Discussions

News: Ask TheServerSide: What topics would you like to see in articles

1. Hello TSS. What topics would you like to see in articles on TheServerSide? What tech talks would you like? Do you care about Web services, or not? Are there topics which aren't covered as much as they deserve in the community? Let us know!

Threaded Messages (57)

2. CGLib[ Go to top ]

CGlib is a widely used library. Yet it has no introduction or tutorial. How about an article along these lines?
  3. CGLib[ Go to top ]

+1 for that. CGLIB is a very useful tool, used in a number of other products, and it would be good to have a good article on its goals, recommended usage patterns etc. Even a lot of developers who will never use it directly will benefit by knowing exactly what's going on under the covers with Hibernate, Spring et al when those frameworks use CGLIB.
  4. CGLib[ Go to top ]

+1 for that. CGLIB is a very useful tool, used in a number of other products, and it would be good to have a good article on its goals, recommended usage patterns etc.
    Using CGLib directly is a breeze. While this http://kgionline.com/articles/aop_1/aop1.jsp is not a comprehensive article, I hope it demonstrates very real CGLib use case in comparison with some AOP solutions.

Another example is here: http://kgionline.com/xflow2/doc/xflow2/code_tricks.html
  5. CGLib[ Go to top ]

+1 for that. CGLIB is a very useful tool,
    I would like HiveMind used CGLib to create proxies, it would ease requirement to have Interface/Implementation pair and will allow to have Implementation only.

PS: Not that I don't like Interfaces, I just love restfulness: create only that is absolutely necessary: Impl, which easily could be turned into interface/impl pair later if necessary (IntelliJ rocks)
  6. CGLib[ Go to top ]

I totally agree with you not only for the purpose of creating class proxies but also for creating interceptors. And it is very much possible to create a custom ServiceImplementationFactory that can generate CGLIB proxies.
  7. CGLib[ Go to top ]

because CGLib is based on ASM, you can first
    read this article on ASM

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/10/06/asm1.html

Rémi Forax
  8. CGLib[ Go to top ]

CGlib is a widely used library. Yet it has no introduction or tutorial. How about an article along these lines?
    +1 from me about article on CGlib.
    I would like to see some articles on Java Rules Engine usage in real world application. Also, I want to see articles related to portal development framework comparison.
  9. Hi all,
    I talk a lot with manny Java developers, and a lot of them recognize that 100% of their work is server-side dedicated, but as the hardware resources are becoming more and more powerful and cheaper, all they think that the momentum for client-side Java comes very fast and they try to prepare learning Swing, it's possible to find job postings with requirements for Swing programming experience, and especially for new client applications, the platform independence becomes a thing to take into consideration. Java has API for multimedia, graphics etc. and this makes the platform a real opportunity to be taken into consideration. I hope that my post will not start clashes/frags between <Rolf T. and The_Others> ;-), or between <Swing versus SWT>, let's try to be civilized and to keep on-topic ... is there the momentum for www.TheClientSide.com ?
    Regards and respect,
    Cristian
  10. Mobile computing are gaining much attention now, both in gaming an in the enterprise area. What about some mobile/J2ME/MIDP news and content?

David
  11. Trusted Open Source Libraries[ Go to top ]

My ReplayTV hard disk drive began to fail last week. I did a Google search and found a utility to format generic IDE hard disk drives in the ReplayTV format. The utility is open-source and the project is listed on SourceForge. Amazing. I remember when open-source was pretty much the Apache Web server and a bunch of free Linux hacks. Now's it everything. And SourceForge has 89,000 projects.

As a developer, so many open-source projects makes it harder for me to make decisions on which open-source libraries I should depend on in my software projects. I wish TSS has a way to let me ask the J2EE community for a vote of confidence on open-source libraries and that there was a TSS article showing me the ups-and-downs of using it. For example, an article on how-to use Beehive and a rating from TSS readers would be great. The reader rating would be similar to Freshmeat: Viability, User Experiences, Frequency of Updates.

-Frank Cohen
    http://www.pushtotest.com
    Author of Java Testing and Design at http://thebook.pushtotest.com
  12. Trusted Open Source Libraries[ Go to top ]

For example, an article on how-to use Beehive and a rating from TSS readers would be great. The reader rating would be similar to Freshmeat: Viability, User Experiences, Frequency of Updates.
    Please, no rating systems. I can't take another 300-post thread about vote-rigging and web logs and IP addresses and all that crap.

