Creating Stand-Alone Applications with Velocity

Discussions

News: Creating Stand-Alone Applications with Velocity

1. Creating Stand-Alone Applications with Velocity (6 messages)

TSS has excerpted three chapters from the 'Pro Jakarta Velocity' book, by Rob Harrop. The introductory chapter discusses template engines, their uses and reviews Velocity's feature set. Chapter 2 takes you through Velocity installation, writing templates, and creating some output. Chapter 5 shows you how to build full applications with Velocity, both for the desktop and the Web.

Read Introducing Velocity, Getting Started with Velocity and Creating Stand-Alone Applications with Velocity
  2. Velocity is better than jsp[ Go to top ]

It's simply and availability!
  3. Self promo :)
    Check VeloGUI http://www.pipoware.com/velogui.
    This is a simple Java Web Start application that embeds a beanshell interpreter for building context and a velocity edit windows.
    So you can merge context with velocity template online to see the result without compiling. Usefull for testing ;-)

Franck Arnulfo
  4. A quite usefull application to try Velocity templates !

Thanks Franck!

-Eric
  5. VeloGUI is very cool, and I feature it in the book at some point! It is most useful for prototyping a template quickly without having to write any Java code.

Rob
  6. If you're looking for feedback about these chapters:

Overall, it looks good. I know very little about Velocity but what I've seen here has made me want to learn more.

My one comment would be that in Chapter 5 (Creating Stand-Alone Applications with Velocity) there is too much about setting up the Swing UI. This is a book about Velocity, not Swing, so why do we need to be shown pages of code setting up GridBagConstraints? Maybe you might want to show it once if you really want to convince the reader that this is based in reality rather than just being smoke and mirrors, but I don't need to see every single label and every single text box being constructed. I'll take your word for it that it gets done. If you were to make the code available for download as is common with many books nowadays, then anyone who wanted to follow through the whole thing line by line could get hold of the source code. I just felt as if I was wading through pages of code I wasn't interested in before I got to the real meat of the chapter - how Velocity fits into the picture.
  7. D S,

Thanks for your feedback. The reason I chose to show the Swing code was because I know a lot of people are unfamiliar with Swing and I just wanted to ensure that everyone would get the same out the book. That said I don't want to overshadow the Velocity code with Swing code and I will certainly bear your comments in mind when it comes time to review the work!

Rob