Discussions

News: JFluid/NetBeans Profiler Milestone 2

1. JFluid/NetBeans Profiler Milestone 2 (9 messages)

The NetBeans project is pleased to announce that the Milestone 2 release of the NetBeans Profiler, an integrated CPU and memory profiler for NetBeans IDE 3.6, is now available. The Profiler is based on the JFluid research project that has been in development at SunLabs for the last two years and adds tight integration into the NetBeans IDE and an improved user interface.

There are also several long-awaited features and major improvements now available, including:

* The Threads Timeline. This is an extension of the profiler monitoring functionality, which allows the user to observe more details about the threads, such as their names, classes, state (e.g. running or waiting) etc. during application execution.
        * Attach using PID on Windows. Now it is possible to attach the Profiler on-the-fly to a running application that does not have a console window, such as some Web/Application servers. Previously this option was available only on Solaris and Linux.
        * Got rid of "secondary class path". In the previous JFluid versions, to be able to profile certain classes (such as those consituting Web and J2EE applications) the user had to explicitly specify their location on disk through the so-called "secondary class path". This could be tedious and error-prone. Starting from this release, this is not needed anymore - the tool automatically locates all classes, including those generated dynamically or downloaded over the network.
        * Usability enhancements: better column sorting in tables, large telemetry graphs saving information about multiple profiling sessions, improved handling of global profiler settings, etc.

For more information and to download NetBeans Profiler, visit http://profiler.netbeans.org.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Is there a Jfluid alone version?[ Go to top ]

I Just want use Jfluid alone, not with netbeans. Is there a Jfluid alone version?
    I have looked for a open source/free profiler for a long time. Anybody has any advice?
  3. Free Profilers[ Go to top ]

There was pre NetBeans Profiler version of JFluid that you can use stand-alone if you can find it that is.

From my experience if you work with decent size applications there is no free alternative to JFluid engine. This seems to be \due to limitations of Java 1.4 JVMPI.

So my advice would be either learn to use NetBeans Profiler or buy a commercial alternative. Note that you do not have to use NetBeans as your primary IDE to use its profiler.

Artem
  4. Free Java Profiler[ Go to top ]

I Just want use Jfluid alone, not with netbeans. Is there a Jfluid alone version?I have looked for a open source/free profiler for a long time. Anybody has any advice?

AppPerfect offers a FREE Java profiler that provides heap/memory, performance/CPU, thread and system profiling. Its a commercial product which has a free version:

Visit: http://www.appperfect.com/products/devsuite/jp.html
  5. JFluid/NetBeans Profiler Milestone 2[ Go to top ]

I can't wait for the JFluid support for NetBeans 4.0, which is so much better than NetBeans3.6.

Any idea when this may happen ?
  6. JFluid Roadmap[ Go to top ]

I can't wait for the JFluid support for NetBeans 4.0, which is so much better than NetBeans3.6.Any idea when this may happen ?

The JFluid roadmap is available at the profiler modules page at netbeans.org: http://profiler.netbeans.org/

Early Access will be in 4.0 in Oct/Nov (don't have exact time)

Beta will be with NetBeans 4.0.

Final will ship with NetBeans 4.1 (just released in early access with EJB support).

The NetBeans roadmap is available here: http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/roadmap.html

Hope this helps.

John Clingan
    Sun Microsystems
  7. CPU usage in Java?[ Go to top ]

This is probably way off topic. I'm wondering if looking at the JFluid code would give me insite into a reliable way of learning the CPU utilization metric for the machine running my Java app while the app runs?

-Frank
  8. Profiler Output file with Detail[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I have been using the NetBeans Profiler-MileStone 2.Using the Netbeans->Export Results, I am able to ouput the Profiling results' summary only.

How would I get the detailed output (for ex: Stack Trace info etc.) or a file which can be viewed again in Netbeans IDE? Any idea/suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
  9. Profiler Output file with Detail[ Go to top ]

How would I get the detailed output (for ex: Stack Trace info etc.) or a file which can be viewed again in Netbeans IDE? Any idea/suggestion?Thanks in advance,

This feature is not available right now, though it's requested periodically. We will probably provide a better support for saving and re-reading profiling data "snapshots" in some future release of JFluid.

Misha Dmitriev
    JFluid/NetBeans Profiler Team
  10. Profiler Output file with Detail[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your update. I will wait for the same.

The reasons for which I asked is because:

1. It can be analzyzed and can be used in future
    2. Once the JVM becomes inactive, can not see the stacktrace detail ('Target JVM Inactive'). So this calls for once again application run.

I am sure you will be aware of these, but thought let me put a point.

Thanks and Regards,