I actually think that this is an area that TSS has been pretty effective. When people start getting successful deployments with certain open-source tools, people tend to talk about them on the forums here and they generate buzz. I use a lot of open-source tools that I heard about on TSS. The fact that you haven't heard much about Beehive here after the initial announcement means there probably aren't a lot of success stories with it yet.
  13. Trusted Open Source Libraries[ Go to top ]

The fact that you haven't heard much about Beehive here after the initial announcement means there probably aren't a lot of success stories with it yet.
    I’v started using HiveMind and pretty satisfied so far. Wish list:
    - make Interface optional;
    - config:: make order of constructor parameters unimportant ( if they are declared and there is no ambiguity )
    - config:: make constructor parameters declaration optional. Pico approach: use greediest constructor that might be satisfied with available services.
  14. I'd like to see case studies of firms dumping premium software for shareware. Weather.com comes to mind. Likewise articles about cheap horizontal scaling. In today's globalized free market, if I'm not learning how to make systems cheaper, then I'm not learning. I can only survive as long as I can pass savings on to customers.

Anyway, cite more of them juicy blogs out there. The problem with blogs is that they don't well support prolonged discussion. TSS fixes that by citing the best pieces and giving them a real forum. I like that.
  15. Case Studies Might be good[ Go to top ]

(This is strictly my requirement. May or May not serve broader community needs.)

Articles on how people are implementing J2EE technologies. What kind of problems they are facing and how they are solving them. And how widly each technology is being used.
    For example: Iam still not clear how good are webservices. Some say they are not very efficient and complex in implementing(like debugging is difficult.....)
    Some argue that they are good.
    One problem(for mortal like me) is there are too many options/implementations for each java technology. Some times it is becoming difficult decision which one to use.
    Recently I have been given option to choose ORMapping. I have used hibernate before but want to try out JDO, there are 4/5 implementations of it. I didnot have time to evaluate each one of them. I frankly have no good idea about JDO. So used hibernate.

So if there is some article/review of comparision about different implementations and possibly ranking of things.(It's good even if ranking is one person's opinion).

Some thing like Intel and AMD processors comparision in Anandtech.
  16. Case Studies Might be good[ Go to top ]

For example: Iam still not clear how good are webservices. Some say they are not very efficient and complex in implementing(like debugging is difficult.....)Some argue that they are good.
    I inherited an extranet project that used CORBA for client/server chatter. Our alpha customer had a client firewall that only allowed traffic out through port 80. CORBA can't handle it in an ORB-vendor neutral way. The OMG firewall specification has been pending for years, and its techinical details are grossly overconstrained. Worse yet, I couldn't figure out how to get my ORB vendor to handle it with proprietary settings. CORBA was a complete failure with our customer. We switched the project over to WSDL with Apache Axis, and it immediately penetrated the client's firewall without any additional configuration. Port 80 is universal, and the CORBA community always missed this.
  17. Case Studies Might be good[ Go to top ]

Port 80 is universal, and the CORBA community always missed this.
    Here we go again. By some mysterious reasons port 80 is still assumed 'safe' even whole bunch of crap creeping through ...

Just wondering when this nonsense will stop?
  18. Case Studies Might be good[ Go to top ]

By some mysterious reasons port 80 is still assumed 'safe' even whole bunch of crap creeping through ... Just wondering when this nonsense will stop?

You miss the point: port 80 is ubiquitous; those who target it have greater extranet reach than CORBA is ever granted. It was very awkward that CORBA could not connect our server to our first alpha customer. It was gratifying to convert the IDL to WSDL, recompile, and instantly penetrate an extraodinarily strict firewall. Very satisfying indeed.
  19. Case Studies Might be good[ Go to top ]

By some mysterious reasons port 80 is still assumed 'safe' even whole bunch of crap creeping through ... Just wondering when this nonsense will stop?
    You miss the point: port 80 is ubiquitous; those who target it have greater extranet reach than CORBA is ever granted. It was very awkward that CORBA could not connect our server to our first alpha customer. It was gratifying to convert the IDL to WSDL, recompile, and instantly penetrate an extraodinarily strict firewall. Very satisfying indeed.
    I do not argue that at this time port 80 based solutions penetrate firewalls easier as have broader reach. I express my wonder how we come to the nonsense.
    How about some articles, which will lift mist from network security and explain in plain terms what is really going on there, what really matters and where is just laziness and incompetence.
  20. I do not argue that at this time port 80 based solutions penetrate firewalls easier as have broader reach. I express my wonder how we come to the nonsense.

