Discussions

General J2EE: Using AOP to debug applications

1. Using AOP to debug applications (1 messages)

I am going to be tasked soon with debugging an e-commerce Web site (Struts/Velocity on Tomcat) with some major bugs. The client is complaining that the shopping cart drops or empties its contents during the checkout process. This seems to be an intermittent problem. I haven't been able to easily recreate the problem so far (the obvious first step in debugging this problem), and I want to get this project done and off my plate VERY quickly.

I was thinking of integrating Spring into the site, and writing some specialized advice that might help me to identify exactly when the shopping cart does this errant behavior and help describe the context of what's going on in and around those occurences. for example, just as a first thought, maybe a modified Method Tracer type concern that would detect when the shopping cart suddenly becomes empty, and dumps a bunch of info, like session contents, recently called methods, other threads currently running thru the site, etc, etc.. (I would probably use JMeter to script the site, simulating multiple users shopping).

Has anyone else considered using AOP for debugging like this? The idea just popped into my head five minutes ago, and I'm hoping someone has some insight or experience.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Using AOP to debug applications[ Go to top ]

Hi I have been using advices for debugging, basically it logs what methods
    are being called etc. The nice thing about this approach is that my code
    is a bit cleaner (no more logger.log("Invoking XXXX"); )

BUT my application was built from the start using Spring, I am not sure
    how easy it will be for you to introduce Spring into an existing application.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Hani
    I am going to be tasked soon with debugging an e-commerce Web site (Struts/Velocity on Tomcat) with some major bugs. The client is complaining that the shopping cart drops or empties its contents during the checkout process. This seems to be an intermittent problem. I haven't been able to easily recreate the problem so far (the obvious first step in debugging this problem), and I want to get this project done and off my plate VERY quickly.I was thinking of integrating Spring into the site, and writing some specialized advice that might help me to identify exactly when the shopping cart does this errant behavior and help describe the context of what's going on in and around those occurences. for example, just as a first thought, maybe a modified Method Tracer type concern that would detect when the shopping cart suddenly becomes empty, and dumps a bunch of info, like session contents, recently called methods, other threads currently running thru the site, etc, etc.. (I would probably use JMeter to script the site, simulating multiple users shopping).Has anyone else considered using AOP for debugging like this? The idea just popped into my head five minutes ago, and I'm hoping someone has some insight or experience.Thanks in advance.