Discussions

News: Atlassian releases JIRA 3.0

1. Atlassian releases JIRA 3.0 (13 messages)

The culmination of 6 months hard work, JIRA 3.0 is the largest release in Atlassian's short history, with over 400 individual improvements, JIRA 3.0 contains significant new features as well as many, many improvements and bug fixes.

JIRA 3.0 adds some highly anticipated functionality including support for multiple, customisable workflows (editable through a nice web interface), sub-tasks (to break big issues into many), an entirely new plug-in architecture (greatly enhancing JIRA's extensibility), a completely redesigned personalised dashboard (with inline editing), the ability to clone issues, an overhauled custom field system and much, much more.

To see the full JIRA 3.0 release notes please visit:
    http://www.atlassian.com/c/PR-J/10492

JIRA is now used by project managers, developers, managers, testers and other staff across thousands of organisations in over 35 countries.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. First of all congratulations to atlassian.

This is great news since we just are evaluating issue tracking systems for our company. We test JIRA too. We prefer java based solutions as we develop our software mainly in Java. But we are not sure which tool we should use. Our favorites are Scarab and JIRA. The main issue with these tools are that they are quite complicated for 'non technical' users. Does anybody use issuetracking system for regular (not technical) users? Any hints would be appreciated.

Tha second question is how JIRA 3.0 compares to SCARAB? I find scarab quite powerful and it costs $0 not $1000 :).

Artur
  3. Tha second question is how JIRA 3.0 compares to SCARAB? I find scarab quite powerful and it costs $0 not $1000 :).Artur
    We use JIRA 2.6.1 and all I can say: it worth every penny we spent on it!
  4. Scarab bugs me like a beetle.[ Go to top ]

Tha second question is how JIRA 3.0 compares to SCARAB? I find scarab quite powerful and it costs $0 not $1000 :)
    Last Spring I evaluated Scarab and Bugzilla. Scarab was garbage, and I had to buy JIRA. The biggest (of many) problem with Scarab is its lack of a customization GUI. Instead a Scarab administrator is expected to manually insert customization records into the database. Ordinarily I could tolerate this, except that Scarab's schema is a hairball. Most of its tables are associative tables (merely aggregating foreign keys). So adding a custom detail to Scarab is never as easy as inserting a single record. It usually entails inserting many related records, and the potential for human error is great. In some cases I couldn't even figure out all of the necessary associations. That's what halted my evaluation of Scarab.

We're tracking 750 issue tickets, and we love JIRA.
  5. The main issue with these tools are that they are quite complicated for 'non technical' users
    We have a very large number of non-technical users. Of our 1600-odd Jira users, I would estimate that about 2/3 or so are developers - and the rest range from support personnel, project managers, business analysts right through to pure-business users. In fact, our 'non-technical' users are some of our heaviest users.

In this regard, I think that Jira's simple & intuitive UI and workflow has meant that non-technical users have gotten up and running in practically no time. (15 min demo is the most required). Even though Jira has become a more sophisticated product over the last couple of years, none of the advanced features get in the way of the people with simple requirements.

Jira has been a huge, quiet success in our corp (somewhat large european bank). We bought it 2 years ago for use within our team (of 5) with a view to sharing it with another couple of teams that were interested. Since then it has grown to two installations (London&Paris) with over 100 projects each and nearing 1000 users each. While we have promoted it amongst the IT teams, its growth has largely been word of mouth - and people coming to us wanting to use it. (We have zero interest forcing people to use it). Among the existing systems it has replaced are products such as Rational ClearQuest, Bugzilla, BugCollector and in some areas (I have to be careful here because its a sensitive issue.. :-o ) Remedy.

And still, even though we now have users in all timezones, Hong Kong, Paris, London, New York we (mainly, me, another guy in London and a guy in Paris) still admin our respective servers in our spare time. The main work we have around Jira is helping people import issues from their existing systems.

Atlassian's support has also been excellent. During a minor crisis in Jan this year (our Solaris server suddenly crapped itself) we had to move Jira from Tomcat on Solaris using Oracle to a different server: Websphere on Redhat AS using SQL Server. And due to some Websphere ugliness, we also had to upgrade from Jira 2.3 to 2.5.3. With so many things changing, not surprisingly, we had a few problems - but a quick phone call later and the Atlassians dropped tools to help out. We were up and running again in a day. Much appreciated at the time (esp with 600 users screaming..)

And since you have the full source with the licensed product, any other minor issues we have had in the last couple of years, we have been able to diagnose and patch ourselves - usually inside a day.

Overall, the price tag has been well worth the money. It was worth the money when we had 10 users - even more so now. And our users are very happy.

-Nick
  6. I think the most important think for "non technical" people at first is the ability to get a simple screen for entering a bug. The "non technical" just wants to enter say a title, a description, the software or version of software. All that with a simple and pretty web page. Second easy way to filter bugs, to see what is the situation of their bugs.

So one important thing is the possibility to customize the presentation part. With Jira you got the source and MVC helps isolating the things to change, so you can easily I think... With Rational, Telelogic, Mercury tools, you can do it with a GUI but the results were never 100% satisfying and "cool" in my opinion. As for SCARAB, see the other post (SQL needed instead of just "HTML")...

Nevertheless with your "non technical" getting used of the software, you realize that it's interesting to ask for more for statistics or document production. So in the end you and your "non technical" people shouldn't find JIRA GUI that complicated.

To conclude, IMHO, having a good issue tracking system easily justifies $1000 (and I'm not an Atlassian customer neither Mike's friend).

Regards

Didier
  7. Ah - there is a Subversion integration plug-in for JIRA now...

I was almost willing to kill for that.
  8. Yes, the subversion support would be very nice. I also noticed the SSO support bullet point. What SSO solutions are supported OOTB? CAS by any chance?
  9. Atlassian releases JIRA 3.0[ Go to top ]

I think I've said it before here, but Atlassian Jira and Confluence are the ONLY non-Open Source products we use at the Open Source Lab. They're sufficiently well designed, easy to manage, and just plain excellent, that I have no problem violating our "Eat you own dogfood" policy.

Good work Atlassian.

Jason McKerr
    The Open Source Lab
    "Open Minds. Open Doors. Open Source."
  10. We love it[ Go to top ]

We use it for general business issues and we really love it.
    Highly recommend it, it is a must application in any project.
    Worth every penny
  11. Atlassian releases JIRA 3.0[ Go to top ]

Great news ! We use JIRA for about two years and it's absolutely worth the price.
    The support is the best you can imagine.
  12. Excellent![ Go to top ]

It's hard to stress just how good Jira is, having worked on the same team as Nick Minutello his comments obviously reflect my early experiences. Just take a look at Atlassian's customers, they all signed up in the last couple of years!!

If you don't know what Jira is, take a look, if you have a bug/issue tracking system and it's not Jira then take a look. If you just like looking at really cool well written software then take a look.

Brilliant stuff guys, well done!

-John-
  13. No Gantt Charts[ Go to top ]

JIRA is cool. Too bad it doesn't have gantt charts.
  14. Hi Mike,

I see you are talking about portlets for the dashboard...are those related in any way to the standard portlet API? and would then be possible to deploy JIRA inside a portal instead of only having it as a standalone application?

That would indeed interest many customer/users of our platform

Benjamin Mestrallet
    http://www.exoplatform.com