As a network protocol, HTTP serves more GUIs than IIOP does. Not just one or two orders of magnitude more, no. HTTP GUIs are ubiquitous.

Sysadmins don't like traffic, because it's difficult to manage, audit, etc. But they do love to surf the web, so port 80 usually gets punched. Maybe that's unfair. Maybe they just need HTTP to pick and download enterprise software, in which case the sysadmin appreciates HTTP as a lucrative pipe. Or maybe his internal customers use important browser applications like Bugzilla or HotMail.

The real question for me isn't whether or not to use web services. Rather, which flavor is easiest? RMI/HTTP, JXTA, SOAP, or REST? So many lucious choices with freeware Java drivers. Almost strangely, the clutzy SOAP stack is the most popular for enterprise integration.

The most profound possibility of web services is single sign on, which enables grids.
  21. I would like to see case studies on converting from commercial or hand written applications to frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate, Xwork/Webwork, Struts and combinations of frameworks. For instance, I have just begun a project where we migrating from home-grown code, Struts and EJB's to Spring, Hibernate, and Xwork/Webwork.

What would be really nice is to see customizations, experiences and opinions on combinations of some of the recent frameworks that have matured in the last couple of years.
  22. I would like to see some articles that talk about the advantages and disadvantages over creating Rich Internet Applications with Flex, Laszlo and JSF. In addition information related to incorporating these into other frameworks (i.e. Struts & Tiles, Spring etc) would be useful.
  23. facts, facts and more facts[ Go to top ]

I can not understand why not TSS do surveys. I do not mean quick polls but full fledged researches like that ones Evans do. The last Evans "North American Development Survey" had only 500 respondents! Compare this to TSS 425220 members.. Those kind of survey can be sold and fund benchmarks and studies. Maybe we finally kind find out the market share of WebLogic/Jboss or Apache/IIS or .NET vs J2EE. (only among companies that have there own server of course).

I am sure that TSS members doesn't mind fill in some forms in return for so much interesting information.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  24. P.S.[ Go to top ]

With interesting TSS discussions packaged and sold together with the report! :)
    What a money machine - almost like Google. Half a million mostly experienced members-consultants is a powerful asset.
  25. facts, facts and more facts[ Go to top ]

Sorry, but I just couldnt resist the opportunity: "facts, facts and more facts"?

Next thing up you´ll probably steal Fox´s slogan "Fair and balanced". ;)

On a more serious note though, I see your point, but I am afraid statistics can be skewed any way you like it and the results are very much up to the interpreter of the data, so personally I dont see much of a point in hard to verify statistics..

Also "statistical facts" seem to mostly result in flamewars that really just put of a lot of people from TSS altogether (me included).

Why not focus more on non-confrontational articles that are technically and architecturally interesting on the merits of their contents, rather than the controversy they stir up?
  26. Portals[ Go to top ]

a detailed comparison of portal implementations.
  27. how about the faces?[ Go to top ]

Yesterday I saw a talking article on Goodger talking about the Firefox project. The XUL tech. gave me a deep impression for the excellent appearance of mozilla/firefox. I thought the view layer is a big drawback for J2EE system. TSS is the biggest forum on Java. It should do better on this to bring more sights and resources into this field.
  28. I would like to see an article comparing .Net opensource vs. Java opensource. Beyond the usual ports to N*, is there really any innovation and how do the ports stand up against the originals.

An article comparing sourceforge, apache, codehaus, etc... as opensource cultures.

An article on all these IDEs pusing Team features that will make offshoring a breeze.
  29. Nowadays we are living in the RAD world, what is important then, you need good and trustable tools and Open Source Projects and whatever..., you guess, have a deep understanding of architect. Topics i need, more refenrence applications that are highly motivated by architectural aspect and implementing Open Source projects in it. More and much more architecttral discussion, because we dont have only one true.

Oguz
  30. Also, it very interesting to hear new facts about our every day tools.
    For example, nothing is more trivial then XML parser.

But, there are Piccolo parser, which code generates by JavaCC and could be 4x quicker of parsing. Do some tests, try to use it with SOAP(Axis) and tell us is that cool or not.
  31. Also, it very interesting to hear new facts about our every day tools.For example, nothing is more trivial then XML parser.But, there are Piccolo parser, which code generates by JavaCC and could be 4x quicker of parsing. Do some tests, try to use it with SOAP(Axis) and tell us is that cool or not.

XML schema -> templete with javaCC grammar -> genrated parser for special schema, doe's Piccolo work this way ? It is not the rocket science, but I am not sure this parser will be faster, it can be interesting to test.
  32. Interoperability and integration[ Go to top ]

I would like to see more on interoperability and integration best practices, and generally more articles and case studies on messaging.

