Google continues to grow top notch Java team with Cedric Beust

Discussions

News: Google continues to grow top notch Java team with Cedric Beust

1. Google is growing a top notch team of Java developers. The latest addition is Cedric Beust, who left BEA to jump over to the world of Google. With all of these acquisitions we should start to see some great things, and Cedric has assured everyone that he will still be a big part of the community. Congrats.

Read Cedric Beust in I quit BEA

Threaded Messages (25)

2. good stuff[ Go to top ]

Woo hoo

Same day I got a gmail acct!

Looks like Google is the new Xerox Parc, hopefully some genuinely new thinking will happen there and IT can progress in a less incremental, more punctuated equilibrium like manner.
  3. good stuff[ Go to top ]

Woo hooSame day I got a gmail acct!Looks like Google is the new Xerox Parc, hopefully some genuinely new thinking will happen there and IT can progress in a less incremental, more punctuated equilibrium like manner.
    Before jumping up and down on such a news, try to ask yourself what was contribution of those "big names" leaving BEA. The answer may surprise you.
  4. Wow BEA seems to having a real hard time hanging on to its big names. I wonder what is going on down there?
  5. common sense[ Go to top ]

"Wow BEA seems to having a real hard time hanging on to its big names. I wonder what is going on down there?"

JBoss = free

Weblogic = tens of thousands $$ per cpu
  6. $$$[ Go to top ]

I think I would do the same .. well if I could :-)
    J2EE is boring.
    Plus, with more than 150 millions hits per day, and predictions
    of annual profits over $280 millions, they can hire the smartest
    people on earth. Stock-wise, Google is the next Microsoft.

Felicitations to Cedric.

Thierry
  7. Sorry for the cross-posting. A related thread compared what is happening at BEA to the Titanic. I posted the following response:

A tech company that consistently makes money should never be compared to the Titanic.

BEA is a large company. Some names well-known to TSS have left, but for every good BEA engineer who has decided to pursue Google millions, there are a dozen more who have been with BEA since the WebLogic days and are still innovating. Cedric would be the first to acknowledge this. I've been in the industry nearly 20 years now, starting in the heady days of Unix at Bell Labs, and BEA's current talent stacks up to any organization I have been with.

Google is in a unique position in the industry right now, and I wish Cedric the best of luck there. But don't think a few good people out of thousands leaving BEA is tantamount to a cruiseliner hitting an iceberg.

Thanks,
    Craig
  8. But don't think a few good people out of thousands leaving BEA is tantamount to a cruiseliner hitting an iceberg. Thanks,Craig
    I dont see how BEA can survive with competition from JBoss and very soon from Geronimo. Just having 1000s of talented people left in BEA is going to do no good and very soon they are bound to leave too.
  9. Félicitations![ Go to top ]

Avant tout, j'aimerais féliciter Cédric! Best wishes and good luck your new job.

I'm not really worried about BEA but I think it's going to be interesting to see what is Google up to. Well, maybe it's right time to invest :-).
  10. I dont see how BEA can survive with competition from JBoss and very soon from Geronimo. Just having 1000s of talented people left in BEA is going to do no good and very soon they are bound to leave too.
    BEA's competition is not JBoss and Geronimo. Its IBM and Oracle/Borland to a lesser extent. If you think JBoxx and apache have a chance in the corporate enterprise market, you are not living in reality. Most big corps are averse to use open-source. And with copyright issues a la Linux, you can rest assured, they are becoming more defensive.
  11. If you think JBoxx and apache have a chance in the corporate enterprise market, you are not living in reality.
    I may not live in reality, but I certainly work there. And both JBoss and Apache have penetration into energy and financial corporations and I work with.
  12. If you think JBoxx and apache have a chance in the corporate enterprise market, you are not living in reality.
    I predict your statement might become one of those famous anecdotes like "radio has no future". The only difference is that the radio comment was made ~before~ the radio had become commonplace.
  13. Most big corps are averse to use open-source.
    With support available from companies like JBoss Consulting Group, Core Developer's Network etc, I would think that any aversion, if at all, has begun to change.
  14. Is trimming the fat...

