Discussions

News: XINS 1.0 released: Remote API definition, creation, invokation

1. After 2 years of development, XINS version 1.0.0 has been released.

XINS is a technology used to define, create and invoke remote APIs. XINS is specification-oriented. When API specifications are written (in XML), XINS will transform them to HTML-based documentation and Java code for both the client- and the server-side. The communication is based on HTTP.

XINS competes with the over-complex SOAP technology. Main design goals include simplicity, scalability and testability.

XINS is not only a specification technology, but also an application development framework. It offers transaction logging, unique log documentation and active code generation.

For more information visit the XINS home page, read the user guide and have a look at the demonstration page.

XINS is published under the BSD License.
  2. XINS is a technology used to define, create and invoke remote APIs. XINS is specification-oriented. When API specifications are written (in XML), XINS will transform them to HTML-based documentation and Java code for both the client- and the server-side. The communication is based on HTTP.

XINS competes with the overcomplex SOAP technology. Main design goals include simplicity, scalability and testability.

XINS is not only a specification technology, but also an application development framework. It offers transaction logging, unique log documentation and active code generation.
    Replace mentally XING by SOAP and SOAP by CORBA and we read early SOAP propaganda. Is not it funny?
  3. LOL!
  4. Replace mentally XING by SOAP and SOAP by CORBA and we read early SOAP propaganda. Is not it funny?

I've done CORBA and I've done SOAP. You can say that SOAP in an improvement over CORBA. But SOAP is most of the time too complex:
     - Definitionos the API in WSDL that you need to write.
     - Validation in XML Schema -> Good luck if you want more restrictions than number or text.
     - UDDI (who really uses it?)
     - Envelops
     - Transport layer (almost everybody uses HTTP for it)

So XINS is in this way an improvement over SOAP.
  5. Replace mentally XING by SOAP and SOAP by CORBA and we read early SOAP propaganda. Is not it funny?
    I've done CORBA and I've done SOAP. You can say that SOAP in an improvement over CORBA.
    Sorry I can NOT say that SOAP is improvement over CORBA.
    But SOAP is most of the time too complex
    +1
  6. Replace mentally XING by SOAP and SOAP by CORBA and we read early SOAP propaganda. Is not it funny?
    I've done CORBA and I've done SOAP. You can say that SOAP in an improvement over CORBA.
    Sorry I can NOT say that SOAP is improvement over CORBA.
    But SOAP is most of the time too complex
    +1
    +1
  7. Can this do complex objects[ Go to top ]

... such as List of Maps?

.V
  8. Can this do complex objects[ Go to top ]

... such as List of Maps?.V
    I never did it but it's possible, just create a type like:

<type name="ListOfMap">
    <description>A list of map.</description>
    <list type="_properties" />