Also an obvious but perhaps not very exhaustive point is .Net interoperability, I don´t see it as "J2EE vs .Net", its more "J2EE and .Net", although my primary background is in Java/J2EE I see a bigger and bigger need for interoperability in my work since clients dont want one environment, they want what works best under specific circumstances.

I would however like to see less of O/R mapping, persistence and different MVC frameworks, is that the only "problem" enterprise developers and architects ever come across? Please! Its starting to become a mature and saturated area in my opinion and is really not a very big problem in real life environments outside of your average "lets play around with this cool technology"-environment at home.
  33. +1 (Interoperability and integration "j2ee AND .net")
  34. It's not just the topics, but the oranization. For example, the front page has just a few new topics per day, but perhaps there could be different "views" of a larger set of underlying topics (not all of which get to the front page) including views by product (WebLogic, WebSphere), views by license type (open source, commercial), by market segment (appliations server, portal, ORM, ..) etc. .. and of course with an RSS for each view ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  35. It's not just the topics, but the oranization. For example, the front page has just a few new topics per day, but perhaps there could be different "views" of a larger set of underlying topics (not all of which get to the front page) including views by product...

That is the good idea. How about extending it and have some sort of idea registry and then link projects to the basic underlying ideas.
    For example: XUL, there are two basic ideas:
    -one is XML language that defines UI widgets itself ;
    -and another is framework specific XML UI description that help utilize whatever that FW provides ( one example is SwixML)

ORM:
    -object centered approach (Hibernate, JDO etc.)
    -DB (SQL) centered approach (iBatis)

Web UI:
    -page centered/ Template based ( jsp, Freemarker etc)
    -component based ( Tapestry )

Generic classification:
    - human oriented (Ant )
    - tool oriented ( JSF )

It would be fun to identify core ideas and discuss products in such terms.
  36. Structure[ Go to top ]

It's not just the topics, but the oranization. For example, the front page has just a few new topics per day, but perhaps there could be different "views" of a larger set of underlying topics (not all of which get to the front page) including views by product (WebLogic, WebSphere), views by license type (open source, commercial), by market segment (appliations server, portal, ORM, ..) etc. .. and of course with an RSS for each view ;-)

Yes, that would be really helpful. TSS contains tons of useful invaluable stuff, but time is required for making any sort of research like comparing issue tracking tools, for example. Of course, Atlassian with JIRA has a certain visibility, but still, there are others which also deserve coverage. Also, I don't see any activity around SAP products like WebAS, XI. Would be great to know how and when people use it.
  37. Case Studies[ Go to top ]

Hello, folks,

Case Studies for real J2EE solutions would be invaluable. This would be a natural extension to TheServerSide, "J2EE vs. .NET" to "J2EE and .NET" is finally a sensible outlook for this community.

So, full blown application case studies is not what I'm looking for, instead a real-life slice of a specific J2EE problem statement will add value.

Perhaps, TheServerSide could put up a template (with guidelines) for formatting case studies. Get some feedback for this template, and then add a "Case Study" menu selection.

Some Case Study ideas:

1) Entitybean and database mapping
    2) Entitybean and Object models
    3) Entitybean database synchronization outside of CMP
    4) DTO's in Action
    5) Different J2EE interface solutions
    5) J2EE patterns in action
    6) Lookup tables in CMP

The idea is too have "real" J2EE solutions, not J2EE antipatterns...
  38. Motivate![ Go to top ]

I've noticed many times that some of the stories posted do not attract many comments. I interpret this as that the post was of now interest to the majority of readers. I would like to suggest that stories get posted after they score a minimum of N votes from members of TSS. This will ensure that the stories are of interest to the majority of developers and will also gauge interest in certain areas. It may also have side effect of posting good stories a matter of prestige. If you need quality articles then motivate!

Alex
  39. Motivate![ Go to top ]

Don't agree with voting. Many times you
    just don't have anything to say about
    an article, that doesn't mean i didn't
    get anything out of it. If you require
    comments you'll just have to polarize
    people to get it, much like the rest
    of world at this moment.
  40. Motivate![ Go to top ]

If you like the article then vote for it and when it passes a threshold it will appear on the front page. The point is to assure that community desides what goes to the front page, after all, TSS wants to be a true java server side community website.
  41. Thanks for the good input[ Go to top ]

Hi guys -

I just wanted to let you know that we are watching, and appreciate the great feedback.

