Discussions

News: Sun announces the General Availability of J2SE 5.0

1. Sun announces the General Availability of J2SE 5.0 (47 messages)

J2SE 5.0, one of the most ambitious Java revisions to date, has finally been released. J2SE 5.0 involved nearly 160 expert members designing over 100 features, covered by the work of 15 component Java Specification Requests. Congratulations to all involved in a great Java release!

TheServerSide was able to talk to Blake Connell, Group Product Marketing Manager about the release:

Sun Interview
    Hi Blake, Why should the enterprise guys be excited about this release?

Well, I think there is something for everyone with this latest release.

From a developer's perspective this is the first release of Java, since 1.0, where we updated the language itself.
    From an IT perspective, the new monitoring and management support is fantastic.
    From a users perspective, the default Java look and feel has changed for the first time, and we have accelerated hardware support.

How are the new language features going to change our world?

The bottom line is that they will reduce the amount of boiler-plate text in your source code.

Less code == More readable code

What are some small features, that maybe don't get much press, that you think are cool

• Support for AMD 64 chips
    • OpenGL / Java2D / hardware acceleration
    • JMX / Monitoring support
    • The rewrite of Java sound
    What do you think the curve will be with respect to seeing Java 5 in the wild?

The Java 5 betas and release candidate have been very stable, so people have gotten a jump on qualifying the release. We haven't had major issue after major issue.

Why has it been so smooth?

• Get better at doing this over time
    • Nightly continuous integration and other best practices
    • The JCP peer review system
    What would you say to someone that wants to wait for J2SE 5.0.1

They are welcome to do so. Although I think this release is production ready, we are putting updates out on a quarterly basis. This means that even if you want to wait, it isn't for that long.

What do you say to the people that are still running applications on JDK 1.3.x

I understand why this happens. However, I think that with the changes that we have in JDK 5, people will be ready to go through the process of migration.
    Press Release
    J2SE 5.0 Now Available Worldwide; Java Development Community Praises the Shipment of J2SE 5.0

SANTA CLARA, Calif., ­ September 30, 2004 ­ Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SUNW), the creator and leading advocate of Java(tm) technology, today released the Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE tm) 5.0, also known as Project Tiger. As one of the largest scale projects developed through the Java Community Process (sm) (JCP sm), J2SE 5.0 involved nearly 160 expert members designing over 100 features that drive extensive developer benefits including ease of use, overall performance and scalability, system monitoring and management, and rich client desktop development. Easier to use and with record breaking performance and quality, J2SE 5.0 is being heralded as the most significant upgrade to the Java platform and programming language in nearly a decade.

"Tiger was a conscientious undertaking that prioritized developer productivity and quality by relying on the deep values of the Java language," said Graham Hamilton, vice president, Sun Fellow and lead architect for the J2SE 5.0 release. "Working in concert with the contributing specifications and the broad expert group, the Java community has delivered the most significant update to the Java platform that will set the stage for the next wave of network computing innovation."

Java Evolves to Meet Emerging Needs of Programmers and Applications

J2SE 5.0 is derived from the work of 15 component Java Specification Requests (JSRs) encompassing advanced capabilities for the language and platform. Industry leaders participating in the J2SE 5.0 expert group include Apache Software Foundation, Apple Computer, Inc., BEA Systems, Borland Software Corporation, Cisco Systems, Fujitsu Limited, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Macromedia, Inc., Nokia Corporation, Oracle, SAP AG, SAS Institute Inc., SavaJe Technologies and Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Highlights of the new Java platform include:

Ease of development: Java programmers can be more efficient and productive with new Java language features that enable faster and more secure coding. Generics, enumerated types, metadata and autoboxing of primitive types enable easier and faster coding.

Monitoring and management: A key focus for the new platform release, applications created with J2SE 5.0 can be deployed into existing SNMP-based enterprise management systems. The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) software is able to be monitored and managed for reliability, availability and serviceability. Additionally, Java Management Extensions (JMX) delivers out-of-the-box deployment to enterprise management systems.

Rich client desktop: A new, more modern default Java application look and feel provides an up-to-date GUI for Java applications. J2SE 5.0 has full internationalization support and also features support for hardware acceleration via OpenGL for Linux and Solaris systems.

