PostgreSQL 8.0 to support Windows natively

Discussions

News: PostgreSQL 8.0 to support Windows natively

1. PostgreSQL 8.0 to support Windows natively (27 messages)

The PostgreSQL 8.0 beta 1 release has shipped, and as part of this release supports native Windows execution (that is, no Cygwin dependencies). This is a huge step for the open-source database, as it will open up PostgreSQL to a realm of .NET developers, as well as make .NET more viable as a target of porting efforts from Unix.

A news article run by C|Net emphasized the intent of bringing PostgreSQL to Windows:
    Simon Riggs, a PostgreSQL developer, said being able to run the database natively on Windows is an important milestone.

"Over the last few years, one of the most common features that people have asked us for is a native Windows port," Riggs said. "We are expecting that within a year, half of our user base will run the database on Windows."
    Read the official 8.0 news release, as well as the C|Net article, PostgreSQL 8.0 will run on Windows.

Threaded Messages (27)

2. This is great news, since PostgreSQL makes a great companion to Java webapps,
    Struts and iBatis.

We have numerous Java webapps with PostgreSQL in production, and have also shipped a web-based search application using Struts, iBatis and PostgreSQL installable from CD in 4000 copies. Not a single support call after shipment.

Vic Cekvenich and I document the approach in the recent book "Struts Best Practices" (forgive the blatant pitch), available in German language. Vic mentioned it at the end of his RiA article. Book owners can download a complete environment and sample project that includes PostgreSQL for development for Windows.

PostgreSQL Developers, keep up the good work!

Wolfgang Gehner
    www.infonoia.com
  3. I've been running the beta for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty happy with it. This inherited Java app I'm maintaining was coded to Oracle; now I've ported it to Postgres, and have both running on my laptop. So now I can work totally self-contained.

The dbms seems to run pretty fast, even on my laptop.

-Larry Edelstein
  4. Nice to see TSS being so timely...[ Go to top ]

since this announcement was made on 2004-08-10.

And what's with all the .NET banter? Having a database available on another platform is hardly a reason to port all your software to that platform. This is just as advantageous to Java, C, [insert your favorite programming language here] as it is to .NET.
  5. I agree[ Go to top ]

The very popular MySQL database is available for a long time in the windows environment. I do not expect .NET developers making a beeline for this.
  6. Great news !! ( Mysql sucks anyway )[ Go to top ]

ITs great news . Not for Ms for the development community. its good to get people hooked onto such great database too. And for some developers on win - its a boon. To be frank Mysql is good andf stable but it has so few features of the real rdbms. no stored procedures, no subquery, joins have a different syntax, no triggers etc. then they have 100 different types of maxdb or innodb or sapdb combination etc. i think mysql has lost its way and is reaching the pinnacle of confusion,. its such a great relief to know postgresql is coing for help......
  7. .NET developers and MySQL ?[ Go to top ]

The very popular MySQL database is available for a long time in the windows environment. I do not expect .NET developers making a beeline for this.
    I always thought .NET developers use Access (because Access is from Microsoft and therefore a superior enterprise product). Anyway, in my experience Postgres is far better than MySQL.
  8. PostgreSQL to a realm of .NET developers, as well as make .NET more viable as a target of porting efforts from Unix.
    Eternal MS dream...
    I just feel that more and more applications have been ported from MS to Unix. And with MacOS-X around I see no bright future for MS....
  9. Here's my recent experience with postgres.
    I volunteeted developing a version of this app http://www.partyforamerica.com whose deployment stack is linux/apache/postgres/struts/hibernate.
    Developemnt stack preferably is eclipse/tomcat/postgres/struts/hibernate.

I had a bear of a time installing the cygwin version of postgres and to get up and running on my Win XP development box.

A natively ported postgres will make it a breeze to setup such development env.
  10. I thought it was straightforward enough, the docs are actually pretty clear, it's just that the cygwin version doesn't perform, but that's ok for development purposes

Anyway this is great news, though I am not sure the dot net developers will go for it, They seem to be "stored procedure happy" and all nearly all examples use sql server
  11. Yep its easy with 7.4.3 onwards that uses cygserver. My experience was with prior versions that used ipc_daemon2 and ran into numerous security issues. You can check the cygwin mailing list to see what I mean.
  12. I have used Postgresql for the last 4 years with no complains at all but now that CA has opensourced Ingres I don't see much future to Postgresql (or MySQL). Ingres has much more features like replication and clustering and much better monitoring and administration tools putting it miles ahead of its opensource "rivals". Why using Postgresl (or MySQL) when Ingres perform as well as the best Oracle database?

