Discussions

News: JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released

1. JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released (40 messages)

We are pleased to announce that JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 has just been released.

New features:

• IoC-based microkernel and pluggable architecture
    • Integrate Jetty 4.2.22
    • Integrate Mr.Persister as DAO solution
    • JavaMail service support
    • EJB 2.1 timer service support
    • Build-in JPetstore as demo program
    Download JFox http://sourceforge.net/projects/jfox/
    Online JPetstore Demo http://www.jfox.cn/jpetstore

Threaded Messages (40)

2. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

What a waste of effort and time. There are already few good open source j2ee application servers available. They should have joined them and made some available contribution, rather then reinventing the wheel.
  3. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

Why do you call this a waste of time? This seems to be a good and valuable Chinese OS effort. If it's easier for Chinese developers to to cooperate in mandarin, I understand why they have their separate project.

Good luck,
    sv
  4. each to their own....[ Go to top ]

Making a comment about re-inventing the wheel is a little short-sighted.

If it was not for a second and a third team developing these things there would be no 'choice' which is what this effort gives us ;)
  5. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

Gratuitous "re-inventing the wheel" comments are getting on my nerves. If you do not have detailed knowledge of the project, please refrain from making such accusations. As far I as know, there are not so many open-source J2EE app servers to choose from; at least, none that could pretend to be excellent enough to act has the "ultimate wheel" that needs no improvement.

Second of all, could you contribute to JBoss or Jonas just like that? They have organizations behind them, and these organizations might not welcome you. JFox developers have control over the direction in which they want to lead their project, and if I was a JFox contributor, I might not have the same luxury and impact at JBoss or Jonas...

IMHO, app servers are becoming a commodity and that's good; gradually, BEA and IBM will have to adjust their license fees, or at least feel constantly pressured to come up with cutting-edge products. Such is are the dynamics of competing in an open world. Good for us. And too bad for you if you don't get it.

YD

http://www.sapia-os.org
  6. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

What a waste of effort and time. There are already few good open source j2ee application servers available. They should have joined them and made some available contribution, rather then reinventing the wheel.
    You must be one of three to say an OS initiative is a waste:

1.) you're brain washed
    2.) you're brain damaged
    3.) you're short minded

And remember those guys in China have the potential to write a program of 1bil lines of code even if each writes a single one :-))
  7. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Keep on, JFox members.
  8. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

What is the additional things you have in the JFOx , which you dont get from the JBoss or Spring(Application Framework) .I have just seen the listing of the projects they are planning , seems things are same . Are not they reinventing the same stuff , I think so ? It may be early to say , let me spend more time on understanding what it provides additional what we dont have in plenty .
    Regards
    Vicky
  9. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

let me spend more time on understanding what it provides additional what we dont have in plenty
    okay ... i'll give you another 48 hours! :-)
  10. waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

let me spend more time on understanding what it provides additional what we dont have in plenty
    okay ... i'll give you another 48 hours! :-)
    If you are aware of it why dont you jot it here .Already I am spending the weekend with Spring AOP stuff , honestly I wont be able to make within 48 hours . If you jot a points which are not present with JBoss /Spring , I will then look at the detials at JFox.

Regards
    Vicky
  11. Do not waste your time!![ Go to top ]

Why do you call this a waste of time?
    Do not make the wheel!!!
  12. Do not waste your time!![ Go to top ]

Why do you call this a waste of time?Do not make the wheel!!!
    I dont call this waste of time , but definetly reinventing wheel if it provides the identical features .
    I would not use it unless it gives me some additional features which I am not able to get from the already existent open-source stack.One has to make the appearance in the industry at the right time , which was done by the Jboss group when it comes to open sources , the Tomcat did it also .
    Anyway good luck to the JFox team .

Regards
    Vicky
  13. JFox[ Go to top ]

Good Luck !
  14. No wheels are identical[ Go to top ]

The thing is that free software/open source is modeled as life. There are little experiments that take off there and there. Not all of them will succeed. But competition is what makes the progresses.

Not all experiments will be driven the same way. And of course not two wheels will be identical.