Greater Performance and scalability: The new release includes performance improvements such as faster startup time, a smaller memory footprint, and JVM auto-tuning to drive greater overall application and development performance on J2SE 5.0 over previous versions.

"In accord with the increasingly open JCP policies and guidelines, several major components of Project Tiger were conceived and led by members of the Java community," said Doug Lea, professor at State University of New York, Oswego. "All 15 component JSRs had plenty of community involvement, leading to more advice, feedback, review, testing, and mid-course improvements than ever before in a major Java platform release. As specification lead for the Concurrency Utilities specification, it's great to see the results of all these component JSRs efficiently coordinated and available in J2SE."

"Above all else, this is a developer-focused release," said Joshua Bloch, Specification lead for new language features, (JSR-201), Metadata (JSR-175) and author of “Effective Java” (Addison Wesley, 2001). "When the Java platform was introduced by James Gosling and his team in 1995, it took off like a rocket because it struck a chord with developers -- and J2SE 5.0 is building on that legacy. I've had the good fortune to use the new features for the last year and a half in the course of their development. I find them a joy to use and I have every confidence that other developers will too."

The Java technology platform leadership and impact on innovation in the network computing industry is undisputed. The J2SE platform is the foundation for delivering Java on the desktop, and throughout the enterprise. Over the course of both beta phases for the release, over a half million downloads of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and Software Development Kit (SDK) have signaled tremendous interest in the Java platform among developers.

The Java technology's installed base continues to dominate in the enteprise and on the desktop. Nine out of the 10 leading PC manufacturers cumulatively representing over 60 percent of the PC market are now factory-installing the JRE on their systems. Manufacturers include Acer, Apple, Dell, Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Fujitsu-Siemens, Samsung, Tsinghua-tongfang and Toshiba.

The J2SE 5.0 platform and JRE is now available for download at:
    http://www.java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp.

Threaded Messages (47)

2. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

When will Eclipse support it ?
  3. It already does.[ Go to top ]

Several of the 1.5 features are already supported in the M1 release of Eclipse 3.0

http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-3.1M1-200408122000/Eclipse-3.1-M1-News.html

It's a long way from being "full" support, but it's getting there awfully quickly.
  4. (Correction)[ Go to top ]

1. It's 3.1M1, and
    2. Actually there's a 3.1M2 out with some other improvements...
  5. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

There are some other IDE's out there with full support for Java 5 already. To name a few:

- IntelliJ IDEA 4.5.1 (http://www.jetbrains.com)
    - Omnicore CodeGuide 7.0 (http://www.omnicore.com)
    - NetBeans 4.0 Beta 2 (http://www.netbeans.org)
  6. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

I have been using Eclipse 3.1 for about 3 months.

.V
  7. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Use a real IDE like IntelliJ, it's supported it for months, you don't even need a plug-in.

-John-
  8. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Use a real IDE like IntelliJ, it's supported it for months, you don't even need a plug-in.-John-
    Agreed ;-)

Eclipse sucks.
  9. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Eclipse 3.1 M2 not support enum type
  10. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Eclipse 3.1 M2 not support enum type
    Maybe I did not set things right, but I also found 3.1M2 also had problems with annotations and boxing/unboxing, and so it was, in practice, unusable for serious Tiger apps.
  11. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Use a real IDE like IntelliJ, it's supported it for months, you don't even need a plug-in.-John-
    Agreed ;-)Eclipse sucks.
    IDEA costs too much for too little benefit over and above Eclipse.

Besides, the XP team at my work uses it, and I hate XP.
  12. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Look at Codeguide, only $299, and has supported JDK 1.5 features for
    months. Also comes with a cool debugger, but no GUI builder (but who needs
    that)
  13. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Grow up both of you.

Your comments are neither helpful nor informative.

For the cost, Eclipse is a real IDE and doesn't suck. Thousands of developers all over the world are using it in production-grade projects so your observations illustrate nothing other than your immaturity and naivete.

