Oracle releases components for JavaServer Faces

Discussions

News: Oracle releases components for JavaServer Faces

1. Oracle releases components for JavaServer Faces (44 messages)

Oracle has announced the early access release of its ADF (Application Development Framework) Faces components, which is an extensive set of JavaServer Faces components, based on their existing ADF UIX component suite. These components work with standard JSF 1.1 implementations.

From the web site:
    Oracle ADF Faces is a rich set of user interface components based on the new JavaServer Faces JSR (JSR-127). Oracle has been actively involved in this JSR since its beginning. The Oracle ADF Faces Components provide various user-interface components with built-in functionality - such as data tables, hierarchical tables, and color and date pickers - that can be customized and re-used in your application.

ADF Faces ensures a consistent look and feel for your application, allowing you to focus more on user interface interaction rather than look and feel compliance. The components support multi-language and translation implementation as well as accessibility features. ADF Faces Components use Partial Page Rendering (PPR) offering superior runtime interactivity. PPR allow the browser to just render a piece of a page instead of the entire page.

The intention with this early access release is to give developers/architects an opportunity to evaluate JSF and Oracle's JSF component offering.
    Links:

List of ADF Faces Components

ADF Faces FAQ
    Download ADF Faces Components Early Access Release

For more information about JSF in general, including other products, check out JSF Central.

Threaded Messages (44)

2. The list of components is realy impresive. If the quality is the same and other vendors follow Oracle and competition raise the bar JSF will realy rock.
    There are some very advanced controls there that I realy miss, like tree table and select one and many tables (in past projects we needed select one and many tables and we developed these for it and in the very recent project we needed tree table but didn't have time to develop one).
    Hope that all controls are 'CSS restyleable'.

If only new version of JSF would provide better JSP integration (JSTL compatibility please)!

MC
  3. If only new version of JSF would provide better JSP integration (JSTL compatibility please)!MC
    what do you need this compatibility for?
  4. If only new version of JSF would provide better JSP integration (JSTL compatibility please)!MC
    what do you need this compatibility for?
    I would like to use the same expresion language in JSF and JSTL as well as the same set of core tags (forEach, if, choose-when-otherwise, out, formating tags etc...) and also to be able to simply output content to page with ${value} (without wondering where my text will appear!) instead of using JSF specific tags.

Simply, the JSF is now well integrated with JSP in current release (1.1). There has been a lot of talk about this problem recently.

MC
  5. forEach support, of a sort[ Go to top ]

ADF Faces certainly doesn't enable JSTL-JSF integration - only work on the JSP, JSF, and JSTL specs together can achieve that (and that work is happening today). But we do actually have an <af:forEach> tag in ADF Faces. The good news is that it does actually work like you'd expect <af:forEach> to work. The bad news is that it only does so with our tags (not that we're evil - it just wasn't technically possible). The good news about the bad news is that we now know how to go about getting <c:forEach> to work with JSF - it's much harder than it sounds - and Oracle can contribute that back into the J2EE spec.

Adam Winer (JSF EG member, ADF Faces architect)
  6. forEach support, of a sort[ Go to top ]

ADF Faces certainly doesn't enable JSTL-JSF integration - only work on the JSP, JSF, and JSTL specs together can achieve that
    I understand that, I don't blame Oracle for <af:forEach>, just tried to point the problem.
    (and that work is happening today).
    That is great news.
    we now know how to go about getting <c:forEach> to work with JSF - it's much harder than it sounds
    Hope that the solution does not harm the performance much.

MC
  7. At long last...[ Go to top ]

...some real collection of JSF components, albeit a bit late. Now the interesting question is: Is the default render kit good enough to support basic accessability requirements, different devices, printing etc. Now that would be nice.
  8. Unfortunately ADF requires Oracle's JDeveloper (IDE) to be really usefull.
  9. Lock-in issues[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately ADF requires Oracle's JDeveloper (IDE) to be really usefull.
    What's the point of going with a standard like JSF when I am still locked-in to the vendor's IDE.
  10. Unfortunately ADF requires Oracle's JDeveloper (IDE) to be really usefull.
    What does it mean? Could you please explain the sentence?
    From my little playing with JSF it looks like they can be used without any IDE support. And any IDE that is aware of TLDs (IDEA for example) greatly helps coding those JSF tags, but it is not required.
    And XDoclet could be employed to write all the plumbing JSF files based on javadoc comments in form bean the same way as Struts config can be written automatically based on form/action tags.
  11. Unfortunately ADF requires Oracle's JDeveloper (IDE) to be really usefull.
    Currently that's true, but Oracle states that they're working with the MyFaces and Java Studio Creator teams to get ADF JSF to work within their tools as well.
  12. The components look nice, but why the vender lockin!

