Discussions

News: Sun announces Solaris 10

1. Sun announces Solaris 10 (29 messages)

Sun has announced its much anticipated Solaris 10, declaring the OS now free to download for commercial use, along with an aggressive services and support plan clearly devised to undercut Linux archrival Red Hat’s pricing.

With Solaris 10, Sun is looking to prove its OS is more scalable, performs better, is easier to manage, and costs less than Linux.

A key technical point is that "Solaris 10 will run your Linux applications unmodified, without recompiling, and within 3 [percent] to 5 percent of native speed," Loiacono said.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/15/46NNsolaris_1.html">Sun unleashes Solaris 10</a>

Threaded Messages (29)

2. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

"Solaris 10 will run your Linux applications unmodified, without recompiling, and within 3 [percent] to 5 percent of native speed"

Huh. Hopefully the wording above is worse than the indicated performance loss.
  3. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Sounds like in SUNW's mind, all apps are written in Java.
  4. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Sounds like in SUNW's mind, all apps are written in Java.

Nope .. they are talking binaries that run on Redhat .. those will also run on Solaris 10.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  5. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Forgive my ignorance, are binaries completely independent of the OS and are solely dependent on the hardware architecture? Does gcc compiler for Red Hat Linux and Solaris on the same hardware compile to the same machine code?
  6. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Linux and Solaris executables use them same format ELF.
    Major difference between them are system calls. In this case if you will write interceptor for Linux syscalls and forwad them to appropriate solaris call or calls you can run linux executable on Solaris (project Janus or FreeBSD linux emulation).
  7. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Linux and Solaris executables use them same format ELF. Major difference between them are system calls. In this case if you will write interceptor for Linux syscalls and forwad them to appropriate solaris call or calls you can run linux executable on Solaris (project Janus or FreeBSD linux emulation).

There are many issues: system calls, /proc files ystem, utilities that depend on kernel memory layout, on specific file locations, direct hardware access by superuser, etc.

But the key issue is Linux - native Solaris interoperability. For instance, I prefer to use native Apache http server (compiled for Solaris), but need to run Linux binary CGI or install Linux binary Apache module.

If you don’t solve interoperability on appropriate level, you will run Linux binaries on Linux on Solaris, instead of just running Linux binaries on Solaris.

Most Linux software I use may be compiled for Solaris. So, there is another question: Linux like environment (set of products) on Solaris vs. Linux binaries on Solaris.

Nebojsa Vasiljevic
  8. Solaris 10 on my T-41 ThinkPad[ Go to top ]

All I want for Christmas is to run Solaris 10 on my IBM ThinkPad T-41.

Anyone know the compatibility level of Solaris 10 on T-41? (I am using the Centrino wireless chipset)

Kind Regards,

Ted Slusser
  9. hardware for Solaris 10 upgrade[ Go to top ]

I'm just trying to upgrade Solaris 9 (5.9) on Sun Ultra 10
    to this new Solaris 10. Boot with the Solaris 10 CD, it keeps failing. Is there any hardware limit for Solaris 10?
    I mean my Sun Ultra 10 with 1024 MB RAM Sparc machine can
    be upgradable to Solaris 10. Thanks for any help, - yung
  10. Solaris 10 System requirements[ Go to top ]

You can certainly install Solaris 10 on your Ultra 10 - with a bit of luck you should even see a performance improvement.... with 256MB+ RAM, everyone can and should install Solaris 10.

Cheers,
    Daniel

www.nexle.dk/daniel
  11. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Running Linux application on solaris addition to its Opensource license make solaris more attractive .
    will Janus run all linux application or just some sort of?
    is Solaris final available for download , i could not find a link to its release.
  12. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Certainly good news, particularly the renewed vigor for supporting x86, including the 64-bit variety.

Solaris is a pretty good workhorse OS, dependable and usually secure. Not pretty, not sexy, just works. Other than power outages and major upgrades, we've never had Solaris go down.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  13. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Certainly good news, particularly the renewed vigor for supporting x86, including the 64-bit variety.Solaris is a pretty good workhorse OS, dependable and usually secure. Not pretty, not sexy, just works. Other than power outages and major upgrades, we've never had Solaris go down.Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol, Inc.Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters

Other than Apple's Mac OS X, what OS is pretty and sexy? I hope you weren't thinking Linux is pretty and/or sexy?
  14. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

BTW, this news kinda validates my ealier assertion that SUNW is not really that serious about Linux.
  15. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

A little late in the game to 'buy out' now... Linux has already stormed Earth with its acceptance. They should have made solaris free 5-10 years ago if they were hoping for as much acceptance. I like Solaris, but I can't see how it stands a chance against Linux now that IBM, Novell and half the planet's governments/industries are massively migrating to Linux... And besides, Linux is probably just as good in terms of robustness, features & reliability as Solaris at this point, in the 2.6 release, so giving Solaris away for free is sort of moot... Alrite, maybe not _as good_, but it's getting there quickly. Perhaps for Solaris hardware, SunOS still reigns supreme though.
  16. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

pardon, for SUN hardware, Solaris still may be best.
  17. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

And besides, Linux is probably just as good in terms of robustness, features &amp; reliability as Solaris at this point,.

What are you smoking ? ;)
  18. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

I kinda agree with you accessment. SUNW made a HUGE mistake a couple of years back when they decided to discontinue the Solaris x86 product line, bascially handing Linux the low-end market. Now they have a big catchup work to do.
  19. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

And besides, Linux is probably just as good in terms of robustness, features &amp; reliability as Solaris at this point, in the 2.6 release,

Sure. And Ford's recently release 2005 Mustang is just as good in terms of robustnees, features, & reliability as a BMW or Ferrari.