It will be hard to admit for people involved in those Open Source project, but is not the first time that it happen a high-quality comercial product is opensourced making alternative "inmature" opensource projects stop development. I can remember FreeQt (that stopped once Trolltech opensourced Qt) and Gnome Office (that stopped when Sun opensourced StarOffice).
  13. And what about Firebird, nobody speaks of it but it's under linux and windows and have all the functionnalities required for enterprise applications.

Btw, anyone can tell me if Cloudscape is a good choice and can compre to mysql and postgresql for database smaller than 1gb ?
  14. And what about Firebird, nobody speaks of it but it's under linux and windows and have all the functionnalities required for enterprise applications.Btw, anyone can tell me if Cloudscape is a good choice and can compre to mysql and postgresql for database smaller than 1gb ?
     I tried time ago Firebird (Interbase) and MaxDB(Firebird) and both happen to have "finnancial/resource" problems. Not too much development support and lack of market (by browsing statistics at Job search engines). I would say they are "stopped" projects. On the opposite Ingres is a central piece of software in CA strategy backing many other of its commercial products and with big and active groups of paid developers. I think that will provide a great confidence to software integrators. I guess some Linux distributor will soon integrate Ingres in a short period of time. Or just imagine what boost will be for Sun to package Solaris 10 + SunOne + Ingres in a "ready to run" High Availability (99,999% Uptime) cluster package.

The worst problem I see for Ingres is that we must be ready for Oracle, IBM and Microsoft starting to spread FUD about it.
  15. I tried time ago Firebird (Interbase) and MaxDB(Firebird) and both happen to have "finnancial/resource" problems. Not too much development support and lack of market (by browsing statistics at Job search engines). I would say they are "stopped" projects.
    Think you're right about Interbase/Firebird (For BES, Borland add JDataSource instead of Interbase), seems to have lost popularity and resources, although its a great "small" database, would be a godd replacement for MySQL databases (never understood why MySQL got so popular, its getting better, but a few years ago it was no DBMS but a simple datastore)...
    But MaxDB has absolutely _nothing_ to do with Firbird (unless there is another MaxDB I don't know of). MaxDB is the former SAPDB and inherits (AFAIK) from Adabas. It's a great "heavy duty" DB (the best OSS DB I know of, not considering Ingres)...
    BTW: I'd be _very_ interested in a comparison/usage report of Ingres and MaxDB, never used Ingres but from what I've heard here it compares to Oracle and DB/2 (which I both like), IMO MaxDB is a bit "below" these, its a bit weak in some areas.

regards,

Messi
  16. (never understood why MySQL got so popular, its getting better, but a few years ago it was no DBMS but a simple datastore)...
    It is very trivial to understand, windows and PHP users with RDBMS ignorance made it popular, toys have more fans than "complex" systems and it will never change, populism is very powerfull.
  17. I tried time ago Firebird (Interbase) and MaxDB(Firebird) and both happen to have "finnancial/resource" problems. Not too much development support and lack of market (by browsing statistics at Job search engines). I would say they are "stopped" projects...
    MaxDB is not Firebird, it's another name for SAP DB, which is something different.

How do you judge development support? The newsgroups and mailing lists of Firebird are very active and responsive. There are current releases. ...

How do you judge lack of market? Maybe it's just easy to install/manage/develop/deploy, so there's no special knowledge required, which is worth to ask for in a job offer. I wouldn't ask for special Firebird knowledge, if I needed someone.

