Discussions

News: Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java

1. Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java (13 messages)

TheServerSide chats with Ted Neward, author of "Effective Enterprise Java", about what's in the book and why building effective enterprise Java applications is so hard.

View Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java

Threaded Messages (13)

2. The transcript needs work[ Go to top ]

Lots of it.
  3. File Not Foud[ Go to top ]

The requested file was not found.

Please use the menus, and search functionality to try to find your information
  4. In the meantime see Editorial Reviews on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321130006/qid=1094632384/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-7961175-8571150?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"Editorial Reviews
    Synopsis
    If you want to build better Java enterprise applications and to work more efficiently, look no further. Inside, you will find an accessible guide to the nuances of Java2 Enterprise Enterprise (J2EE) development.~Use in-process or local storage to avoid the network Set lower isolation levels for better transactional throughput Use Web services for open integration Consider your lookup carefully Pre-generate content to minimize processing Utilize role-based authorization Be robust in the face of failure Employ independent JREs for side-by-side versioning ~Ted Neward provides you with 75 easily digestible tips that will help you master J2EE development on a systemic and architectural level. His panoramic look at the good, the bad, and the ugly aspects of J2EE development will address your most pressing concerns. Learn how to design your enterprise systems so they adapt to future demands. Improve the efficiency of your code without compromising its correctness. Discover how to implement sophisticated functionality that is not directly supported by the language or platform. After reading Effective Enterprise Java, you will know how to design and implement better, more scalable enterpris"
  5. Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java[ Go to top ]

Sorry all of you who don't use Windows - "best viewed in Windows Media Player 9 series" - or IE. Of reading never hurt anyone. :)
  6. Good interview. I just have to comment on .NET delegates though.

To my surprise Ted mentioned how much he loves delegates in .NET because they make certain things easier to use. While that may be true for some simplistic scenarios, in most cases after using more than one delegate in the class you will find that your class has a bunch of methods (1 per delegate) scattered in different places, while they really should belong to a delegate and be scoped within the delegate declaration.

Java anonymous classes are much better in this regard because they allow scoping of several methods within one logical block. Even anonymous delegates (which .NET plans to have) would not help much because they would still be limited to one method per delegate.

Regards,
    --Dmitriy
  7. Right tool for the job[ Go to top ]

In such cases, one can always revert back to using an interface-based eventing model.

More often than not, the problem with such grouping is that different clients will be interested in different subsets. Creating one-size-fits-all group as Java does, forces Adapter classes to stub out unwanted events.
  8. Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java[ Go to top ]

Great interview ... refreshing vocabulary ... but at 31:09 he definitely burped!

;)
  9. Ted Neward on: Effective Enterprise Java[ Go to top ]

Great interview ... refreshing vocabulary ... but at 31:09 he definitely burped!;)
    Guilty as charged--too much Diet Coke. :-)
  10. What is Effective Enterprise Java[ Go to top ]

Hmm, 'Effective Enterprise Java' ...

Folks, what do you think - is it equal to just 'Performant Java'?
    As to me - it's not. But 'Performant, Cheap and Fast-to-rollout' will definitely do.

P.S.
     It's not about the book, I haven't seen even contents yet - this is nowhere available unfortunately, at least I failed to find it.

--
    Mike Skorik
    http://www.100kSolutions.com
  11. Review?[ Go to top ]

Hi

Is there a review of his book somewhere?

Thanks

Eric
  12. Great book[ Go to top ]

I've not seen the final product, but I've seen some chapters, and been to most of Ted's talks on the book (there are 4 at nofluffjuststuff.com). It's a fantastic book. Ted has a gift for effective communication. This book will be a timeless classic. Ted's got the rare mix of communication skill (see the interview, and his courses at developMentor), low-level programming skill (see his early papers on Java class loaders and other stuff), and high-level architecture skill (see this book and his previous ones). Ted's problem in the past is that he's so darned slow that technology passes his books by before he can release...but this subject matter is timeless.

I'd highly recommend it.

(And that wasn't a burp. It was the crowd roaring Ted...Ted...Ted...)
  13. Look'n good...[ Go to top ]

UPS dropped off my copy on Tuesday and I've been jumping around in it for a couple days. Most of the items are like those in "The Unix Philosophy" by Mike Gancarz - not stuff you'd go right out and implement out of the book, but more like supporting approaches. In other words, you get things like "Item 13: Build in administrative support" but he doesn't tell you what tools to use or how to implement them. I'll admit that I was surprised not to see mention of IoC or recent O/R advances since I believe both of these will continue to have a resounding influence on EJB usage.

That said, I really like what I see so far, but at 450 pages, it's gonna take a while to get through it all... ;-)

Good job Ted!
  14. Wow what a great Interview. I got to say it's hard to find an honest guy these days who is not selling the technology or hidden agenda, and Ted is one of them; and he is a very good orator too. I am glad that he also mentioned the childish attitiude of programmers to follow technologies like religion, and start a holly war on it. I believe we all should grow up now..