Sun releases Java Technology Concept Map 1.0

Discussions

News: Sun releases Java Technology Concept Map 1.0

1. Sun releases Java Technology Concept Map 1.0 (48 messages)

The Java Technology Concept Map 1.0 is an interactive diagram, a web of linked terms, to show the relationships among and uses of the Java technologies. You can use the Map to get an overview of the Java landscape as well as learn more about the details of its components.

View the map

Download a static map

Threaded Messages (48)

2. It shows that the java platform needs some refactoring because it's unduly complex and articulated.
  3. Hi,
         I faced the same problem of not being able to see the control bar at the bottom. If you are not able to see the control bar fully at the bottom, make the browser window to 'Full Screen' mode.. by pressing F11 key. Then u will get access to the control bar.

For non windows users, I am not sure. Sorry.

I personally liked it.. Much information in a single place.. great work...

Thanks a lot...
  4. try this URL[ Go to top ]

http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/intro.html
  5. Huh?[ Go to top ]

It shows that the java platform needs some refactoring because it's unduly complex and articulated.
    I found the definition for EJB rather unappropriate: "... pieces of business logic ... that can call either servlets, JSPs or other EJBs"

(Use the index feature of the toolbar if you're unable to find it by hand ;-)
  6. try this[ Go to top ]

Get the pdf version (you can scroll around a lot easier by just keeping
    left mouse click down (hand cursor) and moving the mouse:

http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/Java_Technology_Concept_Map.pdf
  7. It doesn't work[ Go to top ]

I get an image that is zoomed in on the top left corner.
  8. Re: It doesn't work[ Go to top ]

On the bottom you should see a piece of a navigation bar :-)
  9. The bar will not be usable in Mozzila.

SUN should not limit itself to Windows users only!!!
  10. It works on mozilla... i use it.
  11. If you use Mozilla, you just need to switch in Full Screen mode (F11).

A tool bar will appear at the bottom.
  12. No Information value[ Go to top ]

It's really bad!Especially if it is meant to give some information to non java user.
  13. As in subject. Funny.
  14. Works fine on FireFox 0.9.1 for me (Linux).

John Clingan
    Sun Microsystems
  15. Same here , works under Linux/firefox 0.9.1
    Just use this link: http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/intro.html
    This works for me. The original link doesn't.
  16. Unmitigated Disaster[ Go to top ]

I use a Mac, and it doesn't work with Camino or Safari.

Makes you wonder whats going down in the marketing department...
  17. Original Link[ Go to top ]

The original link to go is :
    http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/intro.html
    From there you'll have a dedicated window to view the map.
  18. Useless, pointless[ Go to top ]

Found this unreadable, unusable, useless and pointless. They have resources for this when there are so many outstanding Java bugs?

Also, why did they not use a Java solution, such as http://www.thebrain.com/ (which would have been much more useful and useable).
  19. Useless, pointless[ Go to top ]

Why has Howard Lewis Ship become so negative lately in his posts? He appears to be disgruntled and unhappy for some reason.

I expected somebody who wrote Tapestry to be more positive and supportive of Java technologies.

Marketing is an important aspect of any technology - if Sun doesn't do it, who will?
  20. Useless, pointless[ Go to top ]

That's pretty much what I thought when I saw it. Big waste of their time and money.
  21. I could not read it either!
    The document zooms itself, and there is no scroll bar.
    This basically tells the problem what sun got or why microsoft is leading!

What is the fun in producing a document that nobody can read? Whoever behind this document, just dont know a thing called "user experience".

And user experience is very very important.
  22. And there is bold declaration,

"Programs that make devices and internet more useful for people"!!!

Things cant be funnier than this!!