Of course, commercial products like IDEA are exceptional tools but you really need to know where you'r egetting the additional value that you're paying approximately $500 per seat. With any reasonably-sized development shop, that adds up to significant cost, very quickly.

At every level of technology now, managers and developers have commercial and open source options available to them (IIS vs Apache, WebLogic/Websphere vs JBoss, Oracle/DB2/MS vs. mySQL/Postgres. Development tools and frameworks are no different and involve the same cost/productivity/risk tradeoff analysis.

As a professional consultant, I have been required to use both IDEs at multiple client sites and I have found both able to provide effective developer productivity support. A bad craftsman blames his tools.

Most importantly, this thread is about J2SE 5 and its support in tools. If you have constructive, fact-based observations to contribute, then do so. Otherwise keep your childish comments to yourselves.
  14. A different perspective[ Go to top ]

Adrian >> "Of course, commercial products like IDEA are exceptional tools but you really need to know where you'r egetting the additional value that you're paying approximately $500 per seat. With any reasonably-sized development shop, that adds up to significant cost, very quickly."

"Professional" consultants in the city (London) cost betwen 750 and 2000 Sterling a day from a respectable consultancy outfit. That equates to between 1.5 and 4 IntelliJ licenses. Hire a consultant for a month and the cost can be approx. 40,000 BP. Now divide that by a discounted IntelliJ cost of 400 per license. That is 100 hundred licenses, 100 developers, thats a sizeable development organization at a single site for a company whose core business might not be software product development.

Lets say the average salary of these 100 developers is 52,000 a year, 1,000 a week each, 200 a day each (no holidays). 200 * 100 = 20,000. 2 days of improved productive over the year pays for the product.

Lets say a developer works 200 days a year within the IDE. Then 2 days of productivity gain equates to 1% feature efficiency. Is Intellij 1% better than Eclipse. Hmmmm. I think so.

Of course I have played a little bit with the figures but I hope you get the IDEA.

Regards,

William Louth (An IntelliJ User)
    CTO, JInspired

"J2EE tuning, tracing and testing with Insight"
    http://www.jinspired.com
  15. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Grow up both of you. Your comments are neither helpful nor informative.
    True, "Use a real IDE like IntelliJ" wasn't very constructive, "it's supported [1.5] for months, you don't even need a plug-in." was constructive and helpful for those that didn't know.
    you really need to know where you'r egetting the additional value that you're paying approximately $500 per seat.
    I agree, ROI is about half a day then, the IntelliJ IDEA developer is working on 1.5 code within minutes of installing while the Eclipse developer is still downloading and installing plug-ins. Even if you ignore this startup time IDEA pays back $500 in a few days at most. Of course if you're in a poorer country where $500 is a months wages then the arguement probably doesn't stand but $500 in most other countries is a fraction of a day's wages.
    As a professional consultant, I have been required to use both IDEs at multiple client sites and I have found both able to provide effective developer productivity support.
    When compared to Notepad 8 out of 10 "professional consultants" said Eclipse was able to provide effective developer productivity support. The other 2 were windows programmers and thought Notepad was just fine. :-)
    Most importantly, this thread is about J2SE 5 and its support in tools. If you have constructive, fact-based observations to contribute, then do so. Otherwise keep your childish comments to yourselves.
    No Adrian, this is a forum for people to provide general comments on, I've read your posting a few times now, please tell me what your addition was to this thread, constructive? no, helpful? no, informative? Well we now know you're a professional consultant who's obviously not making enough to pay $500 for a decent productivity tool and probably do your UML modelling on paper to save money.

Me, childish? Yes and proud of it!

-John "Damn these crap tools!" Davies-
  16. Why is IntelliJ so much better?[ Go to top ]

I have heard this a couple of times that "Eclipse Sucks!", "IntelliJ is so much better -- you can be more productive!"

Why? What makes it so much better? Can someone give me some technical bullet points as to why it is so much better?

Or is this just another Mac vs. PC thing?
  17. Why is IntelliJ so much better?[ Go to top ]

Its the 101 little things. Polish. Attention to detail. Intuitive.

The major bullet-point for me at the moment (being fixed in 3.1) is the compiler (for the AST). Eclipse flat-out refuses to refactor (or do intelligent completions) if your code doesnt compile... bah!

