Got Project Automation?

Discussions

News: Got Project Automation?

1. Got Project Automation? (15 messages)

"You're on the hook to deliver a software release for a critical demo tomorrow morning." This is how Mike Clark starts his article on project automation. He takes us through a scenario where all of the automation tools are used.

Read more in: Got Project Automation?

Threaded Messages (15)

2. For small and big projects[ Go to top ]

I found the article quite amusing to read since it struck me how much easier it is to use these automation tools on even very small projects or on small timeframes. Often one thinks that I should do it manually since it takes to long to be up and running with configuring the tool(s). My experience is that it pays back even the first time, it takes longer to make it run manually than using these automation tools. The only thing I miss in the article is the CruiseControl LavaLamp extension ;-)

Regards,

Erik
  3. For small and big projects[ Go to top ]

It is like most things you do. The real time investment is when you set up the piece of automation for the first time. Once you have done it you can carry that knowledge from project to project automating as you go.

To this end I have a set of base project templates in my home CVS server that allows me to get automation up and running very quickly on each new assignment.
  4. For small and big projects[ Go to top ]

It is like most things you do. The real time investment is when you set up the piece of automation for the first time. Once you have done it you can carry that knowledge from project to project automating as you go.To this end I have a set of base project templates in my home CVS server that allows me to get automation up and running very quickly on each new assignment.

Very true.Good investment always has a good result.But, many do not want to put good investment.We expect more ,while giving less.Not better solutions , but faster solutions :)
  5. For small and big projects[ Go to top ]

It is like most things you do. The real time investment is when you set up the piece of automation for the first time. Once you have done it you can carry that knowledge from project to project automating as you go.To this end I have a set of base project templates in my home CVS server that allows me to get automation up and running very quickly on each new assignment.
    Any thoughts on sharing that with the community...
  6. ??WebSphere[ Go to top ]

Has anyone tried to automate WebSphere Application Developer and Rational ClearCase?
  7. WSAD & Clearcase[ Go to top ]

Has anyone tried to automate WebSphere Application Developer and Rational ClearCase?

Heh heh. You must be joking, right?
  8. ??WebSphere[ Go to top ]

There's a 3 part article here about running a headless WebSphere Studio build from Ant. However, this ties your build process to a very large and expensive IDE - you might be better off using Maven to declare your project dependencies and letting it auto-generate your WebSphere Studio .project and .classpath files and build your projects. Ant comes with some optional tasks to control ClearCase
  9. ??WebSphere[ Go to top ]

It IS possible, but not pretty. At my previous employer we brought in IBM consultants for a couple weeks to help us figure it out. In the end it involved a lot of complex setup, a few pages of their configuration script (TCL I think?) and still took twice as long as our WebLogic build.

As a general rule of thumb I tell people that you can expect productivity to go down by a factor of 2 when you move from WL to WAS, and that's just including the build times and technical hurdles, it doesn't include the LARGE investment in automating your build environment necessary for WAS.
  10. ??WebSphere[ Go to top ]

I've automated builds for J2EE apps that are using both WSAD and Rational ClearCase with great success.
    ClearCase is no harder than any other SCM to automate (fully command-line driven interface).

WSAD is a bit different: IBM has published several articles to persuade us that performing your build using a headless WSAD through Ant is a good way to go. I personnaly don't want to be dependent on an IDE to build my J2EE projects, so I chose another solution.

I use plain Ant scripts to perform the builds. The only thing that requires some research is how to call the ejbdeploy tool from Ant to generate deployed code for your EJBs. It has a <websphere> subtask for the <ejbjar> task that you can use, although its code requires some tweaking to make it play nice with Ant's XmlLogger, which is used by CruiseControl. You also need WSAD 5.0 or higher to have XMI-files that can be parsed directly by WebSphere's ejbdeploy-tool.

The nice thing about WSAD (or Eclipse, actually) is that it keeps all its meta-info on projects in plain text (mostly XML) files. This has enabled me to write a Perl-script that is given the location of the Ear-project and then determines all dependent projects, writes build scripts for each of them and writes a toplevel build script that calls all these other scripts using the right dependencies. Running this Perl script is actually part of all our builds, so when a developer adds a new Web-project to the application, a build script will automatically be created for it. This saves us a lot of time maintaining separate build scripts.
  11. ??WebSphere[ Go to top ]

ClearCase is no harder than any other SCM to automate (fully command-line driven interface).

ClearCase is a versioned file system. This surely makes it easier to script than traditional version control systems.
  12. WSAD integration with ClearCase[ Go to top ]

I am currently planning a WSAD / CC integration and was wondering if I could review your solution. Can you share it?
  13. Hi Joris,

I was wondering if it is possible for you to share information on how your automation works or possibly sharing your perl scripts to automate the WSAD/ClearCase build.

We have about 50 different components that are part of a Suite. Most of them use Visual Studio C++, C# and Web projects. We have several that use WSAD. We have the Visual Studio ones automated. I am trying to get the WSAD components to build as well without having to dance with the elephants (IBM/WSAD).