I could not stop laughing after somehow managed to read this!!
  23. I could not read it either!The document zooms itself, and there is no scroll bar. This basically tells the problem what sun got or why microsoft is leading!What is the fun in producing a document that nobody can read? Whoever behind this document, just dont know a thing called "user experience".And user experience is very very important.
    I can't believe instead of you leveraging what we have, you bitch about sun and praise microsoft for no reason. I think i was able to read very well, and i don't think it is intended for end users who are dumb enough to use microsoft tools..
    This is java, it is supposed to be complex!!! So live with it and add something to the community!
  24. I could not read it either!The document zooms itself, and there is no scroll bar. This basically tells the problem what sun got or why microsoft is leading!What is the fun in producing a document that nobody can read? Whoever behind this document, just dont know a thing called "user experience".And user experience is very very important.
    I can't believe instead of you leveraging what we have, you bitch about sun and praise microsoft for no reason. I think i was able to read very well, and i don't think it is intended for end users who are dumb enough to use microsoft tools..This is java, it is supposed to be complex!!! So live with it and add something to the community!
    You can't just think about reality, can you?

Just come out, and read what i have said.

Microsoft is leading, yes, thats undeniable factor. But I did not say they make better software or Windows is better than Solaris or .NET is better than java environment.
    What I am saying is, microsoft is a leading Software company mainly b'cos their desktop products are easy to use.

And the document we were talking abt. itself is not java. It is a PDF file, and there is every possibility to make it easy to use. Just b'cos it is related to java, there is no need to make it the way it was!

Not Sun, not microsoft every company is here to meet user requirements. Thats the key point.Ask anybody inside to Sun, they will say, the prime goal at this moment is make java easier to use.

Stop thinking just b'cos using java you are superior to others. Just because somebody uses a tool that is easier to use does not mean they are dumb.Whether they achieve what they want is the point here, not how complex the tool itself was!!!

Just think before you speak!
  25. I had not problems viewing this FLASH application.

It worked great, and if you would take a moment (read: have more patience than it takes to pick your nose and spout off that it sucks) to trace through it, you might just be enlightened.

You bunch of chicken-littles are pathetic! Learn to use a computer! Then, learn to read!

JC
  26. I had not problems viewing this FLASH application.It worked great, and if you would take a moment (read: have more patience than it takes to pick your nose and spout off that it sucks) to trace through it, you might just be enlightened.You bunch of chicken-littles are pathetic! Learn to use a computer! Then, learn to read!JC
    Windbags !
  27. get the static map[ Go to top ]

Download the static map instead, it's easier to read.

I also have problems reading the scrollbar, even in IE. So, I think it's just poor Flash programming by Sun.
  28. All this buzz for that...[ Go to top ]

Why IE, not Mozilla (It's works fine on my Mozilla win32, also on my Mac ! )

It's remember me the PC/Mac war for ten past years... If Sun continue to propote/advertise the Java Technology like this, Java will stay a geek langage... and if geek continue to chat about MS or Mozilla... Java will be overused by .NET.

What a newbie will think opening this big map ? too complex, I go back to basic.... visual basic... then .NET

Sybase done the same , Oracle won

Sun must push in the low level computer professionals... as they are trying to do with Java Studio... one of the main weapon of M$ is the usability of Visual .NET.

Hubert
    J2EE Consultant
  29. All this buzz for that...[ Go to top ]

"This is java, it is supposed to be complex!!! So live with it and add something to the community! "

Do you know how retarded that sounds? I'm a java developer and I have to frameworks and helper software just to get my work done. I work for weeks just developing software so I can write the software I need to write. I wish it was easier. Smart people know why you need to simplify. People that want to use complex tools are real engineers - they just don't know any better.
  30. All this buzz for that...[ Go to top ]

"This is java, it is supposed to be complex!!! So live with it and add something to the community! "Do you know how retarded that sounds? I'm a java developer and I have to frameworks and helper software just to get my work done. I work for weeks just developing software so I can write the software I need to write. I wish it was easier. Smart people know why you need to simplify. People that want to use complex tools are real engineers - they just don't know any better.
    Can't agree with you more, Ken. Although, this was discussed many times, many ways, java world is full of over-engineered and now abandened projects that noone wants to maintain. Let's not forget that our paycheck is coming from a faithful patient client, who needs quality... oh well.
  31. Learn to spell. Then come back.
  32. inefficient use of flash[ Go to top ]