The gap between them is small compared to the gap between them and other IDE's (esp vs.net...)

What was the topic of this thread again...?
    ...thanks John! :-)

-Nick
  18. Why is IntelliJ so much better?[ Go to top ]

Hi Andrew,
    <br/>
    I've found quite a few places where IDEA does rock the world of eclipse.
    Generally IDEA seems to "flow" better when writing code. You rarely need
    to back to a line to do quickfix, coz IDEA pop-ups the proposals right away.
    In Eclipse you have to go back to the line in order to quick-fix (imports).
    When writing a line of code and using a Class which has not yet been imported
    you can't auto-complete the methods of the class. Here IDEA pop-ups and asks
    you to press ctrl+enter, choose the right class, and vupti you can auto-complete.
    In Eclipse I found myself many times having to write the line, without
    calling a method on the class (if I just cant remember the right signature of the method). Cursoring down and letting eclipse scan the source and put a qfix proposal at the line, cursoring up again, pressing ctrl+1 and so on and on.
    <br/>
    Im not saying eclipse is bad, but IDEA just gives me a better flow!! (for lack of better word).
  19. Hi Lars,

as a kind remark. You don't have to do these cursoring things. You can call all qfix in a row with ctrl+, and Eclipse jumps to the next qfix thing automatically.
    I think these whole "IDEA is better" crap is a last desperate cry of the IDEA adherents who becoming aware that IDEA is fashioned out by Eclipse. The same thing happened with JBuilder in older days.

Just my 2 cents.
    MS
  20. Why iIntelliJ not so much better![ Go to top ]

I think these whole "IDEA is better" crap is a last desperate cry of the IDEA adherents who becoming aware that IDEA is fashioned out by Eclipse. The same thing happened with JBuilder in older days.
    Did you really use it?? Having used both IDEs, my "2c" are: Eclipse is a very good IDE, but IDEA still rules ...

Regards,
    Stefan
  21. Why iIntelliJ is so much better![ Go to top ]

Hi Lars,as a kind remark. You don't have to do these cursoring things. You can call all qfix in a row with ctrl+, and Eclipse jumps to the next qfix thing automatically. I think these whole "IDEA is better" crap is a last desperate cry of the IDEA adherents who becoming aware that IDEA is fashioned out by Eclipse. The same thing happened with JBuilder in older days.Just my 2 cents.MS
    Actaully if you have followed the progress of IDEA and Eclipse you will see that many of the features eclipse now sports were originally implemented in IDEA (like quick fix). Two features I really like in IDEA $ (I am sure they will pop un in a later version of eclipse) are:
    • 1. Right in the editor gutters you can see the places where you have made changes to files with respect to the CVS repository. Its really hard to describe but its done very nicely. One click in the gutter and you can see the original piece of code for that section.
    • 2. Classes and methods which have been subclasses and overridden respectively are shown with Icons in the editor. These icons can be clicked to open a popup letting you select the target class to go to.
    But asides from these two the IDEA's refactoring and search includes JSP files as well which is so very important. I have been burnt by WSAD 5.1 refactoring (its based on eclipse) where I had to go manually and change all the JSP files and wasted so much time (not ot mention the frustration).
  22. Hm... I propose Lars to read Eclipse docs concerning auto-competition. I don't think differences between Eclipse and IDEA is so significant. Not to tell about community :) it's obvilious for everybody that Eclipse has bigger community.
    Concerning JDK 5.0 features, I think in year or two nobody will run this in production, for example in our company (huge international telecom company) we still using 1.3.1.
  23. Hm... I propose Lars to read Eclipse docs concerning auto-competition. I don't think differences between Eclipse and IDEA is so significant. Not to tell about community :) it's obvilious for everybody that Eclipse has bigger community.Concerning JDK 5.0 features, I think in year or two nobody will run this in production, for example in our company (huge international telecom company) we still using 1.3.1.
    Well - just did a quick look-thru the eclipse documentation and didn't find any good information regarding my previously posted problems. Maybe I just looked in the wrong place, dunno!. As for the community - well, a huge community does make a better product (necessarily). I have numorous other places where IDEA does beat eclipse, but still I use both products (and I like eclipse too).
    But this is kinda religious, so lets leave it at that! have a good day!!!
  24. Arggg crap - meant to say a huge community DOESN'T make a better product... Damn these fingers, damn them!!!

