can you spell: MTBE?

IMHO, for an executive, five years is probably a top range to be in any one role. By that time, one has made the significant contributions one can, and any longer is just more a maintenance role.

It is BEAs' time to look within and to look without and to refresh it's organization. This is an opportunity for new blood to command the perpetual market battle which corporations constantly wage on each other.

So a better question is: who new will BEA be bringing on board (perhaps time to dust off your resume?), and what direction should the company take? I've always noticed that BEA lacks an enterprise persistence product (i.e. database). Perhaps something in XML. Hey, Bosworth! Where are you? Hmm. Or maybe time for a Tim O'Reilly?
  11. The Grass Really Is Greener[ Go to top ]

Yes, an XML database! This is going to cure all our problems. Oh man...
  12. The Grass Really Is Greener[ Go to top ]

IBM was very quick to respond: Is BEA DOA? Scott Dietzen Becomes This Week's Casualty
  13. The Grass Really Is Greener[ Go to top ]

IBM was very quick to respond: Is BEA DOA? Scott Dietzen Becomes This Week's Casualty
    Having used Weblogic the last four years (5.1-8.1) and am now trying to deploy an existing live bea Weblogic App. on WebSphere 5.1 I think technically and ease of use bea have very little to worry about.

My impression from where I working is that you spend a shed load of money on IBM Hardware and Consulting Services and they (IBM) give away Websphere licences, which they post as revenue out of the hardware costs.

Through choice I cannot see why anyone would chose Websphere over bea!
  14. No trial copy of Agitator??[ Go to top ]

I would love to try Agitator, et al. Unfortunately, I can't find a download link on their website. That, the lack of pricing information, and all the "extreme" hype tell me one thing ... it costs too much.
  15. I agree .. No trial copy[ Go to top ]

I would love to try Agitator, et al. Unfortunately, I can't find a download link on their website. That, the lack of pricing information, and all the "extreme" hype tell me one thing ... it costs too much.
    I got a chance to look at Agitar Demo at NoVAJUG. The presentation was great. I went to their site to check for a Trial download or Pricing scheme.
    Nothing available !!
    The only way is to call the sales person :(