Thanks in advance.
  14. Running ant on WSAD project outside IDE[ Go to top ]

I've automated builds for J2EE apps that are using both WSAD and Rational ClearCase with great success.

WSAD is a bit different: IBM has published several articles to persuade us that performing your build using a headless WSAD through Ant is a good way to go. I personnaly don't want to be dependent on an IDE to build my J2EE projects, so I chose another solution.

I use plain Ant scripts to perform the builds. The only thing that requires some research is how to call the ejbdeploy tool from Ant to generate deployed code for your EJBs. It has a subtask for the task that you can use, although its code requires some tweaking to make it play nice with Ant's XmlLogger, which is used by CruiseControl. You also need WSAD 5.0 or higher to have XMI-files that can be parsed directly by WebSphere's ejbdeploy-tool
    Hi Joris, i was going thru the net looking for an almost same requirement. I have a project file with sone ant scripts that are used in getting few .ear's out of this project when used within WSAD IDE. I've tried running this ant script outside IDE but failed. Reason was due to usage of WSAD's built-in ant tasks: earexport, warexport, projectBuild,getJavacErrorCount etc. Also I am new to WSAD. When i tried running the ant scripts outside IDE by commenting these in-built tasks , i could able to get the .ear's. I wanted to get an equivalent of these in-built tasks written so that i can make use of it outside of the IDE. But i am not sure exactly what these in-built tasks perform. Could you please help me in trying to find out if the equivalent ant tasks for the in-built tasks can be written in ant/perl??
    The nice thing about WSAD (or Eclipse, actually) is that it keeps all its meta-info on projects in plain text (mostly XML) files. This has enabled me to write a Perl-script that is given the location of the Ear-project and then determines all dependent projects, writes build scripts for each of them and writes a toplevel build script that calls all these other scripts using the right dependencies. Running this Perl script is actually part of all our builds, so when a developer adds a new Web-project to the application, a build script will automatically be created for it. This saves us a lot of time maintaining separate build scripts.
    Does this perl script perform the similar tasks done by projectBuild/earexport?? Thanks & Regards
  15. Hi, I've been getting emails from several people that read my posting and requested help on using (just) Ant to build WebSphere ears from WSAD/RAD project sources. It seems there's a big need for this, without much resources available that describe how to actually do it... Several of these people have reported to me that they've managed to get this to work with a little help from by build script generator and/or its example output for a demo project with EJB's and WAR's. However, reactions on this thread have gone by unnoticed by me since this forum doesn't seem to send a notification when someone posts a reply to your message: I just noticed them now in my vanitity feed :) I still actively maintain the script (EJB2 in WebSphere 6 required a new approach, since Ant's ejbdeploy task won't cut it) and even translated the comments in my Perl script from Dutch to English to help out some guy in New Zealand. So, if anyone's interested, feel free to drop me a mail at joriskuipers at xs4all dot nl (yes, that's my actual address: it's already spam-infested, so I don't even bother using NOSPAM-like fakes anymore) and I'll be happy to share. If there are more than a handful of people interested, I might even go through the trouble of setting up a web page with sources and examples. Basically, this is like Maven inside-out: instead of defining all your project meta-data in something like a POM and generating eclipse-projects from that, you take all the eclipse meta-data files as your source and create a build script from that. It means that the average developer doesn't need to know a thing about the build process, let alone learn a new tool like Maven: just use your IDE, create your projects and the rest is taken care of. Oh, and rewriting the script in Groovy is something I've been planning to do now for some time, popular demand might actually make it happen :) Joris
  16. Hi Joris, i was going thru the net looking for an almost same requirement. I have a project file with sone ant scripts that are used in getting few .ear's out of this project when used within WSAD IDE.
    I've tried running this ant script outside IDE but failed. Reason was due to usage of WSAD's built-in ant tasks: earexport, warexport, projectBuild,getJavacErrorCount etc.

Also I am new to WSAD. When i tried running the ant scripts outside IDE by commenting these in-built tasks , i could able to get the .ear's.
    I wanted to get an equivalent of these in-built tasks written so that i can make use of it outside of the IDE. But i am not sure exactly what these in-built tasks perform.

Could you please help me in trying to find out if the equivalent ant tasks for the in-built tasks can be written in ant/perl??
    Perl is only used to generate an Ant buildscript (or rather a series of scripts: a main script and a subscript for each WSAD project). After that, it's just Ant. I use the regular Ant tasks like javac, jar, war and ear. Only the ejbdeploy required some tweaking.
    Does this perl script perform the similar tasks done by projectBuild/earexport??
    I'm not that familiar with WSAD's built-in tasks, so I couldn't tell you. Have a look for yourself: after receiving several more requests per mail, I've compiled a small sample that contains the Perl script generator, a sample RAD project set, the generated build scripts and the build output. It can be found here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kuip/BuildscriptGenerator.zip It doesn't contain a lot of documentation, but should provide you with enough information to get you started. Greetings, Joris