Assuming the requirements specified the map be done in flash, they could have done a much better job.
    As an aside, if they're going to create something like this, you'd think they'd take the opportunity to hilight the flexibility of Java. There's a very innovative zoomable interface toolkit for Java called 'Piccolo' that would have added signifigantly to the whiz bang factor AND improved usability. Piccolo is at http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo/index.shtml
  33. I can see it in Mozilla under Linux.
    In fact a saw it before this article were published.
    If you go to http://java.sun.com and follow the Sun link, it will just work.
    Stop blaming Sun now.
    Rivas
  34. So where can i buy the wallpaper version. The image is a bit too big to get a good view of it so perhaps decorating my walls with it would help.
  35. What's more disturbing?[ Go to top ]

I don't know what's worse, the poor design of this sheet, or the fact that the userless powers that be at TSS decided to plop it on their site. Maybe I should make a news aggregator site to get some actual "Useful" stuff going. Geeze.
  36. I think I must live on a much happier plannet that most of the people who fire in messages to TSS!!!

I have the map working perfectly on my Deblin GNU/Linux box, using Firefox 0.8. If people cannot install something as simple as Flash on there Linux computers, how are they going to manage to develop/deploy Java apps on them??

I find the map quite useful to visualise how things are interconnected with Java. I really like the index and the way it scrolls to the selection to let you know where that topic is in relation to the rest of the map.

It would be nice if there is something for other large projects, such as Jakarta and XML at apache. Is there something already available that provides this that I have missed.
  37. it is funny to see the company that sells you the idea that Java is present anywhere and everywhere and has 90% or more of the browser market, use Flash to showcase that same tecnology, they did this not because they are stupid, but because they know it is cheaper and easier, not to talk faster at runtime or loading, to build suy a user interface in anything but a Java technology. no wonder why macromedia and m$ own the eyes of the user.
  38. swf version :)[ Go to top ]

http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/SunMap_final15_JavaBlue.swf
  39. Java Technology Concept Map[ Go to top ]

Chen

Thanks a lot for your address.

Sam 

40. Doesn't work on my FireFox 0.9.3[ Go to top ]

It's useless.
  41. Nag nag nag[ Go to top ]

Let me get this right: everybody hates the fact that it isn't done in Java, but at the same time everybody feels that not doing it in Java prooves that Flash is so much better; then everybody starts complaining that this Flash solution doesn't work on all systems (which *would* have made Java a more appropriate choice, right?). Hello! Is this entire thread owned by people who sold their souls to M$, or what.

Heck, I just think its neat. I don't have a clue how this could help me in my day-by-day job, but it definitely surprised me in a pleasant way. I like surprises. (Apparently unlike many on this thread.)

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."

-- Scott Fitzgerald

Note the above, and note how it qualifies the people that can't stand the fact that Java and Flash co-exist within Sun.
  42. Serving content issue[ Go to top ]

This is the second article which i've clicked to read on tss today, and its the second article which contents can't be viewed. Dang, i'm thinking this is tss issue.

Mohd Amin
  43. Nice to have[ Go to top ]

I find the map most useful.
    Part of my work involves training newbies to the java language and J2EE. I showed them this map and they were most interested.
    Newbies are often lost and confused with Java, as they are with any technology, and from what I daily read on the TSS threads, even in this very thread, it seems that many people are.
    Many criticisms towards Java come from lack of knowledge and the fear that it would change our habits.
    There is no point in screaming that Java is a pile of crap.
    For instance, in my company all developers are both skilled Java/J2EE as well as C#/.Net developers.
    It doesn't take us more time or resources to build world-class business application in Java/J2EE as in C#/.Net
    And we achieve the same level of good performance with either technologies, so to us it doesn't matter at all which technology our customers choose.
    It's all really a matter of skills, organization, best practices and architecture (...and marketing).
    You really need all of these things at a high level to succeed.
    Blaming a technology won't help you overcome its difficulties, nor will it help you sell your own technology.
    Don't blame it just because you don't understand it, blame yourself instead.
    I don't think calling Sun idiots is a proof of intelligence: they created something fresh and new, you did not. Nor would it be clever to call MS idiots: they're #1, you are not.
    Best regards.
  44. Bad marketing[ Go to top ]

