Best architecture/technology for this application

Discussions

General J2EE: Best architecture/technology for this application

1. Best architecture/technology for this application (3 messages)

Hi, I am developing an application to manage all members on a games clan. It involves communication between members, and announcements about wars, and a lot of info more.
    The idea is every member have a SWT (or swing) desktop THIN application (updated via JNLP), and all data and business logic are managed by a remote server. The question is what method of communication is best suited for this ??
    I am testing :
    RMI (but its more difficult to develop)
    XML-RPC (its another option)
    JMS(i dont know much more about this)
    Web Service ( Its ideal, but i am not sure if this is addecuate)
    I need the application connects to the server via proxy or firewall without problems.
    I am very confused , any help would be apreciated.

Thanks
  2. Hi, I am developing an application to manage all members on a games clan. It involves communication between members, and announcements about wars, and a lot of info more. The idea is every member have a SWT (or swing) desktop THIN application (updated via JNLP), and all data and business logic are managed by a remote server. The question is what method of communication is best suited for this ??I am testing :

RMI (but its more difficult to develop)
      RMI is not that difficult to develop, easier that any of the options below.
    XML-RPC (its another option)
      May be overkill for this simple app.
      JMS(i dont know much more about this)
      Not ment for this type of project. (azynchronous)
    Web Service ( Its ideal, but i am not sure if this is addecuate)
       Its more than "addecuate".

Personally I would just use exising solutions and put up a web site. There are a log of good php/mysql message boards and community packages...
  3. Personally, I like the idea of a thin desktop app delivered over Java Web Start for this application.

I don't think you need XML-RPC (or SOAP/web services). The primary benefit of those protocols is the ability for multiple types of clients to communicate with the same back-end service. You don't need that, so you can use a ligther, more efficient protocol.

I'd probably do this in Swing using RMI. That way you don't need to package any additional jars into your client, since Swing and RMI are both part of the standard J2SE libraries. You maximize the "thinness" of your application. RMI will automatically tunnel over HTTP, and Sun has information on how to use RMI through firewalls.
  4. more options[ Go to top ]

I receive new notices on other forums ...
    Basically people proposes JXTA and i am investigating this point ...
    I dont think RMI would be a good approach , because the application will grow
    on clients and to manage objects remotely would be a network and resources
    overkill app.

Thus I think JXTA is the best option and XML-RPC is the simplest method ..
    I am looking ar Jabber protocol to use all comunication based on XML messages.

Anyone knows more about JXTA on this aplicatios ???

thanks