I don't know if this is the case or not, but many of the guys that are leaving don't seem to be highly thought-of within the org. Is this because they are bailing, or because of their (lack of) contributions?

I do not know...
  15. The obvious perhaps...[ Go to top ]

Just imagine a smart company wanting to hire smart people. Could it be that simple? And ust imagine smart people wanting to do something new, Java-based or not, at a smart company. Ummm.... If the offer came your way, wouldn't you go for it?

As for the ignorant JBoss post, well, that's just plain ignorant. Good grief!
  16. So... what are Google up to? I don't know much about the java community but it seems that they are getting allot of the big names in java so to me it looks like they are planning something. Is it only to do something against the risk of MS longhorn that some people say will change the way we search or is it something totally different. I could imagine some of those people involved in creating a whole new language but on the other hand I don’t see why Google would do that… or is it just that they want to work with skilled people ;)
  17. Lots of big, respected, IT names. A mega-IPO in the near future. What could Google be thinking? What could the IT names be thinking?
  18. Writing the next browser...[ Go to top ]

I just can't see what these - largely product oriented people - can contribute in Googles server environment.

Thinking about what they are up to, the only remotely logical thought I could come up with is that they are trying to build something like a smart component oriented browsing/rich client environment, maybe with a web services backend and some agent technology. They could at least come up with some semantically linked search components, stuff that allows you to navigate through result webs and the like - and each not has a different add banner.

Even though I can't quite understand how the appeal could be large enough. Especially I would assume they'd need to do more or less the same in .NET to go native there or they risk to alienate the customer base.
  19. Best wishes for that new adventure!

take a full-air tank, and let's go diving in that new area ... I am sure you will be as easy as fish in the sea.

and more over ... thanks you for that great EJB container ! ... Tengah ?
    ;-)
  20. Writing the next browser...[ Go to top ]

I just can't see what these - largely product oriented people - can contribute in Googles server environment.

Thinking about what they are up to, the only remotely logical thought I could come up with is that they are trying to build something like a smart component oriented browsing/rich client environment, maybe with a web services backend and some agent technology. They could at least come up with some semantically linked search components, stuff that allows you to navigate through result webs and the like - and each not has a different add banner.

Even though I can't quite understand how the appeal could be large enough. Especially I would assume they'd need to do more or less the same in .NET to go native there or they risk to alienate the customer base.
  21. Writing the next browser...[ Go to top ]

Writing the next browser...

Totally agree with you,

The current generation of web browsers, with severe limitations like inability to hold client state, lack of desktop like widgets like Sortable Tables etc, have outlived their life span.

Recent efforts like JSF,Winforms and all the Macromedia bullshit, are like fitting a V8 engine onto a Volkswagen Golf or a Mini. Being primarily a desktop developer, I cannot help, but laugh when people invent new terms out of the blue like Rich Clients etc.

For Google, it makes sense for them to try and invent a better Inter-Network Browsing Platform. Think of an application that seamlessly integrates gmail, blogger, search, e-commerce into one single user-interface, requiring less roundtrips to the server, capable of handling a virtual wallet, securely sending sensitive data to server. Web Services should also play a major role in such a rich network interface.

Such a client with not only offer a richer set of widgets to the user, but also enrich the overall user experience of web browsing as we know today.

I for one think that the Eclipse RCP is the first step that we have taken towards such a Inter-Network Browsing Platform ;)

Today's punchline: Every visionary was called mad at some point of time.
  22. All the best[ Go to top ]

All the best to Cedric, hope he continue to contribute to the community as he said.
  23. Show me something cool![ Go to top ]

Can't wait to see what Google plans to do with Java! Show me something cool :)

Congratulations!

Tech
    http://eclipsetracker.blogspot.com/
  24. It's entirely possible the reason Google want's people may have nothing to do with their Java skills.
  25. Google is making big-name hires to prop up their stock price. Then those that can sell their shares will. It stinks of AOL/Time Warner.
  26. Google is overpriced. They will crash and burn just like the AOL/TimeWarner combo.