Ingo
  18. MaxDB is not Firebird, it's another name for SAP DB, which is something different.
    Err, sorry it was just a typo error: MaxDB(SAPDB) of course.
    ...How do you judge lack of market? Maybe it's just easy to install/manage/develop/deploy, so there's no special knowledge required, which is worth to ask for in a job offer. I wouldn't ask for special Firebird knowledge, if I needed someone.Ingo
     I think Job search engines are very accurate since they reflect "macroscopic" parameters, attending to many industries with thousands of different needs. Take the example of M$ Access, an easy to install/manage/develop/deploy software for which I wouldn't ask for special knowledge:

Jobserve.com:
      "microsoft access" 886 related vacancies
      "Firebird" 0 related vacancies
      "maxDB"/"sapDB" 0 related vacancies
      "Ingres" 38 related vacancies
  19. I would say they are "stopped" projects. On the opposite Ingres is a central piece of software in CA strategy...
    I wasn't aware of anything deserving the name "strategy" ever emanating from CA ;-)
  20. Firebird[ Go to top ]

I have been using firebird on windows for a while now and have had great experience with it. I have always heard that PostgreSQL and Firebird provide many of the same features minus the fact that postgresql only ran on windows with Cygwin. Now that PostgreSQL runs natively on windows I'm wondering how the two stack up to eachother? I guess I'm mostly wondering if I can get some feedback from someone who has used both, to determine if I should consider switching.

Thanks,
  21. Firebird[ Go to top ]

I have been using firebird on windows for a while now and have had great experience with it. I have always heard that PostgreSQL and Firebird provide many of the same features minus the fact that postgresql only ran on windows with Cygwin. Now that PostgreSQL runs natively on windows I'm wondering how the two stack up to eachother? I guess I'm mostly wondering if I can get some feedback from someone who has used both, to determine if I should consider switching.Thanks,
    I have been running both on Linux and Windows. Both are good stable DBMS and both have hugely more features than MySQL (MySQL is currently adding many important features - still buggy and immature though). However, I always preferred postgres because it works better for applications that do a lot of text processing and generally has more features (I believe it must be the most feature rich DBMS after Oracle). The postgres optimizer has become much better for nested subqueries than it used to be in pre 7.3 (or 7.2?) versions. But _the_ most important difference between postgres and Firebird is the documentation. Postgres docs are great and are apparently considered a priority. Firebird lacks a comprehensive up-to-date documentation set.
  22. Hi Opensource is a threat(Now it may be found useful)
    to all the people.Esp Developer and software companies.
    It just comforts developers them initailly later it will take off their own job.
    Like cloning and Robotics it is unavoidable.

But IBM is using this as a Game Card.They have made eclipse which has taken out the business of intellij and JBuilder and other small vendors.(Most of them now closed their shop).Why cant them initiate a free open source MQ ,application server,or database(not a java based cloudscape).They know these will affect their business.They r playing with other companies
    which have smaller stuffs to survive.

They r the real killers than MS .They swipe all small companies.Weblogic is one .Its suffering a lot to keep its up .IBM gives u a bundled software websphere,mq,portal + Hardware .So obviously they capture market easily.

Now open source is touching the DB side.Oracle is the one now going to suffer as their major business is DB.Now most of DB's with less transaction will be migrated (may in next 2 yrs (may be after postgres 10)).

Bcz of opensource the developers in the product development companies wil loose their job bcoz of low profit margin.So innovation reduces.Really. Opensource kills developers most.Only advantage of opensource is companies s/w investment gets lesser.Developers number will be lesser.The pays will get lesser.We dont get any free medicine free food or free services then why s/w has to be free?

One nore thing the opensource is only good for developing nations like INDIA,SKOREA.The developers in Developed nations who worked most for the opensource stuff has to go these
    growing countries and work.Not the h/w guys bcoz IBM,HP DELL ate there.
  23. OpenSource is not a threat.
    Open source allows my clients to reduce some costs like database or operating system. Thanks to the huge $$$ saved, they can buy us mpre developpment and this is job and salary.

MS makes 80% of benefits on Office.. those 80 % don't create jobs, they just make peoples more rich. when a company uses Open office, they keep that money for them to invest or they spend it on IT services. And IT services creates more job than selling licences !

Think a bit, it will create much more job if companies buy services than licences.

And for ibm, let them time, you cannot ask elephants to stop having licence revenues in one day... like for Eclipse ( who was previous a closed source product ), Websphere or DB2 may become one day open source, but for the moment, they make money out of it.