So don't despise it. Competition is good. I don't think we would be here today if all human were identical.
  15. re waste of effort and time[ Go to top ]

I think it is too little we chinese contribute to the opensource,so jfox is a good start.
  16. RE[ Go to top ]

Well, J2EE is still on the road , We would like to contribute our effort for the spec implementation, as part of global open source community,
    We like to communincate and share experience with all of open source developers around world, Thanks for all of your support!
  17. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Great work,keep going.
  18. I support[ Go to top ]

Keep going, JFox
  19. JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released[ Go to top ]

Congraulations,you JFox guys.
  20. JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released[ Go to top ]

Congrats !!
  21. JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released[ Go to top ]

congratulate!! Peter, Great work
  22. Congratulation! Drive the fox car![ Go to top ]

waste of time??? it is bullshit!!!
    Microsoft produces the Windows, and let us give up Linux or Unix? It is what you say 'reinventing the wheel'? I said you has a funny brain and funny logic thinking.
    What is open-source? What is the soul of open-source? JFox is the contribution from Chinese, they are respectful. Just drive the fox car, forget about what the funny guy said.
  23. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

waste of time??? it is bullshit!!!Microsoft produces the Windows, and let us give up Linux or Unix? It is what you say 'reinventing the wheel'? I said you has a funny brain and funny logic thinking.What is open-source? What is the soul of open-source? JFox is the contribution from Chinese, they are respectful. Just drive the fox car, forget about what the funny guy said.
    It definitely looks like wheel reinvention. JFox team, please use my template on the very first page of your site. Unless you provide explanation I ( and some other guys) will see your efforts as ‘wasted’:
    1. I(we) had a need to do: <Two phrases to describe>
    2. I(we) have tried the following frameworks: <insert names> before starting to develop my own
    3. They are supposed to address my needs but I was not happy with them because: <reasons why those frameworks are not satisfactory>
    4. I(we) decided not to contribute to any of the existing open source frameworks because: <describe why>

http://kgionline.com/annoying/openSrc.jsp
  24. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

So what? If you don't like it - don't. If I'm a developer and want to evolve by making my own mistake (by for instance creating my own framework from scratch), what's it to you if I create something that's "already been done"? The _only_ thing it will leave you with is more options - which you don't have to explore if you don't want to.

If you feel that JFox have wasted their time, fine - but to be honest I couldn't care less. Go contribute to whatever project you think is not re-inventing the wheel and feel good about yourself instead of complaining about other people's work.
  25. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

So what? If you don't like it - don't. If I'm a developer and want to evolve by making my own mistake (by for instance creating my own framework from scratch), what's it to you if I create something that's "already been done"?
    I feel pity. Trying to continue your line of reasoning I hear:
    - Surgeons: do not study mistakes of the past learn on your own;
    - Builders and architect: do not study math and past experience, learn as you build things which occasionally crumble;…..

Please do evolve and learn that is great and respectable goal! Just declare in the project description: I(we) do it as a learning exercise. It is simple as that.
    The _only_ thing it will leave you with is more options - which you don't have to explore if you don't want to.
    If you feel that JFox have wasted their time, fine - but to be honest I couldn't care less.

Not JFox in particular, but many projects wasted MY time because I looked at them and tried to use just to discover later lack of sound ideas, bugs, inconveniences, and that the project is abandoned. So the pain of converting to something else.
    Go contribute to whatever project you think is not re-inventing the wheel and feel good about yourself instead of complaining about other people's work.
    I certainly do. I just do not get your attitude: what is wrong with helping people to make judgment about a project? Folks, please reveal things, which differentiate your project from similar ones, on very first page. I do not want to miss a fresh idea, which might be buried among trivial code exercises.

It hurts when you admit (even for yourself) that you do not do anything new and reinvent a wheel (I went through it many times), but it is VERY helpful exercise.
  26. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

I feel pity. Trying to continue your line of reasoning I hear: - Surgeons: do not study mistakes of the past learn on your own;- Builders and architect: do not study math and past experience, learn as you build things which occasionally crumble;…..
    You hear what you want to hear, I'm not really sure where I mentioned that you _should_ re-invent the wheel? I just said that perhaps some people want to, as a learning experience - whilst still trying to produce something useful.
    I just do not get your attitude: what is wrong with helping people to make judgment about a project?
    You're not making judgement on the project, you're making judgement on how they present it. Perhaps you should try to describe what you don't like about it (functional wise) instead of just claiming that they're re-inventing the wheel and therefore it's bad? From what you're saying you would choose a product from what they put as a reason for creating it? I would rather look at the features and try it if it sounds interesting.
  27. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

You're not making judgement on the project, you're making judgement on how they present it.
    That is exactly what I said: It definitely _looks_ like wheel reinvention.
    I said that because there is no proper explanation of project distinctions from similar ones.
    Perhaps you should try to describe what you don't like about it (functional wise) instead of just claiming that they're re-inventing the wheel and therefore it's bad?
    Did I say I do not like the project?
    From what you're saying you would choose a product from what they put as a reason for creating it?

Yes. It is in the list of my criterias.
    I would rather look at the features and try it if it sounds interesting.
    That is the whole point: overall it looks like yet another container with JMC, Message Beans etc. Why should others /than author(s)/ and I be interested in this particular container implementation? Give me reasons, please.
  28. Does it matter[ Go to top ]

Why are people complaining about the existance of this or any other project? That seems to be the main purpose of postings on TheServerSide.

