JDOM 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: JDOM 1.0 Released

1. JDOM 1.0 Released (19 messages)

JDOM was publicly announced by Jason Hunter and Brett McLaughlin on April 26th 2000. Now, we get to see the 1.0 release. Congratulations to the JDOM team for sticking it out and getting to a production release!

JDOM Home page

Download JDOM 1.0

Threaded Messages (19)

2. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Stupid question, but why does TSS announce JDOM r1.0 and not DOM4J r1.5 on the 3rd September ?
  3. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Stupid question, but why does TSS announce JDOM r1.0 and not DOM4J r1.5 on the 3rd September ?
    Because JDOM is much better then DOM4J, you know ;)
    Just kidding, of course :)

MC
  4. Which is better?[ Go to top ]

Because JDOM is much better then DOM4J, you know ;)Just kidding, of course :)MC
    I know there's no concrete answer to this question but has anyone done a comparison? Which one is more popular? I actually thought dom4j was the most widely used.
  5. Depends on what you want[ Go to top ]

Because JDOM is much better then DOM4J, you know ;)Just kidding, of course :)MC
    I know there's no concrete answer to this question but has anyone done a comparison? Which one is more popular? I actually thought dom4j was the most widely used.
    As usual it depends. Personally I find JDOM a little bit easier to use, but I've read that DOM4J is faster. At least one of the companies I have worked for came to that conclusion when they did a comparison about a year ago and selected DOM4J.
  6. Depends on what you want[ Go to top ]

DOM4J has better design, better XPath integration too.

MC
  7. Which is better?[ Go to top ]

After using DOM for a year and then jdom for 2 years, I'm now an electric xml supporter after using it for 2 years so far. Fast and even simpler than jdom. No proof, just from my own experience.

Regardless, congratulations to the JDOM team. I was surprised myself that it reached 1.0 after being in beta for sooooo long. Congrates!
  8. Comparing DOM, JDOM, Dom4J, Electric XML & XML Pull Parser 2:

http://www.sosnoski.com/opensrc/xmlbench/models.html
  9. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

maybe no one noticed - submitted the news?
  10. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I think it is significant as JDOM has been in beta for as long as I have been developing in Java. I thought it would never goto 1.0. I am personally shocked to see it, like the passing of an era.

On a side note, it shows some of the differences in release philosohpy between OSS and closed source. "Beta" has a whole different meaning to OSS. Close source would have this package at 2.5 by now. ;)
  11. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Because it has been a "beta" version for so, so, so many years (even if fully functional) that nobody was expected it to reach the 1.0 version !!!

Good job... and thank's for this so great project that make my life so much easier everyday (especialy compare to DOM).

I prefer JDom over DOM4J because you don't have to manipulate Interfaces that you always need to cast... I find the code you need to type cleaner and easier to understand, closer to the JDK Collection paradigm.
  12. JDOM, DOM4J, XOM[ Go to top ]

http://www.jdom.org/

http://www.dom4j.org/

http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/
  13. Dom4J is Easy[ Go to top ]

I don't quite understand the "ease-of-use" concerns of many people in the Dom4J-vs-JDOM argument.

The VERY FIRST Java project I ever worked on was a Java XML project. I was a Java newbie then, and there were no other Java programmers in my company so I got no help. I did a search on various DOM implementations and picked Dom4J because I read that it performed better than JDOM. In a couple of weeks, I got my module out (an XSLT code-generator). If a newbie like I was then can work with Dom4J (and this was an early release of Dom4J), then it must be an easy-to-use API.

Many people cite Dom4J's inclination for interfaces over concrete classes, but isn't this the best practice in writing OO code - to refer to interfaces and not to concrete classes?

Still, congrats to the JDOM people for their 1.0 release! :D Don't mind me, I'm just a noisy dom4j proponent. :D

Calen
  14. And pigs take to the air![ Go to top ]

This is quite simply amazing, how many years is it now? I honestly thought they'd given up with JDOM since nothing had happened for ages, we're talking 6 plus years here!!! and now this. It's on a par with Java going open source, Microsoft adopting UNIX or Sun getting their marketing right.

-John-
  15. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

As JDom is JSR 102, does someone know if Sun wants to integrate it in a future JDK ? If yes, that could be a major advantage for JDom over Dom4J. But JDom is so late now that I doubt it will be integrated. In fact I like both APIs, depending on my needs. And that would be nice if (at least) one of them could be in a JDK.
    On 2001-02-21 Sun Microsystems, Inc. voted Yes with the following comment:
    In general we tend to prefer to avoid adding new APIs
    to the Java platform which replicate the functionality
    of existing APIs.

However JDOM does appear to be significantly easier
    to use than the earlier APIs, so we believe it will
    be a useful addition to the platform.
  16. JDOM 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I have used JDOM forever. Very intuitive. The whole 1.0 'release' can give people peace of mind and I guess that is good. As far as this interface craziness goes, I'm waiting for a day when java.lang.String will become an interface so I can have a factory and load the correct implementation of String for my purposes.
  17. JDOM == Good XML OO[ Go to top ]

I have'nt used DOM4J so I can't comment on that.
    However IMHO, JDOM allows me to manipulate an XML document
    in an OO manner that is far better than the joke called SAX and or DOM parsers out there. Over the top for the team at JDOM :)

Congrats.
  18. JDOM <-> SAX ?[ Go to top ]

the joke called SAX
    If I'm not mistaken, SAX will be faster than JDOM if it comes down to reading XML files, while any DOM parser would be faster then SAX in creating them.

Both are good, both are different.
  19. JDOM It's quick to learn and apply[ Go to top ]

I have found JDOM have
    1)Developer friendly API (easy to remember in comparison to DOM API)
    2)Uses Java.util classes to traverse/retrieve collection of nodes,elements
    3)Less number of code to write a parser in comparison to DOM/SAX

It's excellent that Sun is making it part of Java API.

Long way to go !!
  20. JDOM is good and performs well too[ Go to top ]

Congratulations to Jason and Brett for getting JDOM to 1.0. Hopefully Jeff Sutor and the rest of the JAX team will figure out how to get JDOM into JDK 1.6, and used by the other components of the Java Web Services Developer Pack.

I've been using JDOM in TestMaker for the past 2 years. We've run many SOAP scalability tests using JDOM and I have found it to be a solid implementation that performs well and offers good scalability.

-Frank Cohen
    http://www.pushtotest.com
    TestMaker, free open-source scalability test tool