I hope what i said will make u think. For the week end, i offer u a little exercice, take how much money microsoft gain every year, divide it by 3 000 $
    this will tell you how much peoples MS could employ and then, search how much they really employ.
    Here, in my company, as we only sell services.. the money we have is used to pay salary.
  24. Now open source is touching the DB side.
    LOL.
    Are you by chance aware of the current date? (hint, hint: it's 28 Aug 2004). Postgres has been open source since 1996.
    Oracle is the one now going to suffer as their major business is DB.
    it's naive to think that Oracle cares about Postgres (or mySQL, or whatever)
    Bcz of opensource the developers in the product development companies wil loose their job bcoz of low profit margin.So innovation reduces.
    but maybe it's the other way around? Maybe Open Source increases innovation and may open new jobs because the entry (licencing) barrier for many projects is reduced?
    One nore thing the opensource is only good for developing nations like INDIA,SKOREA.The developers in Developed nations who worked most for the opensource stuff has to go thesegrowing countries and work.
    that's sooo pathetic. It's ok to be stupid and ignorant but there's no need to be offensive as well
  25. One nore thing the opensource is only good for developing nations like INDIA,SKOREA.The developers in Developed nations who worked most for the opensource stuff has to go thesegrowing countries and work.
    that's sooo pathetic.

It's ok to be stupid and ignorant but there's no need to be offensive as well

Its fine All the idiots think there comment is powerful.

Hi
      Just think why offshoring has increased
      Why BPO adherence is increasing in INDIA
     Iam an indian I know what our companies are planning and doing.
     Generally we hire a designer and Sr.developers from countries US/UK
     Now recent months hiring Sr. developres from onsite has reduced a bit bcoz we
    find most of the code free in opensource stuff.Just a Developer having
    minimal knowledge found to be ok.Now the devlopers do a kind of assembling job
    Getting mostlty 30% from the free jars available there.This 30% of opensource is there might have been bought from a UK /US based s/w company or might have been given to some Sr.Developers over there.

Now u guys are opening all the stuffs to get the us trained.If we can get the keypoints then what is the need of that 40* salary for a work that can be done here in INDIA itself.

U know right Bangalore is becoming world largest the hub for IT.
    This has more IT employees than Silicon valley .So every 2 developers here can replace a sr. developer from US/UK.So what happens to this jobless guys?

For reference think about electronic goods manufacturing speed in China and
    Nuclear tech absorbtion in KOREA,Pak,INDIA,IRAN
    U guys designed that we are going to make most of it

Please give a deep thinking before commenting on anything
  26. Irrelevance to the topic[ Go to top ]

to sezhian gk:

Firstly, this "open-source v.s closed-source" debate is really irrelevant to the topic.

Secondly, any software company / developer has to think about what they do when they develop either way. People are not all that ignorant about the reality of open-source. So if they choose to do it, there will be some compelling reasons. Those reasons may not be relevant to you, but it's not really up to us to judge.

Thirdly, it cannot be simplified as "open-source implies job lose." open-source is a very vague term - even Microsoft offers the source code of NT, XP, and possibly Server 2003 to various independant parties for development purpose. It is a philosophy for the distribution of code, not necessary the license model. There are certainly a lot of issues involved, such as patent and copyright. I don't see how this directly cause job lose. As for outsourcing, it is good that software industry isn't the first one that encounters it, so experience can be learnt from other industries which have been there before.

Finally, I agree that people should give a deep thought before they comment.
  27. I cant believe you my friend!

Quote: 'One nore thing the opensource is only good for developing nations like INDIA,SKOREA.The developers in Developed nations who worked most for the opensource stuff has to go these growing countries and work.'

Where did this come from? Please limit your comments to issues you know about.

Cheers,
    Uday
  28. Beta build is amazingly stable[ Go to top ]

We're preparing to roll out a new release of our monitoring app with PostgreSQL embedded. The results so far on Windows have been amazing. Simple tweaks to tune the db based on the generally accepted best practices, and we get very stable very fast concurrency in our highly transactional app.

As a side note, we made the switch to postgres from a commercial embedded Java database. I've used InstantDB (now dead), Cloudscape (now free!), and Pointbase, and they all have a long way to go in the ways of concurrency and throughput. Two things which were critical in our case. Postgres has rocked on Unix for years now, and Windows support will expose other people to a truly great open source database application.