Does anyone know why they did not stick to the spec?
  13. The components look nice, but why the vender lockin! Does anyone know why they did not stick to the spec?
    To flip this on its head, why *would* a vendor stick to a spec? My experience is that for software vendors that are also offering an application server (IBM, Oracle, etc), their software *only* runs on their AS. We have looked at several tools (portal, CMS, SSO, HR, financial, work flow, etc) from these vendors. I always find it funny that they can say with a straight face that their software package adheres to "open standards", but then in the same breath tell me that it will only run on their application server.

Clearly it is in their best interest to tie you into their software, top-to-bottom, and get you into that vicious upgrade cycle that is very difficult to break out of. Just my opinion.

Ryan
  14. We did stick to the spec[ Go to top ]

The components look nice, but why the vender lockin! Does anyone know why they did not stick to the spec?
    As a member of the JSF expert group that designed the specification, I'm puzzled: why do you claim we didn't stick to the spec? Everything in ADF Faces is built on top of the spec, and should be portable across any compliant implementation of JSF.
  15. We did stick to the spec[ Go to top ]

Everything in ADF Faces is built on top of the spec, and should be portable across any compliant implementation of JSF.
    I will just add that although we didn't test in every server out there, we know the components and demos work fine in a variety of servers. We've provided instructions for Tomcat 4.x and 5.x, for instance, although you will need to install the JavaMail libraries there if you want to try the WebMail demo, as Tomcat does not include those.

It's worth reiterating that this is a drop of components, not of the JSF spec itself, so they should be able to run with any compliant JSF implementation.

Please feel free to post feedback, as if there are particular server problems we can try to correct them in an upcoming drop.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Oracle Corp.
  16. The components look nice, but why the vender lockin! Does anyone know why they did not stick to the spec?
    I think you answered your second question (why they did not stick to the spec?)with your first question (why the vender lockin?).
  17. Facts please[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately ADF requires Oracle's JDeveloper (IDE) to be really usefull.
    Currently that's true, but Oracle states that they're working with the MyFaces and Java Studio Creator teams to get ADF JSF to work within their tools as well.
    Hey all. Can we please not post statements that you aren't sure of. These components DO NOT require anything more than the components. They are standard JSF components that work in WSAD, JDeveloper and other IDEs. If your IDE supports standard JSF components, you can use these WIHTOUT LOCK-IN. There is currently an issue with Studio Creator that needs to be worked around and we are working with Sun to address that. You should try them in your favorite JSF tool and let us know how it goes. Especially before you post saying they don't work! :)

It is a shame to see forum topics go off on tangents based off mis-information. This post is about building a community and choice around Faces. Oracle ADF has a lot of components to it. Some of them don't have Oracle dependencies, some do. In places like this where there is a standard, there is usually no dependency. I can appreciate it being confusing to people unfamiliar with it all, but its propably better to ask if you're not sure.

Thanks,

Ted Farrell
    Oracle Corporation
  18. Facts please[ Go to top ]

Oracle ADF has a lot of components to it. Some of them don't have Oracle dependencies, some do.
    The post was clearly referring to ADF and by that I meant ADF as a bigger whole, not just JSF. We have worked with UIX, Oracle’s JSF predecessor with great results. The fact that Oracle is now offering a JSF standard based solution is a great start, but in my opinion is just one piece of the puzzle. You must agree that in order to work with ADF to reach your “productivity with choice” goal at this moment clearly requires JDev. Why not open source ADF and bundle plug-ins for the various IDE’s that are out there?
  19. ... just rename the adf-faces-demo.zip in adf-faces-demo.war and drop it into the autodeploy folder of your domain.
  20. Oracle Usually ships poor Java products (e.g. IMO, Oracle OMO is particularly pooooooor), I hope this is an exception!
  21. "Now you too can develop interfaces with the same crappy look and feel of Oracle's Enterprise Manager! And all from the comfort of your own home!"
  22. "Now you too can develop interfaces with the same crappy look and feel of Oracle's Enterprise Manager! And all from the comfort of your own home!"

I am sure they will let you use your own style sheets.
  23. "Now you too can develop interfaces with the same crappy look and feel of Oracle's Enterprise Manager! And all from the comfort of your own home!"
    That's a fair enough comment. Everyone has their own opinions about UI :)

That being said, the look and feel definition and switching capability we've supported before is still in the product, and we intend to expose it in a future milestone. Limited look and feel switching is in the preview right now, if you consult the documentation.