Dion
  42. More articles on stuff outside of J2EE, like JXTA, CORBA, JINI, Client side frameworks (not just web based ones, swing and SWT are still viable client frameworks) etc.

Less J2EE & .NET flamebait - if you have to publish results/benchmarks, don't make it a thread, just point people towards the article, because it always degenerates.

--calum
  43. I find a jMock guide[ Go to top ]

In Aslak Hellesoy's previous interview, jMock was introduces as a discovery tool. I want to know the idea futher more... :)
  44. more on frameworks[ Go to top ]

With the new Spring Framework by Rod Johnson and his pals, I thought I'd found a perfect framework to build apps both on the web and intranets and on the desktop. What more could i ask for?

But new frameworks seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days, and I don't want to have to learn all of them just so I can choose one.

I would REALLY appreciate a series that would compare application frameworks, giving their purvue (e.g. server side, client side, web-services-only, blogs-only, portals-only etc.)

What I want to know is
    a) is the framework well-formulated along OOD guidelines?
    b) is it fast and scalable (if server-side)
    c) is it free?
    d) does it play well with others (e.g. EJB, Struts, JDO)?
    e) what needs does it answer? Why should I use it?
    f) who supports it?
    g) who uses it?

In fact, I would say that framweorks forums would be a worthwhile website or sub-website in itself.
  45. more on frameworks[ Go to top ]

Some Java frameworks

Apache Beehive - http://incubator.apache.org/beehive/
    SDO - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-sdo/
    DOM4J - http://www.dom4j.org/
    Spring - http://www.springframework.org/
    Cocoon - http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/index.html
    WebApp Framework - http://webapp.de/en/
    Arch4J - http://arch4j.sourceforge.net/
    JSF - http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/index.jsp
    Struts - http://struts.apache.org/
    Tapestry - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tapestry
    WebWork - http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork
    Echo - http://www.nextapp.com/products/echo
    Expresso - http://www.jcorporate.com/html/products/expresso.html
    Jade - http://sourceforge.net/projects/salmon
    JOT Servlets Framework - http://www.jotobjects.com/
    JUnit - http://www.junit.org/index.htm
    Castor - http://www.castor.org/
    Hibernate - http://www.hibernate.org/
    OJB - http://db.apache.org/ojb/
    JDO - http://java.sun.com/products/jdo/
    O/R Broker - http://orbroker.sourceforge.net/
    Cayenne - http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/
    Jena - http://jena.sourceforge.net/
    Framework for Java Database Connectivity - http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/framework4jdbc
    Grid Application Framework for Java - http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/GAF4J
    Java 2 Collections - http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/collections/
    Avalon - http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/index.html
    Cactus - http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/index.html
    Turbine - http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/index.html
    JPOPS - http://jpos.org/
    A Java framework for GPS - http://www.aasted.org/gps/
    MyFaces - http://incubator.apache.org/projects/myfaces.html
    Sun Java Media Framework - http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.jsp
    A framework for Internet Distributed Computations - http://www.imc.pi.cnr.it/java.html
    The Real time Java Framework - http://control.ee.ethz.ch/~ceg/RealTimeJavaFramework/doc/index.html
    Java Agent Framework - http://dis.cs.umass.edu/research/jaf/
    Janx - http://www.bearriver.com/janx.html
    Open Card - http://www.opencard.org/
    Piccolo - http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo/
    Symphony - http://zuni.cs.vt.edu/symphony/

Sun Java.net list of frameworks and libraries - http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javapedia/FrameworksAndLibraries
  46. more on frameworks[ Go to top ]

I would suggest getting (as in commissioning) Matt Raible to write some articles or reports.

As someone who spends about 1/3 of his time on Java work I also do not have the time to try out every new framework. I suspect that a lot of people are in a similar situation. The answer for most of us non full-timers is usually to follow the crowd ie. accept what Sun is currently marketing or whatever has a lot of acceptance in the Apache community.

That is really too bad. There are excellent technologies and tools out there that almost nobody has heard about. XMLC is a good example. Anybody who has tried XMLC will probably never want to code a JSP page again.

What I and probably many other people need is for someone to (be paid to) go through the pain of trying out such frameworks and reporting their experience be it good or (especially important) be it bad.

Matt Raible has been doing great work comparing the most popular web application frameworks but there are still many others which deserve to be examined. Just as importantly he has gone to the trouble of showing how these and other frameworks for persistence, testing etc. can be integrated into a real solution.