Mr. Ignatyev, it really doesn't matter if you choose to use a project or not. Why do you get to be the judge of whether a project exists or doesn't exist? As far as we can see, you haven't lifted a finger to help them in their project. Why should you get any input into it?

If they can create a working server that meets their needs, more power to them. I think it's great that they can work on this and get it done. I probably won't ever use their product, but I'm not about to tell them that their project is bad. It obviously meets a need for them and they should be congratulated for this milestone in their project.
  29. Does it matter[ Go to top ]

Mr. Ignatyev, it really doesn't matter if you choose to use a project or not.
    are you sure? :)
    Why do you get to be the judge of whether a project exists or doesn't exist?
    Can you point me where I judged if the project should exist or not?
    As far as we can see, you haven't lifted a finger to help them in their project. Why should you get any input into it?

Nice attitude!
    Well, I consider my suggestion explaining why they started creating JFox, as input. Believe it or not, but I am honestly interested in motives for creating yet another container. I could be wrong in labeling the project as "wheel reinvention". Where are arguments to the contrary?
    If they can create a working server that meets their needs, more power to them. I think it's great that they can work on this and get it done. I probably won't ever use their product, but I'm not about to tell them that their project is bad.
    Where I said that their project is bad?
    It obviously meets a need for them and they should be congratulated for this milestone in their project.
    Sorry, it is not obvious for me. Let me ask you this: suppose that you are chief developer and just discovered that your subordinate has reached a milestone in writing of a new logging framework.
    Will you congratulate him/her?
    What will be your reaction? What kind of questions you will ask?
  30. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Unless you provide explanation I ( and some other guys) will see your efforts as ‘wasted’
    My bad, this really sends out signals that you like the project. I do aplogise.

If this turns out to be "yet another container with JMC, Message Beans etc", tell me then why that is bad? I think competition is good. If JBoss and JOnAS gets better because there is an alternative out there - great.
  31. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Unless you provide explanation I ( and some other guys) will see your efforts as ‘wasted’
    My bad, this really sends out signals that you like the project. I do aplogise.If this turns out to be "yet another container with JMC, Message Beans etc", tell me then why that is bad? I think competition is good. If JBoss and JOnAS gets better because there is an alternative out there - great.
    >>If this turns out to be "yet another container with JMC, Message Beans etc", tell me then why that is bad?

Why everybody screams ‘b-a-a-a-d”? Is it a sign that on subconscious level people know that ‘wheel reinvention” is pointless?
    But really it is not what I am saying. “Wheel reinvention” might be good – there are many companies that produce auto tires, so what.

Consider this: I have already invested my time into mastering of certain tools and frameworks. Now I am the comfort zone and consider my tools to be ‘good enough’. Of course there are few annoyances here and there but overall it is ‘good enough’.

Now I see some announcement of a new tool that competes with one in my toolbag. As ‘pragmatic programmer’ (http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/index.html great book btw) I am interested in improving my toolset and sharpening my skills and I would like to evaluate the new offering.
    - I have limited time to evaluate, so the request for providing hints about what is really differentiates this product for similar ones;
    - There is nothing wrong with implementing the same API again, you might have easies configuration, smaller implementation, quicker development loop ( autodeploy vc 14 mouseclicks), less issues with classloaders, tons of things. All of them far from being apparent from declaration like: we implemented XXX standard; - just emphasize those things.

Murphy law: Every problem has at least one absolutely obvious but wrong solution.

Snobbish part:
    I used to be young and enthusiastic, but now I am very skeptical: many projects pop up just because somebody pursuing that ‘obvious’ solution without true understanding of the problem area. Well I am nice enough to admit that new and better solution is possible :) but do not really believe that “this is IT”.
    - Those Who Do Not Learn From Past Mistakes Are Doomed To Repeat Them;
    I look references and comparison to other similar products and implementations as a proof of intelligence, their lack indicates ignorance (or some hidden agenda, which is a red flag too).

PS: IMO - any reasons for starting “yet another project” are fine as long as they explained: language barriers, uncooperativeness of a team in another project, dislike of coding standards, procedures, architecture, dependencies, whatever! - simply make them clear an there sure will be followers. Of course there will be shouts about validity of provided reasons: that is a whole different matter.
    I simply want to know reasons that will help me (and others) enormously to make (personal) judgment about a project and will help project developers to find true followers.

Ideal project introduction IMO is here: http://supervision.tigris.org/
    See ‘Motivation’ and ‘Reinventing the wheel?’ parts.
  32. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Look. I don't want another flamewar on this site. I may be a little late with my comments also. But acording to your pattern and what you are saying, Geronimo shouldn't never be started, they all should work on JBOSS or JONAS.
    Hivemind should never appear since Spring was here before. Spring should never be here since Pico was already here. And countless other examples.