(if you don't believe me - just look at BEA WL :-) uhhh started another flame there, huh guys! )
  25. Maybe I am missing something...[ Go to top ]

When writing a line of code and using a Class which has not yet been importedyou can't auto-complete the methods of the class. Here IDEA pop-ups and asksyou to press ctrl+enter, choose the right class, and vupti you can auto-complete.In Eclipse I found myself many times having to write the line, withoutcalling a method on the class (if I just cant remember the right signature of the method). Cursoring down and letting eclipse scan the source and put a qfix proposal at the line, cursoring up again, pressing ctrl+1 and so on and on.<br/>Im not saying eclipse is bad, but IDEA just gives me a better flow!! (for lack of better word).
    Huh? Eclipse does the exact same thing!!!

When I am writing a line of code in Eclipse and I start to use class that has not been imported yet, before I hit the last letter of the class I hit Ctrl-Space. That pops up the auto-complete for that class, and once selected, it auto-adds the import. So I can immediatly had the '.' and then get to all the methods.
  26. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

I never tried to make a case that Eclipse was as good as IDEA. In fact, anyone who uses both tools can clearly see the superiority of IntelliJ's product My point was that Eclipse does not suck and it's not crap. To assert this is infantile.

J2SE 5 support alone is not a compelling issue in general, even though it is the focus of this discussion. Most shops (especially those with commercially-vended products) are still either 1.3 or 1.4-based and for most of them, Eclipse provides more than adequate support, especially since the plugin framework allows you to find many solutions for desired functionality that you might otherwise have to pay a commercial license fee for. Some that spring to mind are source formatters, JBoss's integration tools, JSP editors, etc etc. The open architecture allows best-of-breed to prevail.

As any manager will tell you, you don't need the best at a premium, you need adequacy at lowest possible cost. Sure productivity is a factor but it's not everything. (If you need to be done by Friday, then finishing on Wednesday is not necessarily better than finishing on Thursday.)
    please tell me what your addition was to this thread
     Well - for one it drove some more factual and less emotional discussion
    The other 2 were windows programmers and thought Notepad was just fine
    And the point of this is ... ?
    We now know you're a professional consultant who's obviously not making enough to pay $500 for a decent productivity tool and probably do your UML modelling on paper to save money.
    Cheap shot but no. Actually my comments stemmed from my work as both a salaried CTO and a consultant to some of the largest financial institutions in the world, both in Europe and the United States.
    Me, childish? Yes and proud of it!
    On this we agree ...
  27. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Adrian,
       There's obviously little point in carrying this thread on as is, email is always a great way for two people who've never met and who's paths have never crossed to hate each other. I only took exception because my one line comment resulted in a 20 ish line response, let's call it "one all".

Being constructive...

Personally I still use Emacs most of the time, I do try to use IntelliJ when I can but the ability to open a file, find a line, modify it and save it in under 5 seconds beats all of the IDEs around these days, true once you get the thing loaded it's great but for a quick change they're a real pain.

I have to use Eclipse from time to time for various reasons, it is a great IDE, some of the plugins are amazing but as others have said, it's the finer points that make IntelliJ stand out, the attention to detail. I've met a lot of people who will tolorate Eclipse after IntelliJ but virtually no one who actually prefers it. I've met a lot of people who prefer IntelliJ over Eclipse once they've tried it. I know that's subjective but like you my experience covers a large number of programmers, most relevent here is my part time job as an instructor for Learning Tree, I get to introduce experienced programmers to both Eclipse and IntelliJ, very few leave wanting to stick to Eclipse having tried them both. Learning Tree courses will all use Java 1.5 from the end of this year by the way.

As for the comment about programmers using Notepad, I though being a Brit you might have seen the humour, I did put a smiley after it if you look carefully. It's from the out "8 out of 10 cat owners" advert.