Instead of drawing you a map they should simplify Java so you don't need a map.
  45. Re: Bad marketing[ Go to top ]

Instead of drawing you a map they should simplify Java so you don't need a map.
    I do find Java and its load of technologies pretty simple. People always feel overwhelmed by all of Java's different aspects but that doesn't mean it's difficult. Don't mistakenly confuse complexity with difficulty. Something complex is not difficult per se. You don't need to master every single different aspect all by yourself. That's why we have *teamwork*, that's why we hire different people to do different things. You sound like many others, like someone forced you to use Java. Here's a solution to your broad problem: don't use Java, use VB instead which is commonly known for being so simple(-istic). I really don't understand why people keep complaining about this "difficulty issue". If you don't like it, don't use it. It's as simple as that. If it's so bad, eventually nobody will end up buying/using it, it will eventually die off and you'll be rid of it (ever seen Eiffel used outside of a lab?). Besides, my background is micro-electrical engineering where a small "map" is worth more than a thousand words... too bad I can't express my point of view with a schema ;)
  46. I love Java, man. I swear. But I also love Bruce Willis' movies.... which does not mean I have a crush on old Ole Bruce.
    The map is annoying. Period.
    But, on the other hand, I can't imagine even trying to THINK about a map explaining the Windows platform...
    It's yeat another thing people will talk about for a few days, and then completely forget. Important things earn eternity. And this map is like a rose... ("The little prince", anyone?)

Regards,
    Martin
  47. Re: Bad marketing[ Go to top ]

I do find Java and its load of technologies pretty simple. People always feel overwhelmed by all of Java's different aspects but that doesn't mean it's difficult.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's difficult to use. It's alright, I guess. But I have been using Java full time since 1996 and at that time you didn't need a map. I just don't see why we need JDO *and* entity beans. And that's just one example.
    Don't mistakenly confuse complexity with difficulty. Something complex is not difficult per se. You don't need to master every single different aspect all by yourself. That's why we have *teamwork*, that's why we hire different people to do different things.
    Teams cost money.
    You sound like many others, like someone forced you to use Java. Here's a solution to your broad problem: don't use Java, use VB instead which is commonly known for being so simple(-istic). I really don't understand why people keep complaining about this "difficulty issue". If you don't like it, don't use it. It's as simple as that. If it's so bad, eventually nobody will end up buying/using it, it will eventually die off and you'll be rid of it (ever seen Eiffel used outside of a lab?).
    That's not how you choose your programming language. The choice of language, platform, tools, whatever, at least for OLTP, is based on staffing considerations. At an even deeper level, it is based on risk. People would be writing everything in Eiffel if everyone knew only Eiffel. That's why Java took off and Smalltalk didn't. Java uses a C-like syntax which meant that C/C++ people quickly became Java people.

So we _are_ forced to used it. However, I didn't mean to say that I don't like it. I do. But they should start thinking about stabilizing the platform more. They should shut down some JSRs or even better turn more implementations into open-source projects.
    Besides, my background is micro-electrical engineering where a small "map" is worth more than a thousand words... too bad I can't express my point of view with a schema ;)
    You could try drawing me an ASCII diagram ..
  48. Does anyone knows how to print the PDF in multiple pages?
  49. The green "View the Map" link on this page needs to simply do what the "Launch Concept Map" link does at http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/javamap/intro.html. Fix it and all the noise below goes away. Looks like they've got a custom popup JavaScript function - can somebody steal it and copy it into this page, then change the "View the Map" link to call it?