Before we truly surface that feature, however, we want to make sure that the look and feel architecture is as JSF-centric as we can get it. Our current APIs are too centered around our old UIX framework, but we intend to improve on that.

Also, we've taken care to make sure that our component APIs are supportive of look and feel switching. So you should be able to redefine the UI to something more palatable without rewriting your application.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Oracle Corp.
  24. Kudos to Oracle for actively and informatively participating in this thread. You don't often see this from the mega-vendors, and the participation seems to be intent on giving information rather than propaganda/hype. The technology itself looks reasonably cool as well.
  25. The set of widgets look impressive..

Any idea what license/price we should expect from that?
  26. The set of widgets look impressive..Any idea what license/price we should expect from that?
    Hey Ramy,

We are still in the process of figuring that out. We hope to have that done in the next month or two.

thanks,

Ted Farrell
    Oracle Corporation
  27. Open source?[ Go to top ]

Hey Ramy,We are still in the process of figuring that out. We hope to have that done in the next month or two.thanks,Ted FarrellOracle Corporation
    Some of these components should be open sourced. That would help greatly the JSF community by having a set of solid components. I don't think every vendor should implement a calendar, a color picker and similar basic components. Having them open sourced and possibly hosted at apache would be great.
  28. Open source?[ Go to top ]

Some of these components should be open sourced. That would help greatly the JSF community by having a set of solid components. I don't think every vendor should implement a calendar, a color picker and similar basic components.
    Every vendor doesn't have to implement those controls -- they can just license them from Oracle.

OTOH, there will undoubtably be similar open source libraries of JSF components. You might just have to wait a while for someone to give their work away.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  29. Open source?[ Go to top ]

I dont think anybody wud want to pay for JSF components. very soon, there will be tonnes of open source jsf components.
  30. Do we really want it open source?[ Go to top ]

From cursory reading of the doc, I see it has a lot of nice features:
    - some very feature rich components there
    - data binding
    - nice i18n/lxn support
    - changeable look
    - partial page rendering (any other frameworks do this?)
    - dynamic image generation
    To me, this framework “makes sense” compare to the others. I like its design and foundation on which the components are build. Rather than Oracle open source a few components, isn't it better to have the foundation layer available to all to build new component on? Perhaps an efford to copy Oracle’s design/features and re-implement open source style?

If add auth/permission would be great.

So I guess rather than asking Oracle to open source the code, I rather ask them to open source the design.
  31. Oracle JSF & OraclePortal[ Go to top ]

Hi Ted,

Any plans of integrating the JSF with the Oracle Portal product, that would greatly improve the custom portlet development in the product ?

Luc De pauw
    LCM, Belgium
  32. Oracle JSF & OraclePortal[ Go to top ]

Hi Ted,Any plans of integrating the JSF with the Oracle Portal product, that would greatly improve the custom portlet development in the product ?Luc De pauwLCM, Belgium
    Hey Luc,

Yes. It is our plan to have the capability to build all web UI's with JSF, JSP and/or Struts. This includes Portal & wireless. Stay tuned!

Ted Farrell
    Oracle Corporation
  33. Oracle JSF & OraclePortal[ Go to top ]

It is our plan to have the capability to build all web UI's with JSF, JSP and/or
    > Struts. This includes Portal & wireless.
     How many time does it takes ???
    Victor Alekseev
  34. I am not ready to shift yet for another 3rd party components library yet until it comes part of the JSF standard.
  35. Indeed, kudos to the Oracle team for bringing these components together and participating in the discussion - I think they look promising and I'll be interested in seeing what kind of price is set to them. Please make them affordable to small businesses and consultants!

Sorry if I mispoke about the components <currently> only working in JDeveloper, but I guess I thought this generalization was reasonable considering the relative popularity of MyFaces and Java Studio Creator for JSF work. Thanks for clearing it up.
    I am not ready to shift yet for another 3rd party components library yet until it comes part of the JSF standard.
    Quite a few components missing out of the standard set...
  36. This library seems increadable , many components which a
    developers need during projects.
    kudos with Oracle for this big bounch of components.
    Does these components could be used with IDE(S) page
    designer like Creator or WSAD ?
  37. This library seems increadable , many components which a developers need during projects.kudos with Oracle for this big bounch of components.Does these components could be used with IDE(S) page designer like Creator or WSAD ?
    Sure, I have just tried the demo bundle with WSAD 5.1.2. (If you know more about IBMs tools offering please feel free to pitch in) IBMs WSAD 5.1.2 does not recognize *.jspx as a file extension by default. You will have to add this extension to WSAD preferences in order for the Page Designer to pick it up. To run these demos from WSAD you will have to read the install instruction from Oracle Technology Network, and you will also have to make sure that the jspx extension is recognized by IBMs servlet engine. Potentially, you could rename all *.jspx files to *.jsp.

