PowerMap JDO for Database Integration

Discussions

News: PowerMap JDO for Database Integration

1. PowerMap JDO for Database Integration (10 messages)

PowerMap JDO are pleased to announce the release of PowerMap JDO Professional and Enterprise editions. These products focus on database integration, with innovative mapping and configurability to simplify Java integration to both new and existing databases.

PowerMap JDO offers the first JDO Database Integration solution. Advanced mapping capabilities allow the broad range of SQL databases & formats to be accessed, with transparent integration™ making this possible without changes to existing applications.

Features highlights include:
    - access to SQL databases
    - read, update and query thru mappings
    - advanced integration features – incl secondary and mapped keys, UJ and hybrid structures, distinct column typing, precision column control, transparent locking
    - high performance data engine
    - visual JDO WorkBench tool
    - schema editing
    - activation & testing
    - forward/ reverse engineering (Enterprise)
    - extensible and configurable mapping system.

PowerMap JDO includes plugins for the Eclipse™ environment as well as loosely coupled and Ant-based development. The integrated JDO WorkBench tool offers class, mapping and schema editing and (Enterprise edition) forward and reverse engineering features.

For further information or download a 30-day free trial, check our website at:

www.powermapjdo.com

Cheers,
    Thomas Whitmore
    PowerMap JDO

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Congratulations to Thomas and the PowerMap team at SCE!

JDO continues to grow, which is testimony to the strength of the technology and the benefits which JDO brings to customers. A good standard is only good if it is well-implemented. I had a look around the net and came up with the following list of JDO implementations which claim support of the JDO standard (sincere apologies for any omissions).

I make that 14 implementations across which your JDO 1.0 applications are portable today, with other not-yet-compliant implementations in the wings. Many of the above products are already previewing JDO 2.0 features such as attach/detach, query aggregation/projection etc. Between them they target a vast array of databases including, but not limited to, SQL databases.

A competitor in your sector is using JDO today.... ;-)

Kind regards, Robin.
  3. A competitor in your sector is using JDO today.... ;-)
    And we're using Hibernate to beat competitor's JDO :)
  4. if you use hibernate then you're locking yourself into hibernate's non-standard APIs.

you can have all of the benefits of open source *and* open standards if you use one of the open-source JDO implementations such as JPOX, OJB, TJDO, XORM, ...
  5. hibernates strengths[ Go to top ]

.. are obvious: tried and tested how-many-thousands of times. Driven by a community. Clearly focused on relational databases (which is a must - because who wants to loose power and functionality of the database because of a deficient API and the questionable prospect of being able to move to a file datastore - or an object database - one day).
    JDO is just now learning that the idea of abstracting away the specifics and features/power of the underlying database was a mistake in the first place - although vendors understood that earlier on.

Having said that - dont make your choice based on ideology. Weigh the strengths/weaknesses, and choose the right tool. There are very good JDO implementations out there.

christian
  6. you can have all of the benefits of open source *and* open standards if you use one of the open-source JDO implementations such as JPOX, OJB, TJDO, XORM, ...
    Speedo from ObjectWeb is also open source, so there are 5 open source implementations to choose from. And rumour has it that the RI for JDO 2.0 will go to Apache as a JDO-dedicated project distinct from OJB, which would make it 6 credible open source implementations by year end.

Kind regards, Robin.
  7. Sure hibernate is nice but have you tried jdo?
    It's really not that different to work with. I started using Jdo before hibernate and the change was really easy since i understood the basics of persistence. Stuff like Spring’s Hibernate support is really nice but now they have Jdo support too. I can't say that one is better than the other but Jdo being a standard is really a + in my book and with more and more implementations popping up jdo will hopefully get more support. I would like to see Hibernate Jdo2 compatible but I guess Gavin and the hibernate team will keep insisting that Jdo is not for them and not provide a valid reason.
  8. JDO API and standards[ Go to top ]

Hi Robin, Christian, people,

Thanks for the positive comments, and it’s great that there’s such interest in the field.

What our focus is with PowerMap JDO, is the data access and integration engine, configurability and tools to support this.

In the commercial world, requirements are often a lot tougher; with changing databases, moving specs and coexistence with existing applications. JDO enables us to deliver this technology into a standardized package, and we think this is a big win.

If you’ve got budget for your project, we’d definitely recommend you download the trial and check it out.

Having a strong technical background and being conservative grouches at heart, we’re also very clear on API and theory issues. The JDO api is a good standard for OO management and has major strengths. But what’s important for customers is the flexibility to cope with database, application and technology transitions – and standards are just a huge factor in that.

Cheers,
    Thomas Whitmore
    www.powermapjdo.com
  9. Speaking of choosing the right tool for the right job... Does anyone know of any place online where they compare different JDO implementations by feature set? I am looking for an objective set of features for choosing a JDO implementation... many thanks. - F.C
  10. Fabio,

What dev env are you using? What kind of features/ requirements are most important for your projects?
  11. This could be of interest[ Go to top ]

Dear Thomas, Robin, Alex, Dave, Simon, Christian and Fabio,

Just wanted to introduce you to Daffodil DB, a Java database that is J2EE certified and fully functional with Hibernate, JBoss and Tomcat. You can download a 90-day free evaluation version at: Free Download

Cheers,

Uday Parmar
    Daffodil Software