Howdy All,

When people write about J2EE/EJBs being good for systems/applications requiring "distributed transactions" what do they usually mean? Are they referring just to "distributed database transactions" ie transactions across more than one database, or something more?

I remember when reading (a number of year back) about CORBA how it was to be the technology to allow business to really distribute their business information processing and data. For example, the marketing department could have business objects and a database for customers, the product development department could have business objects and a database for products, and the maintenance department could have business objects and a database for maintenance they do. Any business application could then be written using any or all of the resources, with little duplication of logic or data.

Is this what EJBs are about? Is this a common way to use EJBs (in the enterprise space), i.e. business objects that live on different servers and are maintained and persisted to different databases? Can people point me toward case studies of these sort of systems?

Thanks in advance for any comments, information or pointers.

Cheers,
Ashley Aitken
mrhatken at mac dot com