-John-
  28. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Grow up both of you.Your comments are neither helpful nor informative. For the cost, Eclipse is a real IDE and doesn't suck. Thousands of developers all over the world are using it in production-grade projects so your observations illustrate nothing other than your immaturity and naivete.Of course, commercial products like IDEA are exceptional tools but you really need to know where you'r egetting the additional value that you're paying approximately $500 per seat. With any reasonably-sized development shop, that adds up to significant cost, very quickly.At every level of technology now, managers and developers have commercial and open source options available to them (IIS vs Apache, WebLogic/Websphere vs JBoss, Oracle/DB2/MS vs. mySQL/Postgres. Development tools and frameworks are no different and involve the same cost/productivity/risk tradeoff analysis.As a professional consultant, I have been required to use both IDEs at multiple client sites and I have found both able to provide effective developer productivity support. A bad craftsman blames his tools.Most importantly, this thread is about J2SE 5 and its support in tools. If you have constructive, fact-based observations to contribute, then do so. Otherwise keep your childish comments to yourselves.
    +1. We need you on this site. Post more often :-)
  29. Behavior[ Go to top ]

Grow up both of you.Your comments are neither helpful nor informative. For the cost, Eclipse is a real IDE and doesn't suck. Thousands of developers all over the world are using it in production-grade projects so your observations illustrate nothing other than your immaturity and naivete.Of course, commercial products like IDEA are exceptional tools but you really need to know where you'r egetting the additional value that you're paying approximately $500 per seat. With any reasonably-sized development shop, that adds up to significant cost, very quickly.At every level of technology now, managers and developers have commercial and open source options available to them (IIS vs Apache, WebLogic/Websphere vs JBoss, Oracle/DB2/MS vs. mySQL/Postgres. Development tools and frameworks are no different and involve the same cost/productivity/risk tradeoff analysis.As a professional consultant, I have been required to use both IDEs at multiple client sites and I have found both able to provide effective developer productivity support. A bad craftsman blames his tools.Most importantly, this thread is about J2SE 5 and its support in tools. If you have constructive, fact-based observations to contribute, then do so. Otherwise keep your childish comments to yourselves.
    +1. We need you on this site. Post more often :-)
    +1 as well! Unpragmatic zealotry always keeps people away from efficiency.
  30. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

<blockquoteUse a real IDE like IntelliJ, it's supported it for months, you don't even need a plug-in.Or if you don't want to pay for your IDE, download NetBeans 4 or download the JDK-NetBeans combi-pack.

Even though the holy war between NetBeans and Eclipse rages on, if you want an IDE with JDK 5 support and don't want to pay for it, even for an Eclipse user, NetBeans is an alternative. <G>

Iwan
  31. Eclipse support[ Go to top ]

Use a real IDE like IntelliJ, it's supported it for months, you don't even need a plug-in.

-John-
  32. So... when will we get full built-in support in Eclipse?
  33. speed issues on linux/amd64[ Go to top ]

FC2 x86_64, nVIDIA 61.11:
    - IDEA 4.5 starts and runs way slower then with 1.4.2, also IDEA reports taking up more RAM (not sure if I should trust the lower-right indicator though)
    - -Dsun.java2d.opengl=[T|t]rue works but renders a complete UI mess and a JVM crash on exit (vote here: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5073409)
    - server VM only (might account for the first issue)

Bummer. Well, at least I can marily type Vector<T> now and shiver when I realise it's actually Vector<Object> :)

Cheers,

Radu-A. Popescu
  34. Memory Consumption[ Go to top ]

Ant has encountered memory consumption problems too: the big issue is that the XSLT engine they ship with sucks up memory like there is no tomorrow; drop in Xalan and things go back to normal.

On a related subject, do 64 bit machines have a bigger default -Xmx? Has Java1.5 actually expanded the defaults from 64M?
  35. This is a great day in the life of Java, I can remember the first alpha on Christmas eve and today we get the full version, all that's missing is a day's holiday tomorrow to play with it like last time.

A useful thread here, if I can start it here would be some interesting books and URLs for 5.0 resources, I read the O'Reilly book (the purple one), apart form repeating half a chapter towards the end it was very readable and quite educational.

