Rumors: BEA Brain Drain

Discussions

News: Rumors: BEA Brain Drain

1. Rumors: BEA Brain Drain (29 messages)

Is BEA suffering a major brain drain at the executive levels? Now that Adam Bosworth and Scott Dietzen have left BEA, the stories are pouring out about a more significant brain drain.

Is this BEA specific? or is there just a lot of shuffle at the moment?

Here are the rumors:
    Tod Nielsen, Microsoft alum and CMO asked to run the product division for a couple months, but now replaced by Alfred who is running it directly.

Olivier Helleboid, EVP of products, is now involved in corporate development.

Charlie Ill, EVP of WW Sales, former IBM sales VP, is no longer running sales.

Tom Ashburn, EVP of WW Services, former HP head of Services, is now running services, marketing AND sales.

Rick Jackson, VP of Marketing, has left and is now the new CMO at Borland

Erik Frieberg, Sr. Director of WebLogic Server, JRockit, WebLogic Workshop, and Tuxedo product marketing, has left and is now VP, Product Marketing at Borland

Vittorio Viarengo, VP of Platform Engineering, has left.

Dave Hinman, VP of Development for WebLogic Integration, has left.

Chet Kapoor, GM of WebLogic Integration, has left.

Scott Edgington, VP of Global Alliances, has left and is rumored at going to Voltage Security.

David Bau, founder, designer and architect for the open-source XMLBeans project, has moved on.
    These are some significant shake ups, if these rumors are true.

Are people reading too much into this?

Alan Williamson thinks so: Disappointed with the SYS-CON coverage of BEA

Also note where some of the coverage came from: Is BEA DOA?

Threaded Messages (29)

2. You mean to tell me they had a brain?[ Go to top ]

BEA portal 7 proves otherwise.
  3. Acquisition by oracle?[ Go to top ]

Sad to see BEA suffering. It has been the technology leader and would be sad to see it in decline. Maybe, one of the big players (HP, Oracle), would acquire it.
    It would be nice if Oracle acquires it and dumps their crappy app server.
  4. crappy App server ???[ Go to top ]

Take a look at orion server, if you do something bette, do it !

/Joel
  5. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

I could be wrong but the majority of these people don't seem to come from BEA's brain trust. They don't seem to be the Joy / Gosling types. Who really cares about middle manager bureaucrats who aren't intimately familiar with the technology?
  6. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

Any CEO will tell you that your sales force will make you or break you. The big tech names are great too but someone has to go out and close the deals or there is no revenue.
  7. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

Any CEO will tell you that your sales force will make you or break you. The big tech names are great too but someone has to go out and close the deals or there is no revenue.
    Could that be because most of those CEOs came out of sales? I wonder what entrepreneur or techie CEOs (like BEA's) would say?
  8. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

I've heard this from CEO's coming out of Engineering, Manufacturing and Finance as well. Doesn't matter what sector. For companies that use a direct model such as Dell then Marketing is the key. All departments are important and can't be replaced but sales & marketing is usually seen as the engine driving the train.
  9. As long as the core technology group stay with BEA, there won't be much issue to handle this. Moreover, what if this is consider as a clean-up ?. If a Top technologist goes out that make difference. Eg. History of MS-SQLServer :: Mirosoft grabbed Sybase gurus and simulated Sybase as MS-SQLServer. I think this is not at all going to happend that way...!

-- Jack
  10. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

The list may not be from the "Brain Trust", but Wall Street is going to look. Less $$$ available for R&D, innovation and the like in addition to a sliding stock price which is going to hurt operational capital -- not good. I wouldn't poo-poo this reorg. I don't think CMO is a middle management argument.

IMO, Tod Nieslen was there too long with his overemphasis on Workshop as the future of the BEA product line. WLS, WLI and Portal are solid products but when you're pinned to a terrible product like Workshop to "glue the suite together", disaster isn't far behind. I'm not sure this is a case of rats leaving a sinking ship or non-performing management being taken out back and shot.
  11. Workshop: terrible?[ Go to top ]

Can you explain your problems with Workshop?

I've heard nearly nothing but praise for it, aside from the resource hunger.

-Gary
  12. None of them[ Go to top ]

"The question for me is who is WebLogic's hardest rival: .NET or other J2EE servers?"

Spring/Tomcat.
  13. None of them[ Go to top ]

hehe Rolf is dreaming with M$ payroll .Net must suck that is why you hang out here.
    BEA is solid compnay and Weblogic server is one of the best app server.
    No wonder Best Buy dumped .Not and are now running J2EE eCommerce site.
    .Not is is buggy and full of holes like IE.
  14. what brain drain?[ Go to top ]

One note for clarity: David Bau was a member of the "brain trust" for BEA, as he would be for any organization. He has a rare combination of vision, initiative, and technical chops. I'm using a piece of his software to write this response, as a matter of fact <grin>.
  15. Rumors: BEA Brain Drain[ Go to top ]

Interesting thought. At first glance, it does appear that the rats are abandoning the ship but I think Brian's comments in the post above are correct. As long as the core engineering teams are intact and not bailing, BEA can afford to lose middle and even top management.

We are and have been long-time BEA customers and absolutely love the products. In my personal dealing with BEA, I've been told many a times about mismanagement at the middle management level by PS people. There are tons of egos fighting their little turf wars instead of looking out for the company or the customer as a whole. BEA has/had incredible growth and I wonder if these are just normal growing pains of a small, entrepreneurial company that's built by acquisitions.