The thing is: good things come only from people believing in something. They believe that they can do better and if they do better here we go. That's evolution. So if they think they can do better what is to you Konstantin ? Why is that an wasted effort ? I think that having 10 solutions to one problem (like you describe on your site, that's kinda funny :-) ) sounds a little bit of comunism :-). I want 109.32 solutions to the problem and the smartest one allways will get tot the surface. No need to look up for it. Hey, don't abandon looking up for it though, it will help YOUR OWN EVOLUTION. So I do not agree with you. It is not a waste what these people are doing.
  33. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Congratulations!
    Going on
  34. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

But acording to your pattern and what you are saying, Geronimo shouldn't never be started, they all should work on JBOSS or JONAS.Hivemind should never appear since Spring was here before.
    Wrong interpretation of my words :( .
    Let me try again: I am looking for comparison like followings before I decide if a project is wasted efforts or not.
    Howard Lewis Ship gives complete explanation how Hivemind is different from Spring
    http://theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=28937#139298
    http://howardlewisship.com/blog/2004/06/hivemind-vs-spring-philosophy.html

As Hivemind uses different philosophy (!!! hur-r-r-rah!!!!) it is NOT wasted effort at all, and those comparisons allow people making their own choice, choose what works best for them, what resonates with their philosophy.

Since JFox guys do not provide anything of this kind I cannot reliably mark JFox as 'bad', 'wasted', 'good' etc.
    But yes, I tend to approach every project that does not clearly differentiate itself from similar products as ‘wasted’ efforts, since there are many things needs to be addressed.
  35. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Spring should never be here since Pico was already here.
    Actually Spring is several months older than PicoContainer, and the Interface21 framework released with Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development, which introduced Spring's core ideas, is another 5 or so months older than the Spring open source project itself. We just didn't announce the Spring project until last year's ServerSide Symposium, when the object source project had been in vigorous development for 5 or 6 months.

Having said that, I think competition and innovation is good. Even projects that don't themselves go on to be widely used can pioneer and popularize good ideas. The idea that should only be one of anything is pretty silly.

Rgds
    Rod
  36. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

The idea that should only be one of anything is pretty silly. RgdsRod
    Rod, who and where expressed the idea? Please relax, nobody here attacks Spring.
  37. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Konstantin
    The idea that should only be one of anything is pretty silly. RgdsRod
    Rod, who and where expressed the idea? Please relax, nobody here attacks Spring.
    I thought it was pretty obvious that I meant that the attacks on JFox earlier in this thread were silly, and wasn't referring to Spring in that comment :-)

Rgds
    Rod
  38. wasted efforts ?[ Go to top ]

Take it easy Mr. Ignatyev, I know we all generate waste sometime - like my reply to your posts or your reply to others posts - but you're luck enough to get attention from the father of Spring framework to give you a preach ... just kidding I'm generating waste again :-)

David
  39. wasted efforts[ Go to top ]

Spring should never be here since Pico was already here.
    Actually Spring is several months older than PicoContainer, and the Interface21 framework released with Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development, which introduced Spring's core ideas, is another 5 or so months older than the Spring open source project itself. We just didn't announce the Spring project until last year's ServerSide Symposium, when the object source project had been in vigorous development for 5 or 6 months.Having said that, I think competition and innovation is good. Even projects that don't themselves go on to be widely used can pioneer and popularize good ideas. The idea that should only be one of anything is pretty silly. RgdsRod
    Hrrm. Ok. Than switch Pico with Spring in that statement :-)). It should become "Pico should never be here since Spring was already here." :-) Anyways my point is that innovation can come only if people do something. I could even say that innovation is most of the time the result of a series of mistakes, yours or others. I tend to agree with Konstantin, though, that you should consider the already existing solutions to a problem before solving it yourself, but with all this hype about OS app server etc. I find it hard to believe that the Jfox guys didn't consider contributing to an existing one instead of starting a new one.
  40. Apologies[ Go to top ]

Hi everybody
    I apologize for my remarks and I take it back. I never wanted to create uproar on forum.
    What I meant was if people could unit on open source then these project will be much more successful and powerful to compete with big guys.
    It was not meant to offend anybody I have great respect for all those people who devote time and effort for these projects.

Keep up the good work.

Prasoon
  41. JFox Application Server 2.0 M1 Released[ Go to top ]

I haven't looked at it, but one thing I am sure of is that it doesn't entirely re-invent the same wheel. I'm willing to bet the configuration and deployment is different than any other app server. ;)