-John Davies-
  36. NetBeans 4.0 supports J2SE 5.0 right NOW[ Go to top ]

And 4.0 beta 2 just went live. It supports all of the new language features very, very nicely.

http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/download.php?type=beta2&p=1

Some of the things you also get built in with NetBeans 4.0:
     - Ant based projects (your Ant script *is* your project metadata) - J2SE projects, web projects
     - Refactoring
     - Built in support for generating and running unit tests
     - Very good source control support
     - A very nice Swing GUI editor

So, forgive me for being so bold, but why wait for Eclipse?
  37. Greater Performance and scalability: The new release includes performance improvements such as faster startup time, a smaller memory footprint, and JVM auto-tuning to drive greater overall application and development performance on J2SE 5.0 over previous versions
    Trying to bring this thread back on-topic...

Does anyone know where to find details on the "JVM auto-tuning"?
  38. Less code != More readable code[ Go to top ]

I don't agree with the equation :

Less code == More readable code

At the contrary, unreadable code is often very short: inadequate (but short indeed) variable names, no comments, fancy regular expression stuff (which not even the original developer is able to understand what it supposed to do a couple of months later), use of exotic language features, ...
  39. First language change since 1.0?[ Go to top ]

From a developer's perspective this is the first release of Java, since 1.0, where we updated the language itself.
    Wasn't inner classes introduced in 1.1?

/L
  40. First language change since 1.0?[ Go to top ]

Hello Lasse,

you're absolutely right. Inner classes where introduced in 1.1. So this isn't true.

See http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/first_edition/html/1.1Update.html
  41. Really better performance?[ Go to top ]

From my first performance tests I can say that 5.0 was only in one case (out of 6) faster than 1.4.2_05 on my Windows XP notebook. The test where it was faster was a simulated RSA attack. Note: I used the no special flags (i. e. java Classname).

Do you observe the same thing on your applications? In which areas was the performance of 5.0 improved?
  42. Really better performance?[ Go to top ]

From my first performance tests I can say that 5.0 was only in one case (out of 6) faster than 1.4.2_05 on my Windows XP notebook. The test where it was faster was a simulated RSA attack. Note: I used the no special flags (i. e. java Classname).Do you observe the same thing on your applications? In which areas was the performance of 5.0 improved?
    Have you tried a multi-threaded test or something using IO, I've seen a few areas run faster on Linux 2.6 kernels on 1.5 over 1.4.2. If you've got some self contained benchmarks I'd be happy to try them out on Linux.

-John-
  43. Really better performance?[ Go to top ]

Hi John,

sorry for the late reply. Actually I was a bit busy the last days.

Here are the links to the benchmarks I used:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/03/19/204/
    http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/03/21/222/

Actually these are part of a series of articles where the performance of Java, Delphi, C# and C++ was compared. Just download the ZIP archive at the bottom of the page. The rest should be self-explaining: extract, cd to directory of test, java Test...

Cheers
    Michael
  44. Vi support for J2Se 5[ Go to top ]

Vi support 1.5!!!

I wonder when Emacs will catch up?
    :-)

.V
  45. "Vi support for J2Se 5" ?[ Go to top ]

Could you elaborate on that? I'm always happy to use a good editor, but I don't get what you are talking about.
  46. Senseless comment[ Go to top ]

I like Eclipse :-?
  47. Grow up both of you! +1[ Go to top ]

Grow up both of you.Your comments are neither helpful nor informative. For the cost, Eclipse is a real IDE and doesn't suck.
    +1

It's been said that some in the Java community are more concerned about their tools than the actual value they deliver to the client. There is no replacement to command an IDE, but isn't it time to move on? While we are discussing which tool is better and why, competitors are moving forward. These kind of discussions begin to look like two guys discussing who's car runs faster while others are flying people to Mars.
  48. Memory Usage question[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I could have swore that I saw something about being able to determine the actual memory size of an object in JDK 1.5 (any single object), but can't see to see anything about it anywhere. Does anyone know if thats possible with the new JDK?

Thank!

Mark