Jonas
    Oracle Corp.
  38. Hi,

I am trying to use WSAD 5.1.2 with JSF 1.0 with the ADF faces EA 11.I keep getting an error :
     com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener Can't parse configuration file:wsjar:file:/C:/wsadworkspace/Center Web/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/adf-faces-impl-ea11.jar!/META-INF/faces-config.xml

Is this because I have to use JSF 1.1 or something else.I just pulled the faces api,impl,shared and other jars into my lib directory.

I would love to use some of your components without rebuilding them myself.

Thanks,
    Vijay
  39. Hi,I am trying to use WSAD 5.1.2 with JSF 1.0 with the ADF faces EA 11.I keep getting an error :&nbsp;com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener Can't parse configuration file:wsjar:file:/C:/wsadworkspace/Center Web/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/adf-faces-impl-ea11.jar!/META-INF/faces-config.xmlIs this because I have to use JSF 1.1 or something else.I just pulled the faces api,impl,shared and other jars into my lib directory.I would love to use some of your components without rebuilding them myself.Thanks,Vijay

Hi Vijay,

Sorry for the late reply. You need to use JSF v1.1.01 Reference Implementation with our ADF Faces components.

Jonas
    Oracle, JDeveloper team
  40. ADF Licensing[ Go to top ]

Now that I managed to use ADF within Eclipse, I guess it's time to understand what Oracle has in mind regarding licensing and costs for the ADF Faces package. BTW, I'm deploying to a Tomcat 5.x on SuSE EM64T Ent. 9.0.

The components are fantastic!
  41. ADF Licensing[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know of the answer to what Oracles idea on this is and when they expect a release?

Does IBM have a statement about cross licensing since I see no real effort on their part to provide a similar library.
  42. Three Fundamental flaws with Oracle's ADF in JSF world.

1) Oracle's Marketing dept. needs to put a stake in the ground regarding licensing and pricing for the open space use of ADF; e.g., Tomcat. I can't imagine whose timeline these important commercial issues lie; however, these questions have been out for some time and nobody's stepping up to the plate.

2) It's unacceptable to rely on windowed dialogs for modal views. Only at the bottom of a technical overview of the dialog structure does the author concede the important shortcoming. Non-windowed dialogs (i.e., DIVS/IFRAMES) must be available in the current implementation. I commend the author for stating the deficiency. Oracle writes:
    "The current solution is, unfortunately, asking users to disable popup blocking for your site. Long term, we might try detecting support for popups up front, or some other hackery, and in the longer term, we may move to using inline DIVs and IFRAMEs to show dialogs; one nice thing about the dialog framework is that it would hide any such changes from programmers."

3) Unless Oracle expects everyone's web site to brand like theirs, then skinning should not be deferred any longer.

If someone(s) at Oracle were to address these 3 issues, then perhaps the ADF components can cross over into the commercial space. Should this not happen, then I recommend the community look for alternatives to Oracle's ADF. This may in fact turn out to be yet another instance where a business is turning a blind eye to the ingenuity of its engineers.

William Byrne
    Codics Corp.
  43. Nice to have such a library[ Go to top ]

This kind of library was always required for development of User Interface for an application. Usually as a programmer we use or build some custom tags library for this purpose but still there was something missing. Also due to heavily usage of customs tags the page rendring time is a great factor that impacts the performance of the overall application. I think if its functional as the way it looks it will be a very great help for the developer's community.
  44. ADF Faces[ Go to top ]

Good show oracle. Components released from a major vendor is great news for the JSF spec. However maybe you might consider removing the "ADF" when referring to your JSF components, as somehow one may get the impression that these components are somehow tied to(or can only work with) your proprietory ADF/UIX framework, which it is not.
  45. ADF Faces[ Go to top ]

Good show oracle. Components released from a major vendor is great news for the JSF spec. However maybe you might consider removing the "ADF" when referring to your JSF components, as somehow one may get the impression that these components are somehow tied to(or can only work with) your proprietory ADF/UIX framework, which it is not.
    Thanks! Good point and thanks for the feedback.

- Jonas Jacobi
    Oracle Corp.