Maybe the middleware company could sponsor Matt or other people with similar talents and experience and employ them as consultants/mentors. This would encourage companies to come to the middleware company for expert advice.

I find Matts articles which focus on productivity more interesting than headline megahits such as .NOT smashes J2Eeeak.

have fun,
    Richard
  47. First of all, thank you TSS for all the great information you provide and thanks for asking readers to suggest future article ideas.

Recently I needed an easy, free Java bar graph and line graph generator to create JPEG files to embed in HTML pages. After searching the net, I came up with three main contenders:

JFreeChart
    http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/index.html

JCharts
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcharts

and JOpenCharts
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jopenchart

There's probably other good ones out there. It would be nice if someone, who's into graphing/charting, could evaluate and compare these packages to see which are most flexible, easy to use, easy to learn, and which ones make the best looking charts.
  48. More BPEL...[ Go to top ]

OASIS BPEL Home
  49. Less BPEL[ Go to top ]

Less BPEL
  50. More details on J2EE Frameworks[ Go to top ]

I'd like to see more specific information on the following:

* IBATIS
    * Spring
    * JSF and why I should use it versus JSTL/Struts or in addition to
    * More information on JBoss, Sun ONE AS, Resin. Articles tend to cover WS
       and BEA.
    * Complex CSS. I'm tired of seeing multiple ways to do 3D buttons in CSS. I
       want to see more complex CSS tasks that help move people to using it
       versus crap tools that still do all of their formatting inn HTML.
    * More articles on using XML in a servlet, JSP, and java in general.
  51. Lightweight containers like SPring, Hivemind : are they a real alternative to major J2EE platforms?
  52. Some topics of interest to me:
    • MDA - usage, abusage, best practices, real-life experiences, best tools (and how to use them)
    • Client-side media other than HTML, eg. Flash, XUL, and relevant standards
    • Server-side technologies other than J2EE, eg JINI, JXTA
    • Java innards - low-level technical stuff eg, concurrency issues, tools for byte-code manipulation, lesser-used classes/apis, generally how to write lean but safe code

I also think it is right for the news page to be completely egalitarian, ie, all stories receive equal billing, not dependent on reader votes.

But IMO it would improve usability to have a hot topics list so that popular discussions stay on the front page.

2p,
    Kit
  53. I would like to see something informational yet entertaining and kind of unexpected. Something that I would not even think to look up on Google. Something thay may have slipped from my sight when a new version of a product or a spec was released, or some unusual application of well-known technology.

For example, an article (not on TSS, but this is just an example) about creating servlet filters to compress HTTP response was quite refreshing and motivating for me.
  54. MORE CaseStudies[ Go to top ]

More Case Studies! Real stories of how and using what techniques real systems currently in production were built.

And I personally, would like to see even Business Studies also - i.e. what was behind now well-known initiatives or startups that do busines on 'java-selling'.

--
    Mike Skorik
  55. What about letting TSS readers know ObjectWeb projects a little better?

That's right, ObjectWeb is a truly global community, with members from 73+ countries. But the community uses English as its lingua franca, and people from the US are very welcome! Actually, the rule is that all mailing lists are in English, unless otherwise stated (eg: ML in Chinese) -- and same applies to web site (http://www.objectweb.org)

On a total of 80+ projects (http://forge.objectweb.org/softwaremap/full_list.php), most of them are actually written in Java.

JOnAS is for example a J2EE appserv -- the first that was awarded a scholarship for certification by the JCP.
    JOnAS is also distributed by Red Hat under the name "Red Hat Application Server". RHAS is arguably one of the more credible open source J2EE today. JOnAS also is available from MandrakeSoft.

Many ObjectWeb components address high-end entreprise requirements: workflow engines (Shark, JaWE, Bonita, ...), JMS MOM (JORAM), XML processing (XQuark), mobile synchronization (Sync4j), RDBMS clustering (C-JDBC) and many, many more -- including a BPEL engine to be unveiled anytime now!

They are not vaporware, but mature, stable components used in production.

News about ObjectWeb activity may bring some fresh air to TSS. What about tech talks with project leaders or committers, what about interviews with consortium officers :) ?
  56. More info about rich client[ Go to top ]

I think it's very interesting things. For example It would be quite good to read an article - How to integrate Laszlo + Web Service/Spring.
  57. More info about rich client[ Go to top ]

I think it's very interesting things. For example It would be quite good to read an article - How to integrate Laszlo + Web Service/Spring.
  58. LESS CRAPPY "J2EE vs .NET" STUDIES AND MORE TECH STUFF.