Max number of items in a listbox?

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Max number of items in a listbox?

1. Max number of items in a listbox? (3 messages)

What is the limitation on the number of items displayed in a listbox? (the contents of the listbox is generated dynamically by a JSP) I have seen web pages on the net used for registration containing the listbox to select a country from a list of 100 or so items.

Would it be safe to load 100 items in a listbox, with each item containing 50 chars in an IE browser? Listbox seems to be more appealing to our end users here, than a server round trip with a textbox. My concern is that, the IE browser might crash if I load many items in a listbox.

We are using IE 6.0 on Windows NT4.0.

thanks,
    Vishwa
  2. Max number of items in a listbox?[ Go to top ]

The easiest way is just to test it :-) We've generated pages that have roughly 50 - 100 entries in a listbox without any problems. I think this is just a question on page size and performance - loading 100 items with 50 characters each slows things down a bit if you're on a modem.
  3. Max number of items in a listbox?[ Go to top ]

Hi there is no limitation as far as i know .
    And similar functionality r in use without any problem
  4. Max number of items in a listbox?[ Go to top ]

hi there ..

well.. There is no limit for the items that populate to the listbox , but i agree with u that the browser will take more time to load all the values , one thing u can do to avoid this is to divide the list values into sub groups .

:) krishna kishore.