Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Urgent Help needed to choose the right framework!

1. Urgent Help needed to choose the right framework! (4 messages)

Hi,
    My client wants a technical alternative ... he has evaluated struts to some extent..... and right now they have some properitery framework in place and it's in J2EE 1.1 and now we are giving 4 alternatives....

1. Pure struts Framework
    2. Struts as controller and JSTL/HTML on front end.
    3. Struts - faces at front end and Struts as controller
    4. Pure JSF Framework

Now we are evaluating the front end based on pros and cons Struts taglib v/s JSTL/HTML taglib v/s JSF taglib.

Also the compatibility issues involved and risk involved in migrating from 1.1 to any higher version. And migration should happen in minimum effort and timelines..

that's where i needed some suggestions as to what will be the limitaions/positives in using these(one of them) frameworks... and given a choice as this what will u choose as soln out of these 4....... and why...

thanx in advance!
    Phani

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Choose the right framework[ Go to top ]

I think the 4 alternatives are pretty "low level" (I should forget the first one). I greatly suggest you to have a look at a more "high level" framework, such as Struts-Layout for example (http://struts.application-servers.com/), which increase reusability and lowers complexity (you can write your JSP without a single html tag).
  3. Choose the right framework[ Go to top ]

Thankx for the timely reply...
  4. Choosing the right Web Framework[ Go to top ]

In answer to your question:

1. Pure struts Framework
    2. Struts as controller and JSTL/HTML on front end.
    3. Struts - faces at front end and Struts as controller
    4. Pure JSF Framework

Personally, I prefer option 2 presently with a leaning towards JSF depending on how it continues to evolve.

I prefer JSTL for my front end mainly for it's flexibility and EL support. I also like the overall Struts MVC design approach.

However as JSF becomes more mainstream, when Tools support is improved, and the Java community starts providing rich libraries of components, I assume(hope) this will be the obvious choice.

-Chris
  5. Choosing the right Web Framework[ Go to top ]

why not use oracle ADF which is integreated with JDeveloper.
    You can have prodoctivity with choice. You can choose the technologies as it suits you.
    View could be JClient/Swing, JSF, Uix, Jsp...
    controller - struts
    model layer - framework does the hardwork for you.
    Business services - Oracle ADF business components, ejb, webservices...