Being a customer and a shareholder, I hope Alfred Chuang is actually in control and cleaning up the mess. It would be really sad to be stuck in a world with JBoss and WebSphere as your only choice. (No flames about Geronimo, Jonas, Pramati, etc..)

--Vinny
  16. Rumors: BEA Brain Drain[ Go to top ]

It would be really sad to be stuck in a world with JBoss and WebSphere as your only choice. (No flames about Geronimo, Jonas, Pramati, etc..)
    But it still would be better, than being stuck in a world with IIS, would not it? ;)
  17. Rumors: BEA Brain Drain[ Go to top ]

Um, that's sort of an ignorant comment, because if top management starts to leave or has a high turnout rate, this means their sales will suffer. They may already have a customer base they can feed off of, but it will hurt long term sales & growth. So, while engineering is of extreme importance, without the sales aspect driving it, there would be no BEA, and no engineers. BEA is no research institution, it's a business, made to generate revenue as well as profits. So some happy balance between these two sides should exist, but if management sucks, then this can hurt the company far more than if they had a technicall less than stellar product...
  18. Rumor-mongering[ Go to top ]

Dion, I am a little sad to see TSS fanning the rumor mill here. And it was even more disappointing to see you making the post. I expect to see responsible, substantive news posts here, not speculations that make TSS look like a gossip column. Your concern about what is going on inside BEA may be well-intentioned but the rush to publicise the rumors seems a little thoughtless and imprudent.
  19. gossip?[ Go to top ]

Gossip is what makes up the life and nerve of a column.

Sun and Bea is in the same situation.

1) No viable business idea (selling Elephant servers and Big Iron?)
    2) Revenue is down.
    3) Their stock is falling.
    4) The good people are leaving first, as usual.

If people were not leaving, that would be strange!

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  20. gossip?[ Go to top ]

Rolf -
    Sun and Bea is in the same situation.

1) No viable business idea (selling Elephant servers and Big Iron?)
    2) Revenue is down.
    3) Their stock is falling.
    4) The good people are leaving first, as usual.
    Since IBM seems to be doing well selling Elephant servers and Big Iron, I'd have to say that the "No viable business idea" point is pretty bogus.

Sun's problem is that they have been doubling their "big iron" performance every three years, while the rest of the industry has been doing it every two years. That is bound to catch up with you sooner or later.

BEA is not entirely dissimilar .. good technology and products, but they need to stay ahead, or they lose the interest that brings the dollars with it.

No company in this industry can rest on its laurels and last for long. Even Microsoft has to constantly look for ideas to mimic .. ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  21. First Sun, then Bea, then IBM[ Go to top ]

One billion dollar == One small IBM consulting contract.

Sooner or later the shareholders of big companies will realize what incredible money-wasting the middle management and CTOs are doing. Cheap clusters of Linux and/or Windows with the right zero cost software can do everything the Big EJB Servers can do and do it better. (Google).

That IBM will be last to go is only a sign of the deep reverence that people feel for big money, big apps, big everything (and their love of the status to be associated with these things :)

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  22. First Sun, then Bea, then IBM[ Go to top ]

Wrong. Outsourcing is growing. Companies want to get further and further away from IT. The trend in the large pharmaceutical companies is to outsource the entire data center. Third party providers such as AT&T are now handling most of the IT for growning numbers of companies. Sure, these 3rd parties may run Linux clusters or whatever (I would suspect superdome style hardware with liable vendors would be more popular), but I don't see the end users looking to jump in that direction. Unfortunately for you and I, consolidation is the future.
  23. Dope dealers.[ Go to top ]

The trend in the large pharmaceutical companies is to outsource the entire data center.
    Which inference below is correct?

a) Pharmaceutical data is unimportant.

-or-

b) Data outsourcing is safe and secure.
  24. Dope dealers.[ Go to top ]

Well, would you rather trust your data to your internal employees who are your at will employees and can go as they please or to a large corp you have contracted to house it with legal recourse if things go wrong?
  25. First Sun, then Bea, then IBM[ Go to top ]

Like your deep reverence for this poor company called Microsoft. Hypocrisy sucks!
  26. "Gossip is what makes up the life and nerve of a column."

Are you serious ???

"The good people are leaving first, as usual"

Damm, does this means that we will be stuck with you (Rolf Toollerud) on TheServerSide for ever?
  27. Rumor-mongering[ Go to top ]

I expect to see responsible, substantive news posts here, not speculations that make TSS look like a gossip column.
    The problem is that BEA has allegedly been decieving shareholders. If true, then that fraud-induced information vacuum needs open scrutiny. I've always loved WebLogic's server and still do, so for me this stink seems a chance to buy BEA stock on a dip. BEA is ready for an IT sector boom, and WebLogic's licensing has become very reasonable. The question for me is who is WebLogic's hardest rival: .NET or other J2EE servers?
  28. Rumor-mongering[ Go to top ]

Better remember there's a saying about trying to catch a falling knife ;)
  29. Rumor-mongering[ Go to top ]

Here's the official on Nielsen:

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/040823/beas8-k.html
  30. Seems - deals are going bad in BEA[ Go to top ]

Is BEA suffering a major brain drain at the executive levels? ...
    Quotes dropped twice since May 2004 - from 12 to just 6. IMHO, it's enough evidence of how deals are going on in this company.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=BEAS&sid=0&o_symb=BEAS&freq=1&time=9&x=46&y=14

Best,
    --
    Mike Skorik
    http://www.100kSolutions.com