Why is it people over exaggerate Linux's capabilities?

I mean when BSD was at it's hight, I never heard these claims about it and BSD was a nicely DESIGNED OS.

I think it's LONG overdue to have a real OS that runs on x86 hardware. Up until now the only choice you had was Linux if you wanted a UNIX.

Go Solaris 10!
  20. Linux capabilities[ Go to top ]

I agree that it is nice to have more choice on x86: now you have the 3 BSDs, Linux and Solaris. I don't think Linux capabilities are exagerated as you said: look at what SGI is doing with it for instance, putting 256 Itanium processors at work using a single image of Linux.

I use Solaris at work and Linux at home, and I am really frustrated with the lack of tools on Solaris. I use to love Solaris's command line back in the 90's when I had to work on Sun, HP, IBM and VAX workstations. Today the Linux command line seems to be so much easier than Solaris.
  21. Linux capabilities[ Go to top ]

I believe you can compile on Solaris almost any linux package which does not depend on Linux specific system calls ( with Janus you will be able to run even linux specific stuff).
    95% of current tools for linux use libc + posix and can be compliled wihtout or with small changes on Solaris.
  22. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

And besides, Linux is probably just as good in terms of robustness, features &amp; reliability as Solaris at this point, in the 2.6 release, ...

That was my best laugh today ;-)
    Seriously, Linux is _by far_ not as robust and reliable as Solaris, this is simply the greatest unix I know, with about 1/10th of the downtime of Linux (according to our observations and I think I read something similar in iX) and absolutely great features with R10 (well, also with R9-extensions).
    Don't get me wrong, I write this on Linux (although I may even try Solaris 10 w/ Java Desktop on my home-PC :-) and love Linux, but it has not the reliability and enterprise features of Solaris, by far not (and I could never agree to "Slowlaris" :-)
    Like Cameron said, may not be sexy, but working (sexy in OSX sense, I think Solaris is the sexiest OS available ;-)

regards,

Messi
  23. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

I think Solaris got the Slowaris moniker mainly due to two issues:

1) It's GUI performance isn't great .. except maybe with the expensive accelerators that I've never had access to ;-)

2) It has a propensity to bog when running anything in swap space .. same as with Linux for that matter.

Linux is a much more "forgiving" desktop environment. I would also argue that Linux is a more "user friendly" OS if you are a command line user or a GUI user, which accounts for most people. However, Solaris is a more stable production environment.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  24. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

1) It's GUI performance isn't great .. except maybe with the expensive accelerators that I've never had access to ;-)

I have found this to be a common failing on UNIX systems for a long time. I have used IRIX, SunOS, Solaris, and various systems on IBM workstations. Although some graphics apps were fast, the overall performance of the GUI always seemed very sluggish (I guess most UNIX people used the command line!). Recently, Linux seems to have sped up considerably, to the point where I personally find KDE more responsive than Windows XP on the same machine.
  25. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

I think Solaris got the Slowaris moniker mainly due to two issues:1) It's GUI performance isn't great .. except maybe with the expensive accelerators that I've never had access to ;-)
    2)

Solaris got the moniker because the original Solaris 2.0-2.3 were just not ready for prime time. Compared to SunOS 4.x Solaris was slow. It also didn't help that Solaris had more overhead in that at the time both Linux and SunOS 4.x were single threaded, non SMP OS's while Solaris 2.x fully supported SMP and kernel threads from day one. Single CPU performance takes a hit.

As for the GUI, most UNIX GUI's are built on top of slow and ancient X Windows. In the Linux world you can run a GUI w/o X Windows getting involved.

But then again Solaris is meant as a server OS not a client/desktop OS, which is why you hear Sun employees openly talk about how they run Apple's OS X on their laptops.
    It has a propensity to bog when running anything in swap space .. same as with Linux for that matter. Linux is a much more "forgiving" desktop environment. I would also argue that Linux is a more "user friendly" OS if you are a command line user or a GUI user, which accounts for most people.

Depends on the speed of you swap HD and the amount of memory you have obviously but Linux *is* aimed at the desktop market, Solaris isn't. Linux also has had a lot of heavy development put in single CPU usage where Solaris has had the complete opposite development.

In a perfect world I'd run an OS desktop with a Solaris backend but Microsoft always seem to have something to say about that.
  26. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/06/10/linux_uptimes_comparable_with_solaris_on_busy_sites.html
  27. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

I've been waiting for this for a while, definitely good news. I've used Solaris for almost 15 years. I now generally use Linux where I can but if you want a solid well supported OS then Solaris is a damn good player. A lot of banks are moving towards Linux on the server side (from AIX, HP-UX, Solaris etc.) but Solaris is still a very viable option in most cases and when you include production support there's not much in it against Linux since Sun's tin comes with Solaris and free support.

We shouldn't concentrate on the Linux/Solaris 10 comparisons, they're both very similar. The point is, neither of them are from Microsoft so let's support both of them.

-John-
  28. Sounds very good! :>)[ Go to top ]

The main feature sounds like Java, "Write Once, Run in Everywhere". What it is Great for the Linux Dev!
  29. Sun announces Solaris 10[ Go to top ]

Well, i m using Solaris 10 and was using Linux before but i m now kinda obsessed with linux so i switched over to Solaris 10 which i downloaded from the SUN's site and can run all my stuff with no worries which i used to run under Linux. One of my other box runs FreeBSD which has never troubled me since i installed 2 years back but honestly Linux did.

Only Solaris need to consider is to support most of the x86 hardware

cheers !!
  30. Dtrace?[ Go to top ]

Nobodys mentioned it, its the primary selling point of Solaris 10!